The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019-20 Utica Comets Thread

Crunch with a shorty on a Kole Lind giveaway makes it 2 - 1 with under a minute left in the second

15th shorthanded goal the Comets have given up this season

Period ends 2 - 1

Edited by Googlie

There is a lot of posting on Twitter these days about which NHL teams are paying their game day staff and which are not. Please consider buying a $25 shirt designed by the Comets office staff to help them and the arena staff at the Aud during these unusual times.

And a reminder that the Canucks own the AHL franchise and pays all of the players, trainers and coaching staff. A local business group headed by Robert Esche pays all of the Comets office staff and game day arena staff as they also manage the Aud. Plus they pay the Canucks an affiliation fee to place their team in Utica. Minor league teams depend on game day revenue and not multi-billion dollar TV contracts.

The other business ventures that Esche and his group own and operate in Utica are a few restaurants which are also impacted by the coronavirus scare and they just announced that they will provide free meals to kids 12 and under in light of many lower income families having their jobs affected by the current situation.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

• 1 month later...

I just looked up the Utica stats

Utica is listed with 64 man games by players listed as Center

and 123 man games with players listed as Forwards

that equals 3X62 games and includes Gaudette and MacEwan.

MacEwan is the highest scoring C with 11 points.

I heard that we are deep at C

If MacEwan make the Canucks next year

who will be playing center in Utica?

of the 10 Centers drafted by the Canucks sinces Jim started drafting:

2 are on the Canucks

2 are traded, (ultimately for wingers)

2 are in other teams systems

2 are teenages (drafted in 19)

1 is in college (year 3) 

1 is burried below the KHL 

with all the talk about getting rid of Sutter and Beagle, they look like our only insurance against injury to a Center 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, lmm said:

with all the talk about getting rid of Sutter and Beagle, they look like our only insurance against injury to a Center 

Miller is able to play center, but that leaves a hole on the number one line.

Not sure I understand lmm's post.

Camper played 48 games scored 41 points

Over 1/2 of Jasek's 56 games(27 points) were at center

Stevens and Graovac, both experienced centers, were acquired specifically for Utica

Hamilton played 28 games at center in an injury filled season

Justin Bailey played center for about 1/3rd of his 53 games (47 points)

And with Linus Karlsson and Carson Focht ready to move up, the problem may be a glut, rather than a dearth

2 hours ago, Googlie said:

Stevens and Graovac, both experienced centers, were acquired specifically for Utica

And with Linus Karlsson and Carson Focht ready to move up, the problem may be a glut, rather than a dearth

We may see Michaelis as a center in Utica. Also wonder if we could bring over Costmar as well.

23 hours ago, Googlie said:

I don't actuallly watch Utica games, so that is why I am asking.

Stevens appears to be a fill in because Utica was short centers this past year, Maybe because Graovac got injured.

Hamilton and Campher are AHL contracts. Campher looks like he is there to help the wingers progress, but none of those 3 can play in the NHL.

I think I remember Graovac taking a draw for the Canucks, so he would be the call up C last year, but he is a UFA soon.

Cap Friendly lists 13 forwards as non -roster (minors) only Grao and Marc Michealis are listed as Cs. Does Michealis actually play center? If so he could help. The othe 11 forwards are wings.

I have heard Jasek as a possible player who could come up and replace Sutter or Beagle. thoughts? listed as a RW, is he actually a C?

Is Karlsson the guy we traded for Dahlen? do you think he will play in the NHL? Will he play top 6 in the AHL?

Is Bailey a center or was he a fill in because they were short? Is there any chance he lines up as a C in the NHL?

Did MacEwan play center in Utica?

Maybe I shoulkd have skipped the line about Beagle and Sutter because it makes it look more like I was making a statement, where as I was asking a question

Still it looks like this team has a lot more depth at wing than center

Edited by lmm

On 4/19/2020 at 4:18 PM, Googlie said:

The problems are,firstly, that half of the players you listed as playing centre in Utica had to be converted from the wing, because we don't have enough natural centres.  Secondly, how can you assume two borderline hopeful prospects like Karlsson and Focht are going to step in and become AHL regulars and give  us a "glut" of centres? Even Lind and Gadjovich, two highly-touted 2nd round picks, didn't play as regulars their first year, and Gadjovich still hasn't made it there yet.  Unfortunately, that's more the norm than the exception for players drafted outside the first round.  

Well, 4 of the 6 I named are listed as centers in both the team roster and the AHL stats (Camper, Graovac,  Hamilton and Stevens) but who's quibbling over percentages? I'll grant you that both Jasek and Bailey are converted right wingers  -  or maybe I just saw them taking more draws than would be expected from a winger (iirc Kole Lind was over 500 in his faceoff win percentage)

And I missed Seamus Malone - I think most of his Utica games have been playing center

And "the glut" assumes that the centers signed by Utica are brought back next year, and that's not a given

(And I see from the Bulis article on March 3 that Karlsson is mostly deployed as a winger)

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canucks-hockey/canucks-prospect-linus-karlsson-is-on-fire-since-trade-to-new-team-in-allsvenskan-2136448

As for Focht here is Cam Robison's take:

March 2020 – Focht had a productive 19-year-old season for the Hitmen. His goal scoring metrics increased while his per-game totals plateaued. He was especially impactful in the first-half. The fifth-round pick has played his four seasons of WHL hockey and is eligible to move on to the American League. However, it wouldn’t be overly surprising to see him return as a 20-year-old and look to really blossom offensively. The Utica Comets’ lack of centre depth may play a role in that decision. Cam Robison

So I accept that my comments are of little value when stacked against those of the professional pundits - was just going by my armchair observations of over 1/2 the season games

(But I do think Jasek is a keeper at center, and that we will see him with the big club before long)