The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019-20 Utica Comets Thread

1 hour ago, TGT68 said:

I disagree here somewhat.  The ongoing history of this really means for Ferlands long term life he needs to go on LTIR and retire imho.  

He can’t retire, or he gives up his contract.  He will stay on LTIR until his contract is finished.  Then he gets his salary, and the benefits of having the Canuck’s medical support, which means US medical care.  If he retires he gets no more money, and is stuck with our crappy medical system.  He’d likely never get the proper care he needs, and would suffer the rest of his life.  

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

Should Crosby have retired?

Is this really comparable?  A guy with 5 years of known concussion history who has admitted he hid concussions from his team before coming clean last year?  Out a third time this year, the  last two times from lingering issues from previous concussions.  

Would you try to come back from that? Or would you try to get past it one more time and never risk it again?  If it takes a year to recover this time what happens next time?  Cause they often get worse when you are on that cycle  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

He can’t retire, or he gives up his contract.  He will stay on LTIR until his contract is finished.  Then he gets his salary, and the benefits of having the Canuck’s medical support, which means US medical care.  If he retires he gets no more money, and is stuck with our crappy medical system.  He’d likely never get the proper care he needs, and would suffer the rest of his life.  

Hey Alf.  How is this materially different from "he needs to go on LTIR and retire"?  Lol. 

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, TGT68 said:

Is this really comparable?  A guy with 5 years of known concussion history who has admitted he hid concussions from his team before coming clean last year?  Out a third time this year, the  last two times from lingering issues from previous concussions.  

Would you try to come back from that? Or would you try to get past it one more time and never risk it again?  If it takes a year to recover this time what happens next time?  Cause they often get worse when you are on that cycle  

Crosby missed an entire year.  What do you mean 5 years of concussion history?  Can you elaborate on that point?

• Cheers 1

53 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  He’s retiring (:lol:) to Robidas Island.  Is there a better island, with a higher standard of living?  

Lupul-ville, Pronger's kingdom, Hossa's laundromat, Horton's villa, Clarkson's castle. Maybe more...........all had bigger cap hits with term that all sat out the duration of their contracts, most never tried to come back or had a rash all of a sudden but was fine when his NHL salary was still good and his team was a cup winner/contender

Robidas went to the Laffs...need I say more!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Crosby missed an entire year.  What do you mean 5 years of concussion history?  Can you elaborate on that point?

If you read up on him you will find articles saying he got his first concussion as a rookie (so 2014-15).   Also you will see that the Hurricanes questioned his about the concussion last year and how it could not be pinned down to a single play and he admitted to hiding it from the team ( that is 2018-19).  From that and the progression of concussions could we then maybe assume several hidden concussions in the years between?   Add another concussion that seemed to be gotten in his fight in the LA game in 2019 (this season) and has lingered throughout this season.  

So at least three known concussions over 5 years by a player who has admitted hiding them (so maybe a few more).  Back to back seasons affected by concussions with few games in between and a player struggling to heal from the last one (or has maybe had easy occurrences of new concussions).  A player who last year probably played with concussion symptoms for a while.  

How is this player not a good candidate for LTIR resulting in retirement?

7 hours ago, TGT68 said:

I disagree here somewhat.  The ongoing history of this really means for Ferlands long term life he needs to go on LTIR and retire imho.  

Well for now make him sit out and give him the summer to have a look and if needed then retire.

put him on ltir for now at least the summer, free up 3.5 million of cap room and go from there. 

4 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Well for now make him sit out and give him the summer to have a look and if needed then retire.

put him on ltir for now at least the summer, free up 3.5 million of cap room and go from there. 

Yeah, at this point I care more as a fan about seeing Ferland recover and live a healthy life in retirement, then caring about the cap.  

I just don't see any reason that he should come back to the NHL.  Enjoy the hard earned money and do something else with your life.  

21 hours ago, stawns said:

Should Crosby have retired?

Ferland doesn’t play a Crosby style game.....Ferland is useless without hitting.

anywho how are Comets playing ? I haven’t been able to catch any games.

if anyone has a free streaming way for Comets plz PM me...I have a stream for world games All Russian, Swed, Czech games and College hockey but none for AHL streams.

