The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019-20 Utica Comets Thread

1. Pnil9PFJ_bigger.jpg Ben Birnell @OD_Birnell 10h10 hours ago
  2. Move involving Biega also allows young D the opportunity to keep playing key minutes with the Comets. 
  3. Side note: Biega is the last player to appear in the Utica Comets first game on Oct. 11, 2013 to leave the organization.
Edited by TomatoPieFan

49 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Does Pope have a spot in Utica or will he go down to the ECHL for a while?

Not very likely as the Comets have too many wingers and too few centers at the moment.  It is mostly likely a throw away contract that the Canucks needed to take back in order to trade Biega.  Detroit could of had Bulldog for free on waivers but probably didn't want to go from 47 to 48 NHL contracts so they worked out a deal to swap one of those contracts in a trade.  I can't imagine Pope figures into Vancouver's plans and he will remain an AHL/ECHL tweener.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

Not very likely as the Comets have too many wingers and too few centers at the moment.  It is mostly likely a throw away contract that the Canucks needed to take back in order to trade Biega.  Detroit could of had Bulldog for free on waivers but probably didn't want to go from 47 to 48 NHL contracts so they worked out a deal to swap one of those contracts in a trade.  I can't imagine Pope figures into Vancouver's plans and he will remain an AHL/ECHL tweener.

I agree, a lesser version but same criteria as the Leivo trade last year. Wish him the best, had great work ethic

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, TomatoPieFan said:

• EB-1 alien with extraordinary ability. This can be a self-petition, no employer is required.
    • EB-2 alien with exceptional abilities in the arts, sciences or business WITH a national interest waiver. The USCIS has stated that the “arts” include athletics. This can be a self-petition, no employer is required.
    • EB-2 alien with exceptional ability or advanced degreed professional WITH pre-certification under Schedule A Group II (exceptional ability in the arts and sciences). The USCIS has stated that the “arts” include athletics.
    • EB-2 alien with exceptional ability in the arts, sciences or business or advanced degreed professionals. The USCIS has stated that the “arts” include athletics
    • EB-3 skilled or professional worker. An athlete or coach can be viewed as a skilled or professional position.
    • EP40- alien with otherworldly abilities, great at hockey and smooth with the ladies.  

For all but the first two options, an employer/sponsor and permanent job offer is required. In the last three options, the athlete and employer must complete a process called PERM labor certification, which can take 6 to 9 months.

I think you missed one ;)

BAILEY'S NEW YORK SKATE OF MIND

Oct 8, 2019

Most AHL hockey players live hundreds, or sometimes thousands of miles away from home. For Utica Comets forward Justin Bailey, he’s never had to stray too far from the comfort of his hometown.

Born and raised in the Buffalo area, hockey was always on the mind of Bailey. Along with Buffalo being one of the country’s biggest hotbeds for the sport, proximity to a few decent players who combined for over 2,500-career NHL games helped expose him to the game.  

“There were new apartments in Buffalo but I was too young to remember those days,” Bailey said. “My mom and my aunt lived together and formed a friendship with (former Sabres) Rob Ray, Michael Peca, and Matt Barnaby, who lived there as well.”

Of the three, Bailey still maintains a relationship with Barnaby, hitting the former NHL tough guy with plenty of questions about the business. Even if their playing styles are vastly different.

“He’s a hockey guy,” the 24-year-old winger said. “There’s things from his game that I could add to mine. Adding a more physical edge and being tougher to play against will help me get to the NHL faster.”

Exposure to Barnaby, Peca and Ray in the apartment building and beyond wasn’t the only time Bailey brushed shoulders with household-NHL names. Before embarking on his junior career in the OHL, the big-bodied forward headed the farthest away he had ever been from home for hockey…Long Island. And his billet dad on the island also knew a thing or two about the game and had the hardware to prove it.

“I moved to Long Island to live with (Hall of Famer) Pat LaFontaine,” said Bailey, cheerfully. “His son and I played on the same team and we ended up winning a national championship. Being able to learn from someone like that who had a great career and whose hockey IQ is off the charts was a cool year for sure.”

After showing off his combination of size, speed, and goal-scoring touch in the OHL, Bailey was drafted in the second round of the 2013 draft. And when his name was called, it was by the team whose players he used to pass in the apartment hallways. He, too, was a Buffalo Sabre.

Entering this season, all but 28 of Bailey’s nearly-300 pro games had been played for either the Buffalo Sabres or their AHL affiliate in Rochester. And while hockey has taken many around the world, he’s always been perfectly fine with being close to home.

“I come from a big Italian family, so they like to keep me close,” Bailey said. “I’ve never really been too far and it’s been a blessing being able to see my family as much as I do.”

With Upstate and Long Island covered, Justin needed to make an impact in the Big Apple for a New York Bingo. On January 3, 2017, he made that impact at Madison Square Garden when he recorded his first career NHL goal through the five hole of Henrik Lundqvist.

“It was a cool moment for me being able to score against a goalie like that at Madison Square Garden,” Bailey fondly remembered. “It was a great experience.”

With over 200 AHL games played and 60+ to his credit at the NHL level, there have been plenty of venues that Bailey has been able to play games in. There is one, however, that has always stood out. And as you probably could have guessed… it’s in New York state.

“Syracuse is one of my favorite places to play because of my success against them,” he laughed.

If that success continues in Bailey’s first season with the Comets, then don’t be surprised if the stands in Utica are filled with his jerseys that are being worn by people other than his big, Italian family from Buffalo.

Want to know more about Justin? Check out Joe Robert's 10 Questions With Joe!

Four of these starting D JB inked, for free. Almost better than trading for draft picks? Eliot could make it 5 outa' 6, sometimes.

Detractors won't acknowledge these low-key moves when they bear fruit..until it can't be avoided.

With all them D-signings they focused all 2019 picks on fwds. Interesting approach for 1 spring's work.(Yes I know a few were signed prior). You get a better idea with D-men if you commit to them at a little higher age.

• Upvote 1

SCORING
1st
17:40 Utica Comets
Reid Boucher

19:41 Utica Comets
Reid Boucher
(PP)

2nd
3:13 Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
Stefan Noesen
(PP)