The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019-20 Utica Comets Thread

2 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Comets sign Matt Petgrave (D), Dyson Stevenson (C), Aaron Thow(D), and Tanner Sorenson (F)

Likely all depth for the Comets to play in Kalamazoo and be first for injury call ups.  3 or the 4 have suited up for the Comets last year.

I'm a fan of moves like this. With the amount of PTOs the Comets have signed the past 2 years they clearly need more bodies under contract they feel are capable of playing at an AHL level. If they already have some guys in the system playing in the ECHL is saves some of the headache of having to scramble to find PTO worthy players if heavy injuries occur again.

It must be tough for AHL teams having to deal with their own injuries but also loosing players to the NHL team when they have injuries.  I never understood why the AHL teams needed so many players until just recently.  Sometimes it takes me a little extra time to see things. :huh: 

Edited by dpn1

7 hours ago, Mbnuckfan said:

I am a huge Canuck fan living in Manitoba, I had the opportunity to spend a few days in New York state this past weekend and it was beautiful. I did get a chance to go into Utica, but it was on Sunday and of course the team store was closed. I ended up checking out several outlets and sporting goods stores but it turns out the hardest place to find a Utica Comets hat is in Utica lol. After snapping a few pics of the Aud, it was time to leave even though i failed to acquire a new hat, the drive was still worth it.

theaud.jpg

I wish I knew you were going to be here so I could have pointed you in the right direction.  Herb Philipson's which is a regional sporting goods and outdoor store is the only place that is licensed to sell Utica Comets merchandise and they have a store in New Hartford maybe 5 miles from the Aud. They are going through some financial issues right now and facing bankruptcy so hopefully they will survive.  It was a family owned business for decades and the family sold off to a long time employee about two years ago who looks like he bit off more than he can chew.

https://herbphilipsons.com/collections/utica-comets

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

There was an interview with Jonah Gadjovich on the radio before the summer break. He wasn't blaming anyone for any problems last season. He was thanking the Utica coaching staff and saying all the right things about learning from his problems. He was sounding determined to train to get faster during the summer and learning to think the game better. Hope he was sincere. Hope he's successful. Because having an improved Jonah Gadjovich like that on Utica or the Canucks would be good for the hockey fan, smile muscles.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Any projected lineups? I feel like a lot of players that are in the bubble between Utica and the Canucks haven't been discussed (eg Perron, Bailey, Graovac, etc)

Boucher-Gaudette-MacEwen

Perron-Graovac-Bailey

Palmu-Schaller-Lind

Gadjovich-?-Jasek

Juolevi-Rafferty

Sautner-Chatfield

Brisebois-Eliot

Teves

Bachman

MacIntyre

Kielly

DiPietro

This is just the signed Canuck players and assuming Schaller is sent down. Don't have the list of AHL contracts consolidated. Are Bancks and Hamilton still with the team? We look to have a lot more depth coming into this year.

On 8/26/2019 at 4:17 PM, theo5789 said:

Any projected lineups? I feel like a lot of players that are in the bubble between Utica and the Canucks haven't been discussed (eg Perron, Bailey, Graovac, etc)

Boucher-Gaudette-MacEwen

Perron-Graovac-Bailey

Palmu-Schaller-Lind

Gadjovich-?-Jasek

Juolevi-Rafferty

Sautner-Chatfield

Brisebois-Eliot

Teves

Bachman

MacIntyre

Kielly

DiPietro

This is just the signed Canuck players and assuming Schaller is sent down. Don't have the list of AHL contracts consolidated. Are Bancks and Hamilton still with the team? We look to have a lot more depth coming into this year.

