The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019-20 Utica Comets Thread

9 minutes ago, bullishfor2012 said:

I hope Pettersson takes ownership of the move...but you gotta give the nod to the originator of the move, don't you think?  Thanks for your game day updates.

Petey prolly practiced it after seeing Forsberg's on the Swedish postage stamp

• Haha 1

Goldy and Baer are having seasons that should led to trades. A long Calder run is very valuable as well so there is a judgement call by Benning as to who is moved. IMHO both these players should be moved for picks. The way NHL coaches are being fired, even GM's, the odds are there will be deals made by the TDL. 

On 1/18/2020 at 7:27 AM, theo5789 said:

Jasek seems to be a very under the radar prospect. Swapped to center and playing top 6 minutes. Bailey and Lind seem to be going right now too, so Jasek can't be too out of place there. Smart move to get a head start on him at center as early as training camp/preseason.

Jasek has been solid this season, he isn’t the best center, but Cull is giving him some stretch on missing assignments here and there while playing he new position. But you are right the fact Cull trusts him in this new role says a lot. He is turning more and more into a Hansen type player for us. 

All our young kids are looking good.

Lind playing top line minutes and looking good, very feisty lol. Love his chippy attitude. My concern with him was if he could keep up the pace and play of the physical AHL but he is shining and showing he can play in that league with no problems.

Bailey is the fastest human in the AHL I swear. His offence wasn’t clicking at the start, but now he is on a friggin tear! I don’t know where Bailey fits long term, but I’m enjoying his storey. I think he belongs in the NHL with his size and speed, but he can make some bone headed plays sometimes. He makes some pretty bad passes lol. 

Gadjovich has been playing down the line up, but he’s looked great in an agitating, grinder role. He gets power play time as well and has proven to be a good net front presence and seems to have a knack for tips and deflections, he also has a really hard one timer.

Now my favourite....DiPietro! The kid has been solid, looks great in net and in my opinion has stolen the starting gig. He is smaller but his positioning and athletics are off the charts. He is a student of the game and is absorbing the pro game like a sponge. I’m very high on this kid, I just don’t know how to project him due to his size. My heart tells me we have a NHL calibre goalie in our hands, just not sure if it’s a starter or back up...time will tell.

• Cheers 3

I wouldn't be surprised to see Goldy back with the big team next season.  Cull is coaching him the same way Green handled Jake in his stint in Utica;  1st line 5 on 5 with Boucher .... 1st unit Powerplay, again with Boucher, and 2nd unit PK, with, guess who, Boucher again.  The chemistry they have developed is palpable, and many of Boucher's goals have been on Goldy assists.

Goldy "gets it". He's  hustling on the forecheck, putting his head down and pumping his legs on the  backcheck, and while he will never hit like a truck, he is putting a shoulder to the player on the boards. On the PK he is blocking shots as well as posing that breakaway threat. Along with Baertschi,  his NHL pedigree shows in his passing, and with him eliminating (most) of those blind passes to nowhere, is now prolly our best.

A long Calder Cup run would do him a world of good, but if Comets exit early, I could see him arriving in Vancouver to finish our run (not sure though if a team can add players after the playoffs have started, or if rosters are frozen at the beginning)

Edited by Googlie
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

On 1/18/2020 at 8:30 AM, Googlie said:

Those of us old enough to remember the old Moose days can see some resemblances.  The boost to the big club when Kesler, Burrows, Bieksa, Edler and Hansen all got called up, sparking the run to the cup finals, might be replicated by Bailey, Lind, Jasek, Rafferty and Juolevi.   Not saying the skill level is comparable, but the injection of energetic, hungry youth does work wonders.  Don't always need to trade for some other team's discards, or sign FAs to generate excitement and success.

(And as an aside, I think Jasek is the unsung hero of the Comets this season)

Very good post. I’ve been seeing a lot of the old moose team in this current comets team. We have good vets mixed with great young talent. I love that we can now watch these games in AHL live cause watching the Moose back in the day was a pain lol.

side note, it looks like you were able to watch yesterdays game..I tried logging in to watch later last night but the game was missing on the AHL live portal so couldn’t watch it?? You ever have that happen before?

Edited by Attila Umbrus

5 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

side note, it looks like you were able to watch yesterdays game..I tried logging in to watch later last night but the game was missing on the AHL live portal so couldn’t watch it?? You ever have that happen before?

I can't say I have tried after the fact to retroactively watch a game.  Didn't really know one could do that. 

My tablet has a screen video capture app, so after a goal or a play I can rewind the feed and then screen capture the action.  I assumed that after the game was finished and the feed discontinued that the 3 hours or so just deleted

ps. Just checked. -  yes, you are right.  I can replay Friday's game, but Saturday's isnt listed at all.  Strange

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

I can't say I have tried after the fact to retroactively watch a game.  Didn't really know one could do that. 