Edited by HockeyHarry

11 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Yeah, at this point I care more as a fan about seeing Ferland recover and live a healthy life in retirement, then caring about the cap.  

I just don't see any reason that he should come back to the NHL.  Enjoy the hard earned money and do something else with your life.  

100% guarantee thats not how he sees it.  He'll shut it down for the season,most likely, in the hopes he's back in September, healthy and ready to contribute.  It's not like there aren't players who've made that comeback

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

100% guarantee thats not how he sees it.  He'll shut it down for the season,most likely, in the hopes he's back in September, healthy and ready to contribute.  It's not like there aren't players who've made that comeback

Absolutely agree with this sentiment. I find it a little off-putting that people are calling for his retirement as if they are doctors, or they somehow have inside knowledge of his plight, condition, day to day outlook, and life satisfaction. It's a little ignorant and insensitive, obviously these people have never played high level sports nor have they had their bell rung or dealt with a serious concussion that forces them to contemplate their entire life moving forward. If they had they would realize that it's an extremely personal decision that should only be affected by close family, and personal doctors ... not some yahoo on a message board.

Anyways. Go Comets. It's not like Ferland should be part of this thread moving forward,

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Absolutely agree with this sentiment. I find it a little off-putting that people are calling for his retirement as if they are doctors, or they somehow have inside knowledge of his plight, condition, day to day outlook, and life satisfaction. It's a little ignorant and insensitive, obviously these people have never played high level sports nor have they had their bell rung or dealt with a serious concussion that forces them to contemplate their entire life moving forward. If they had they would realize that it's an extremely personal decision that should only be affected by close family, and personal doctors ... not some yahoo on a message board.

Anyways. Go Comets. It's not like Ferland should be part of this thread moving forward,

Off-putting?  He's got the rest of his life to look forward to, what's off-putting about wanting the guy to take care of himself instead of worrying about having the player on the team?  

I've had a concussion and it was a terrible week (probably longer, but the most severe symptoms lasted a week).  

You're talking as if Ferland is going to come to this forum for career advice.  

2 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Off-putting?  He's got the rest of his life to look forward to, what's off-putting about wanting the guy to take care of himself instead of worrying about having the player on the team?  

I've had a concussion and it was a terrible week (probably longer, but the most severe symptoms lasted a week).  

You're talking as if Ferland is going to come to this forum for career advice.  

No, I just don't think you should project your own experiences here. He is an athlete who has trained his whole life for this and your concussion and your desire shouldn't give you the right to tell them what to do. Sorry I'm not trying to be a dick I've been in this situation and the answers are always difficult and philosophical at best. 

I agree that he should do what's best for his health, his family, and well-being, but I'm not at any stretch going to make absolute determinations on what is right for him. Every athlete that gets to that point deliberates these types of concerns on a daily basis and deserves to look at it from that viewpoint. I hope people don't think athletes are dumb, that this is a simple health issue, and they have to give advice on such serious matters.

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

No, I just don't think you should project your own experiences here. He is an athlete who has trained his whole life for this and your concussion and your desire shouldn't give you the right to tell them what to do. Sorry I'm not trying to be a dick I've been in this situation and the answers are always difficult and philosophical at best. 

I agree that he should do what's best for his health, his family, and well-being, but I'm not at any stretch going to make absolute determinations on what is right for him. Every athlete that gets to that point deliberates these types of concerns on a daily basis and deserves to look at it from that viewpoint. I hope people don't think athletes are dumb, that this is a simple health issue, and they have to give advice on such serious matters.

People come here and give opinions. The last thing I would ever suspect is that Ferland would take a poll of CDC posters and make a health decision. Seriously? Using your thought process then why should most of the comments on here be allowed? Almost none of the posters on here are athletes or hockey management so why should they post their opinions? IMO the underlying theme of fans is a concern for Michael Ferland's long term health.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

I am, because that’s what we pretty much do here fir fun.  I absolutely think Furley should be sent to Robidas Island, and his cap hit goes poof.  

• Cheers 1