The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019-20 Utica Comets Thread

22 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

He's an upgrade on Granlund IMO.

Maybe?  RHS vs LHS is about all I see really.  Leivo skates around, but does he accomplish a whole heck of a lot?  I don't mind him as a guy who moves around in the line-up, but don't think he'd be missed if gone.  

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe?  RHS vs LHS is about all I see really.  Leivo skates around, but does he accomplish a whole heck of a lot?  I don't mind him as a guy who moves around in the line-up, but don't think he'd be missed if gone.  

Alf-man, Isn't it nice to have grinding W's who can dig out a puck along the boards? Remember the ugly scarcity we had in this dept, about 2 yrs back?

I recall(somewhat amusingly) was always throwing Granny/Baer into proposals, & getting slagged for these notions too! Was quite frustrated by how soft 60-70% of our roster appeared, especially our wingers. Really something, how we've turned over so much roster into balance, with size.

It's not yet a finished Monet. Don't know if we'll see the "Leivo Shuffle" forever..but we will need a few of these types to roll on in hard traffic.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Come on guys, what are you expecting from Leivo? He has 3 points in 8 games, is +1 and makes only $1.5M.....you really need to see more? Is it simply because he has not buried the chances he has had? He has set up a few good chances that weren't buried as well. Or is it that you want to blame him for Bo having the same number of points. You guys do realize that in the cap world everyone can't be the prolific scorer you want, right? Why do we always have to have players that we must complain about instead of recognizing their performance is fine vs salary cap and role? End of rant........

Yes, everything is relative, including Bob the used car salesman!

• Haha 1

Canucks could really use another legit top six winger that will get 50 - 60 points.  Doesn't need to be super high end but needs to have some speed and play making ability.  I know we all want Baertschi (me included) to be that guy but he never has reached that level and I am not convinced he can.  

image.png

Edited by Borvat

41 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I think Leivo does a lot of little things well but ultimately that does not make up for a lack of production in his role. He wins a lot of board battle and makes good decisions, but he needs to be able to simply generate more in his usage. I think he's a good 3rd line offensive player and I thought a line of Baertschi - Gaudette - Leivo as our 3rd line would improve a lot as the season went on. 

Don't see Baertschi back in Vancouver.   Don't think he'd do well with Leivo either.

Baertschi just joked that his line with Goldobin-Jasek were clicking because all 3 are Euros.  There's probably some truth to it though.  Gradin made a similar comment to Botchford in Pettersson's 1st camp.  Baertschi-Pettersson-Goldobin were a line and he was admiring their chemistry and told Botchford three Europeans who think the game the same way.

CBJ's goalie coach was just commenting that in Europe they don't like to take low quality shots and it's even viewed as selfish.  Baertschi doesn't shoot a lot but has one of the highest conversion rates because it's about scoring quality.  Leivo has great Corsi because he shoots at every opportunity.  Toronto probably moved on from him because they are low quality plays - they work with a company that categorises shot sequences.

Edited by mll
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Borvat said:

Canucks could really use another legit top six winger that will get 50 - 60 points.  Doesn't need to be super high end but needs to have some speed and play making ability.  I know we all want Baertschi (me included) to be that guy but he never has reached that level and I am not convinced he can.  

image.png

He's had flashes, but hasn't had any season over a 45-point pace yet. At his age, it's likely his ceiling is 50 points. 

20 minutes ago, mll said:

Don't see Baertschi back in Vancouver.   Don't think he'd do well with Leivo either.

Baertschi just joked that his line with Goldobin-Jasek were clicking because all 3 are Euros.  There's probably some truth to it though.  Gradin made a similar comment to Botchford in Pettersson's 1st camp.  Baertschi-Pettersson-Goldobin were a line and he was admiring their chemistry and told Botchford three Europeans who think the game the same way.