Utica Comets currently have these players under AHL contracts

Forwards

Carter Bancks

Wacey Hamilton

Vincent Arseneau

Carter Camper

Dyson Stevenson

Seamus Malone

Tanner Sorensen

Dylan Sadowy

Defense

Dylan Blujus

Stefan LeBlanc

Zach Frye

Matt Petgrave

Aaron Thow

Corey Hergott Canucks Army informant on the Comets projects this lineup

Boucher-Camper-MacEwen

Perron-Gaudette-Bailey

Jasek-Graovac-Lind

Gadjovich-Hamilton-Bancks

Malone/Arseneau

Juolevi-Chatfield

Sautner-Brisebois

Teves-Rafferty

Eliot/Blujus/LeBlanc

Comets already have 5 players who are considered part of the veteran rule (Boucher, Bancks, Camper, Graovac, and Hamilton).  You can have as many as you want on the roster, but on any given night you can only dress 5 veterans per game.  Depending who gets sent down Utica might run into another veteran conundrum. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Utica Comets currently have these players under AHL contracts

Forwards

Carter Bancks

Wacey Hamilton

Vincent Arseneau

Carter Camper

Dyson Stevenson

Seamus Malone

Tanner Sorensen

Dylan Sadowy

Defense

Dylan Blujus

Stefan LeBlanc

Zach Frye

Matt Petgrave

Aaron Thow

Corey Hergott Canucks Army informant on the Comets projects this lineup

Boucher-Camper-MacEwen

Perron-Gaudette-Bailey

Jasek-Graovac-Lind

Gadjovich-Hamilton-Bancks

Malone/Arseneau

Juolevi-Chatfield

Sautner-Brisebois

Teves-Rafferty

Eliot/Blujus/LeBlanc

Comets already have 5 players who are considered part of the veteran rule (Boucher, Bancks, Camper, Graovac, and Hamilton).  You can have as many as you want on the roster, but on any given night you can only dress 5 veterans per game.  Depending who gets sent down Utica might run into another veteran conundrum. 

We will certainly be waiving one or two guys down. It's unlikely a trade will be made at this point, so it'll be interesting how they rotate around the vets or maybe loan one to another farm team again like we did with Gagner. As far as I know Palmu is coming to camp here, but if he's not in the projected lineup, I guess the assumption is he's loaned out again or possibly down the ECHL? If that's the case, he's pretty much a write off.

Definitely a lot of depth, but we will see how high quality of depth it'll be. I'm actually curious at how the goaltending situation is going to play out. Are Bachman and McIntyre considered vets if they're dressed too? I think Kielly is the next developing young goalie we have that we may see within a year or two making a push for a backup spot (assuming he's up to the task), but does that push DiPietro to the ECHL?

Lots of questions to be answered. Will be an interesting season.

On 8/10/2019 at 5:10 PM, Stierlitz said:

In fact, Kulbakov has signed PTO with Dinamo, Minsk.

BTW there are three KHL clubs in Moscow: CSKA, Spartak, Dynamo.

Not sure if you watched much of him Stierlitz, but knowing you follow hockey over there try and catch a game or two of him. I really liked him last year in Utica, he's very active in net, fun to watch, bouncing all over the place, full of energy. I wish him the best. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, theo5789 said:

We will certainly be waiving one or two guys down. It's unlikely a trade will be made at this point, so it'll be interesting how they rotate around the vets or maybe loan one to another farm team again like we did with Gagner. As far as I know Palmu is coming to camp here, but if he's not in the projected lineup, I guess the assumption is he's loaned out again or possibly down the ECHL? If that's the case, he's pretty much a write off.

Definitely a lot of depth, but we will see how high quality of depth it'll be. I'm actually curious at how the goaltending situation is going to play out. Are Bachman and McIntyre considered vets if they're dressed too? I think Kielly is the next developing young goalie we have that we may see within a year or two making a push for a backup spot (assuming he's up to the task), but does that push DiPietro to the ECHL?

Lots of questions to be answered. Will be an interesting season.

Not too much news of Petrus atm.  During prospects camp Ryan Johnson was asked if Palmu would be returning to Utica and RJ said "You will have to ask Jim".  Which likely speaks volumes where the organization stands with Petrus atm.  He is kind of a question mark and would be surprising if you ever saw him step back into North America at this point.

As of right now it sounds like McIntyre is our number 3 goalie on the depth chart due to what seems like the coaching staff and management losing confidence in Bachman after his 6-2 loss against Minnesota (albeit not his fault after team playing back to back at the end of the road trip), and not knowing where Bachman is in his achilles injury recovery.  I would assume both would be penciled in as number 1 and 2 in Utica.  But according to AHL.com, goalies do not count to the veteran status of the 5 players.

Could see Bachman loaned to another AHL team if you really wanted to insure that DiPietro or Kielly got games in the AHL.

• Cheers 1