The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019-20 Utica Comets Thread

37 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Nice to see Rafferty scoring but I am really curious on how he plays away from the puck.

We've seen a lot of high scoring AHL defenseman who can't defend or score at the NHL level.

I can't really speak to how he actually looks, considering I don't see much of the Comets, but the fact that he has the highest +/- on the team (+11) probably bodes well. 

5 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I can't really speak to how he actually looks, considering I don't see much of the Comets, but the fact that he has the highest +/- on the team (+11) probably bodes well. 

Could mean he's sheltered and used strictly offensively too.

17 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Could mean he's sheltered and used strictly offensively too.

It's hard to say. I've been scouring the interweb for advanced stats on AHL players and haven't found anything. Hell, I can't even find his TOI. The only thing I found of any relevance was the write up. If anybody who's been watching the games could chime in, that'd be great.

A smart two-way D-man that likes to get involved in all three zones. Showcases smooth skating ability and, while not always the fastest guy on the ice, a willingness to backcheck quickly. Positionally sound, Rafferty isn't caught off-guard often or found in disadvantageous situations. Transitions up-ice quickly and makes good decisions consistently. Could work on physicality and getting his stick in lanes, but isn't weak in his own end. All-in-all, a solid all-around defender with lots of raw potential to be refined. (Curtis Joe, EP 2019)

42 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

It's hard to say. I've been scouring the interweb for advanced stats on AHL players and haven't found anything. Hell, I can't even find his TOI. The only thing I found of any relevance was the write up. If anybody who's been watching the games could chime in, that'd be great.

A smart two-way D-man that likes to get involved in all three zones. Showcases smooth skating ability and, while not always the fastest guy on the ice, a willingness to backcheck quickly. Positionally sound, Rafferty isn't caught off-guard often or found in disadvantageous situations. Transitions up-ice quickly and makes good decisions consistently. Could work on physicality and getting his stick in lanes, but isn't weak in his own end. All-in-all, a solid all-around defender with lots of raw potential to be refined. (Curtis Joe, EP 2019)

Yeah the only evidence I will probably find is watching him live myself.

10 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Not much out there for advanced stats but this guy is a good follow on Twitter and he spend a lot of time putting together this recent Comets report card.

https://cometsharvest.wordpress.com/2019/12/06/comets-corsi-project-report-cards/

• Thanks 1

I quoted this from an article in the Comet's forum offered (linked) by @UticaHockey

https://cometsharvest.wordpress.com/2019/12/06/comets-corsi-project-report-cards/

Offense/Powerplay: As previously discussed with Brogan Rafferty, Olli Juolevi needed a babysitter on the powerplay because his footspeed was allowing opponents way too many short-handed scoring opportunities. Juolevi’s offense this season has generally been quite lackluster, just 36% of his shot attempts found their way on net. At even-strength, only seven of his 26 shot-attempts made it to the net. Given what we know now about his hip problems, perhaps this has been what’s holding his shot back from being as successful as it was last season. Last season, in 18 games played, Juolevi rattled off 34 shots on goal. This season he barely cracked a shot per-game.

Defense/Penalty Kill: I’ve written about Juolevi’s skating concerns ad nauseam. Frankly, there isn’t much more I can elaborate on with his stats. Juolevi’s ability to transition the puck through the neutral zone with crisp-passing led him to a pretty decent positive shot-attempt differential at even-strength. His ultra-low on-ice shooting % of 2.94% could indicate that he was due for some puck luck to go his way eventually.

Had he not been overplayed to the extent he was, OJ might have found his footing. Being used in premiere roles on the powerplay, penalty kill, while being the team’s 1st pairing/match-up guy was a disaster waiting to happen. I don’t know how, Ryan Johnson, a man who spent the last seven seasons in a “player development” role with the Canucks, could possibly think that a kid coming off a full knee reconstruction, should be given that kind of work-load.

Makes one wonder about the bag skate during preseason.  One would think that the trainers/medical team would have intervened and alerted the coaching staff in Vancouver and Utica to backoff on OJ's  activities for a certain timeframe.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I quoted this from an article in the Comet's forum offered (linked) by @UticaHockey

Offense/Powerplay: As previously discussed with Brogan Rafferty, Olli Juolevi needed a babysitter on the powerplay because his footspeed was allowing opponents way too many short-handed scoring opportunities. Juolevi’s offense this season has generally been quite lackluster, just 36% of his shot attempts found their way on net. At even-strength, only seven of his 26 shot-attempts made it to the net. Given what we know now about his hip problems, perhaps this has been what’s holding his shot back from being as successful as it was last season. Last season, in 18 games played, Juolevi rattled off 34 shots on goal. This season he barely cracked a shot per-game.

Defense/Penalty Kill: I’ve written about Juolevi’s skating concerns ad nauseam. Frankly, there isn’t much more I can elaborate on with his stats. Juolevi’s ability to transition the puck through the neutral zone with crisp-passing led him to a pretty decent positive shot-attempt differential at even-strength. His ultra-low on-ice shooting % of 2.94% could indicate that he was due for some puck luck to go his way eventually.

Had he not been overplayed to the extent he was, OJ might have found his footing. Being used in premiere roles on the powerplay, penalty kill, while being the team’s 1st pairing/match-up guy was a disaster waiting to happen. I don’t know how, Ryan Johnson, a man who spent the last seven seasons in a “player development” role with the Canucks, could possibly think that a kid coming off a full knee reconstruction, should be given that kind of work-load.

Makes one wonder about the bag skate during preseason.  One would think that the trainers/medical team would have intervened and alerted the coaching staff in Vancouver and Utica to backoff on OJ's  activities for a certain timeframe.

Shoulda coulda woulda. 

If his mins were managed everyone would go nuts. Remember when WD started BO on the 4th line?

• Like 1
  • Wat 1

48 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Shoulda coulda woulda. 

If his mins were managed everyone would go nuts. Remember when WD started BO on the 4th line?

The players rehabilitation and training is far more important, than a bunch of whining fans.  Besides, Bo' situation was a different matter altogether.  He wasn't returning from knee surgery.  I remember a lot of fans were questioning the idea of bag skating Olli at the time.  I had no idea regarding the game situation in Utica.

One thing I do question in the article, is the statement 'full knee reconstruction'.  I'm not sure if that was the case.

Sorry to Utica fans.  I inadvertently posted this in the wrong forum,

Edited by higgyfan

20 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Wow. - Rafferty showing a slick dangle there that would make QH proud!! ( shot saved, though - deserved a better fate)

Rafferty is turning out to be a real great find by Jim and Company.  His time on ice isn't sheltered at all and he just seems to be getting more and more confident as we go along this season.  We have a great right dman prospect that costed us absolutely nothing including a draft pick.  I share your enthusiasm about his play.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Googlie said:

5 - 3 at end of 2nd on yet another PP goal by the Marlies

Are you surprised at all about how well Mikie is playing here in his first Pro season?  Considering how young he is, he seems to be ahead of even Thatcher was at Mikie's age.  Add to that the young fella seems to have all but established himself as the defacto #1 goalie in Utica and our goalie situation is looking great.  We also have Selovs in the OHL this year and I have a real good feeling about him.

• Upvote 1