CBJ's goalie coach was just commenting that in Europe they don't like to take low quality shots and it's even viewed as selfish.  Baertschi doesn't shoot a lot but has one of the highest conversion rates because it's about scoring quality.  Leivo has great Corsi because he shoots at every opportunity.  Toronto probably moved on from him because they are low quality plays - they work with a company that categorises shot sequences.

I can see where you're coming from in regards to having three players with similar mindsets, but I don't think it would work consistently at the NHL level. I liked Pettersson and Goldobin together, but it became dangerous whenever they didn't have the puck. 

I think you're just overthinking it a bit with Leivo. His corsi is good because he wins possession a lot (ie. good along the boards) and he makes good decisions. He doesn't just bury his head and shoot it every time, that's Pearson. He can retrieve a puck and make a simple play, but can't convert. Toronto traded him as a favour more than anything else just like we did with Biega. 

40 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Come on guys, what are you expecting from Leivo? He has 3 points in 8 games, is +1 and makes only $1.5M.....you really need to see more? Is it simply because he has not buried the chances he has had? He has set up a few good chances that weren't buried as well. Or is it that you want to blame him for Bo having the same number of points. You guys do realize that in the cap world everyone can't be the prolific scorer you want, right? Why do we always have to have players that we must complain about instead of recognizing their performance is fine vs salary cap and role? End of rant........

Leivo had like 4 points in the last 25-30 games of last season playing with Pettersson and Boeser. He hasn't done much more since. That's not good enough for someone in the top 6. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

He's had flashes, but hasn't had any season over a 45-point pace yet. At his age, it's likely his ceiling is 50 points. 

All the stars would need to align and he would need to remain healthy.  I like Sven but I think it best to find him a new home if possible and free up the cap space.  Goldy is cheaper and younger I may hold on to him and see what happens.  That Eriksson contract is really gumming up the works and Strombone is still photobombing the cap.  $9M schmillion of waste. 

1 hour ago, mll said:

Granlund was used in a defensive role while Leivo in an offensive one.  He doesn't kill penalties and doesn't produce all that much with the prime opportunities received.  His P60 was 294th despite playing top-6 and PP1 (Fs with min 40 games).  

Granlund became redundant and it looks like we are trying to shift towards 3 good two way lines (the "3rd" line is still in progress). Guys like Schaller and Motte take the brunt of the defensive responsibilities and guys like Pearson and Virtanen are utilized in a similar role. Granlund was often on the PP because of lack of depth (injuries). Leivo while maybe not as strong defensively is a big body that wins pucks and is getting to the right spots to generate space and chances. The only major knock right now is converting the chances he gets and honestly, he isn't the only guy that has struggled in that department. Granlund's only real advantage over Leivo is the defensive side of the game and we've got that covered, even LE included who is basically a massively overpaid version of Granlund at this point anyway.

Until scoring becomes a pressing issue we shouldn't call anyone up. What I mean is that we go through a low scoring stretch but that hasn't been the case so far. Unless of course injuries hit. Baer would be the first in top 6.

As a team we should be trying to focus on getting the #1 PP going. We have all the personnel for it. Horvat, Miller, Petey, Boes, Hughes. That PP should be in the top 15, not bottom 15

• Upvote 1

AR-191029803.jpg&MaxH=200&MaxW=200

Ben Birnell

Wednesday

Oct 23, 2019 at 4:49 AM

UTICA – The Comets have rocketed to a fast start.

