Sign in to follow this  
GoldenAlien

2019-20 Utica Comets Thread

On 4/19/2020 at 4:18 PM, Googlie said:

Not sure I understand lmm's post.

Camper played 48 games scored 41 points

Over 1/2 of Jasek's 56 games(27 points) were at center

Stevens and Graovac, both experienced centers, were acquired specifically for Utica

Hamilton played 28 games at center in an injury filled season

Justin Bailey played center for about 1/3rd of his 53 games (47 points)

And with Linus Karlsson and Carson Focht ready to move up, the problem may be a glut, rather than a dearth

The problems are,firstly, that half of the players you listed as playing centre in Utica had to be converted from the wing, because we don't have enough natural centres.  Secondly, how can you assume two borderline hopeful prospects like Karlsson and Focht are going to step in and become AHL regulars and give  us a "glut" of centres? Even Lind and Gadjovich, two highly-touted 2nd round picks, didn't play as regulars their first year, and Gadjovich still hasn't made it there yet.  Unfortunately, that's more the norm than the exception for players drafted outside the first round.  

• Burr 1

Well, 4 of the 6 I named are listed as centers in both the team roster and the AHL stats (Camper, Graovac,  Hamilton and Stevens) but who's quibbling over percentages? I'll grant you that both Jasek and Bailey are converted right wingers  -  or maybe I just saw them taking more draws than would be expected from a winger (iirc Kole Lind was over 500 in his faceoff win percentage)

And I missed Seamus Malone - I think most of his Utica games have been playing center

And "the glut" assumes that the centers signed by Utica are brought back next year, and that's not a given

(And I see from the Bulis article on March 3 that Karlsson is mostly deployed as a winger)

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canucks-hockey/canucks-prospect-linus-karlsson-is-on-fire-since-trade-to-new-team-in-allsvenskan-2136448

As for Focht here is Cam Robison's take:

March 2020 – Focht had a productive 19-year-old season for the Hitmen. His goal scoring metrics increased while his per-game totals plateaued. He was especially impactful in the first-half. The fifth-round pick has played his four seasons of WHL hockey and is eligible to move on to the American League. However, it wouldn’t be overly surprising to see him return as a 20-year-old and look to really blossom offensively. The Utica Comets’ lack of centre depth may play a role in that decision. Cam Robison

So I accept that my comments are of little value when stacked against those of the professional pundits - was just going by my armchair observations of over 1/2 the season games

(But I do think Jasek is a keeper at center, and that we will see him with the big club before long)

AHL season officially cancelled. 

They legit had a shot this year too. I feel for Boucher, he was three points shy of being tied for the league league in points, with ten fewer games played. Had the season gone on he could have lead the league.

What a season for Kole Lind though, 44 points in 61 games in his second full season. Raffery too, with 45 points in 57 games. Good start for DiPietro too, winning 21/36 in his first pro season. Juolevi was also productive with 25 points in his 45 games played.

A real shame we couldn't see the season play out, but what do ya do. 

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, mll said:

AHL season officially cancelled. 

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/ben-kuzma-canucks-may-need-to-play-a-little-roster-roulette-with-ahl-season-cancelled?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1589244835

Outgoing AHL president Dave Andrew did indicate later in the day that he believes approximately 12 players will get called up to their respective NHL clubs if the season resumes. For the Canucks, they would obviously want those who have some NHL experience if called upon and played significant roles in helping the Comets finishing this season with a 34-22-3-2 North Division record.

4 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Boucher, Bailey, Baertschi, Chatfield, Brisebois, Teves, Graovac, Sautner, DiPietro, Rafferty, Juolevi, and Lind

Gotta call up guys like Juolevi, Lind, Rafferty, and DiPietro just to get them in some NHL practice and see what the playoffs are like.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

"We have a very strong league in terms of our ownership. We have 19 NHL-owned teams and 12 independently-owned teams. And the independently owned teams are in very good financial condition, even after what happened in this 2019-20 season," he said. "But if their businesses aren't viable, if they have to play in front of an empty building for six months, some of those teams will likely choose not to play."

Edited by mll

Will the Canucks hold their resumption training camp in Utica?  Would certainly avoid the Canadian quarantine problems.  And upstate NY has fared much better than the city 

55 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Will the Canucks hold their resumption training camp in Utica?  Would certainly avoid the Canadian quarantine problems.  And upstate NY has fared much better than the city 

No.

On 5/16/2020 at 11:01 AM, mll said:

"We have a very strong league in terms of our ownership. We have 19 NHL-owned teams and 12 independently-owned teams. And the independently owned teams are in very good financial condition, even after what happened in this 2019-20 season," he said. "But if their businesses aren't viable, if they have to play in front of an empty building for six months, some of those teams will likely choose not to play."

Interesting if that were to happen.

I wonder if there would be an opportunity for Utica to take on players on loan.

Would be good for our prospects development to inject some more talent on the team. Plus the comets chances of wining the Calder would increase.

On 6/17/2020 at 5:45 AM, mll said:

No Vancouver/Utica representation?

I’m gonna wait for Canucks/Comets Twitter to let me know how to feel about this. ;) 

• Haha 1