My tablet has a screen video capture app, so after a goal or a play I can rewind the feed and then screen capture the action.  I assumed that after the game was finished and the feed discontinued that the 3 hours or so just deleted

ps. Just checked. -  yes, you are right.  I can replay Friday's game, but Saturday's isnt listed at all.  Strange

Yeah usually it’s my only option due to my work schedule and such. I end up watching the Comets games where and when I can! I wouldn’t pay for ahl live if I couldn’t do that lol. Anyways, thanks for confirming. It is strange. I’m hoping they fix the error In a few days so I can re-watch. 

cheers!

5 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Goldy and Baer are having seasons that should led to trades. A long Calder run is very valuable as well so there is a judgement call by Benning as to who is moved. IMHO both these players should be moved for picks. The way NHL coaches are being fired, even GM's, the odds are there will be deals made by the TDL. 

I think that if JB can find a home for Baer, it has to happen.  Love Sven, but his salary cap is too high and it seems that management are not seeing him as a fit for the Canucks.

As for Goldy, I'm not even sure his $900,000 is included in the team's salary cap and even if it is, I doubt JB worries about the hit.  He's not considered a roster player and his cap isn't buried like Sven's. 

I agree with the following comment that suggests that Goldy's game has improved this year.  Goldy ends this season as a RFA, so there is still a chance that he re-signs with the Nucks.

3 hours ago, Googlie said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Goldy back with the big team next season.  Cull is coaching him the same way Green handled Jake in his stint in Utica;  1st line t on 5 with Boucher .... 1st unit Powerplay, again with Boucher, and 2nd unit PK, with, guess who, Boucher again.  The chemistrybtheybhave developed is palpable, and may of Boucher's goals have been on Goldy assists.

Goldy "gets it". He's  hustling on the forecheck, putting his head down and pumping his legs on the  backcheck, and while he will never hit like a truck, he is putting a shoulder to the player on the boards. On the PK he is blocking shots as well as posing that breakaway threat. Along with Baertschi,  his NHL pedigree shows in his passing, and with him eliminating (most) of those blind passes to nowhere, is now prolly our best.

A long Calder Cup run would do him a world of good, but if Comets exit early, I could see him arriving in Vancouver to finish our run (not sure though if a team can add players after the playoffs have started, or if rosters are frozen at the beginning)

4 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Yeah usually it’s my only option due to my work schedule and such. I end up watching the Comets games where and when I can! I wouldn’t pay for ahl live if I couldn’t do that lol. Anyways, thanks for confirming. It is strange. I’m hoping they fix the error In a few days so I can re-watch. 

cheers!

I see it's available now.  

What was interesting during our to and fro is that the Comets stil hadn't updated their results on their website.  Was still showing (and still is as I type) 0 - 0 almost as though the game never existed!!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I think that if JB can find a home for Baer, it has to happen.  Love Sven, but his salary cap is too high and it seems that management are not seeing him as a fit for the Canucks.

As for Goldy, I'm not even sure his $900,000 is included in the team's salary cap and even if it is, I doubt JB worries about the hit.  He's not considered a roster player and his cap isn't buried like Sven's. 

I agree with the following comment that suggests that Goldy's game has improved this year.  Goldy ends this season as a RFA, so there is still a chance that he re-signs with the Nucks.

Yeah they could re-sign him for some depth and competition come training camp. Boucher too.

Baer will be easier to trade next off-season with one year left if he doesn't get dealt this year.

5 hours ago, Googlie said:

I see it's available now.  

What was interesting during our to and fro is that the Comets stil hadn't updated their results on their website.  Was still showing (and still is as I type) 0 - 0 almost as though the game never existed!!

Howdy, yup just finished watching it finally! Great game by the boys. AHL live has its glitches but this year has been the best i’ve seen it.

Last year when they switched to their new HD streaming service it was full of glitches! And the previous years you were paying NHL center ice kinda dollars just to see your favourite team play, it hurt forking out that kind of money. The new system is so much more affordable. I do laugh tho when people say it’s only 69.99 for a season pass...yeah in American dollars...so 100 Canadian, which is still 3 times cheaper than it used to be. Good times being an AHL fan, so much better access to content now and for a way cheaper price! 

Comets looked tired vs Crunch today. Late rally fell short. Actually McMcIntyre made some spectacular saves to make it closer than could have been.  Comets have a brutal schedule that started this past Wednesday, five games in seven days to this coming Wednesday.

I missed the game due to a golf clash, but have just watched the bulk of it (using fast forward where appropriate).  Seems like we were hemmed in our own end on frequent occasions, and, notably, a few players were -3 on the day. Prolly a good one to miss!!

Edited by Googlie