The team has won five consecutive games, which constitutes the American Hockey League team’s best start among their seven seasons here. The Comets are one of two teams – along with North Division rival Toronto – to remain undefeated. And, the Comets have amassed a league-most 29 goals — Reid Boucher has an AHL-best eight of them — while allowing 11 to begin the season. So, yes, there has been some early-season success for the Comets, who have played a fast-paced style thanks to an injection of skill and talent at forward. There have also been key efforts from the defense and goaltending. Get the latest stories delivered to your inbox every morning with the Observer-Dispatch daily newsletter: Choose the Daily Newsletter option and pick from five other selections to expand your coverage.“We’re really happy where we’re at,” Comets coach Trent Cull said Tuesday as the team prepared for games Friday against Binghamton and Saturday at Hershey. "The guys deserve all the credit. They've done a very good job with how they've meshed with each other and how they're finding each other.” One of the best examples of that chemistry has come from linemates Nikolay Goldobin, Sven Baertschi and Lukas Jasek, who has stepped in at center with the team in need at the position. Goldobin (nine points) and Baertschi (eight points) have wasted little time making their case to get back to the NHL. Both are among top-10 for AHL points along with Boucher. “I’m getting some confidence, obviously,” Goldobin said Tuesday. “This league is always hard. There’s a lot of young players who are trying to prove (they can play in the NHL). It is different hockey, so it is hard as well.”

Goldobin, the 24-year-old Russian winger, was a standout in the Comets’ three wins last week in accumulating a goal, seven assists – with a few highlight plays, among them — and a plus-7 rating. For his efforts, he was the first Comets skater to earn the AHL’s Player of the Week award Monday.

“I wish I could get NHL player of the week. But it is still big for me,” Goldobin said with a smile. “It has only been four games, but hopefully I’ll get a (NHL) call-up or something.”

Goldobin – who is working on his all-around game — said he’s enjoyed playing with Baertschi and Jasek. How has the line found chemistry so quickly?

“I think the good thing is that we’re all Europeans,” Baertschi said with a laugh after Saturday’s win. “We all sort of think the same way. With Goldy, I’ve watched him play and I know what he’s all about. I know where the puck is going to end up. He’s such a versatile player. He can do it all, so it has been a lot of fun playing with him.

“Jasek is really good, too. ... We’re there for him. We’re trying to push him in the right direction, so he can be the best player he can be. It has been outstanding for our line, so hopefully we can continue that.”

Getting their kicks

The Comets took the opportunity to take time away from hockey, taking in an NFL game before the team’s schedule picks up.

On Sunday morning, players and coaching staff hopped on a bus and traveled to Buffalo to take in the Bills’ win over Miami.

“It was nice to hang out with the guys,” Goldobin said with a smile, “and drink water and eat hot dogs.” Wacey Hamilton said the excursion provided a good team-building experience. The team also attended a Carolina Panthers game on a trip to North Carolina last season. “It was just fun hanging around and not being on your way to work,” Cull said. “I think it has been great. I wanted to make sure we were (getting an opportunity to do) some of those things. I thought it was key for us for everyone to get on the same page together and see each other outside of work. I think it has been effective.” The team got to see a rare play when Bills safety Micah Hyde made an athletic play in jumping high in the air to catch an onside kick before returning it for a touchdown to help seal a 31-21 victory. Hamilton said his teammates were “fired up” on the play.

“I don’t think any of the guys had any fun at all,” Hamilton deadpanned Tuesday. “It was fun to watch. Those guys are such amazing athletes.”

Roll call

Forwards Carter Bancks (upper body), Tyler Graovac (leg) and Jonah Gadjovich (upper body strain) were not part of the main practice group Tuesday.

Bancks and Graovac each skated following Tuesday’s team practice. Gadjovich was not part of that group.

Cull said the team will see how each player progresses this week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great start for the team....man that Jim Benning is terrible for Utica, or so certain people around here would have had you believe just a couple weeks ago

This thread went from completely negative leading up to the season to this... still waiting for the resident negative Nancy's to chime back in as soon as Utica loses a game or two though

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Whorvat said:

Great start for the team....man that Jim Benning is terrible for Utica, or so certain people around here would have had you believe just a couple weeks ago

This thread went from completely negative leading up to the season to this... still waiting for the resident negative Nancy's to chime back in as soon as Utica loses a game or two though

Everyone expected players like Schaller or Motte to be waived, not Baertschi and Goldobin. That's a big difference right there.