The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019-20 Utica Comets Thread

24 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Utica wins 4 - 3

Nice setup by Baertschi to Rafferty then to Jasek for the tap in.  NHL patience by Baertschi and nice headfake by Rafferty to commit the defender and goalie then to Jasek. Nice allround.  Bailey is prominent at this level, great skater for a big guy (at this level), so is MacEwen. Boucher is a dealy AHL sniper, he had the brace with the first two goals - now 4 in his first two games.  He is so deadly in close - seems able to get his shot off with no space to do it in.  You have to wonder what particular thing kept him out of the NHL.  Conditioning?  Defence? Skating?  He can sure score goals.  Juolevi looked much steadier this game defensively and continues to be a very effective puck mover - especially deadly with the long pass.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

That’s a nice looking line-up.  JB has done a great job rebuilding our entire organization.  

Not sure I agree. The center depth is not good. Gravoac is injured but they’re still woefully thin at that spot. I think they expected Gaudette in Utica. Winger and defensive depth is the best since I can remember but this team can’t be a Calder cup contender without acquiring another solid center

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Nice setup by Baertschi to Rafferty then to Jasek for the tap in.  NHL patience by Baertschi and nice headfake by Rafferty to commit the defender and goalie then to Jasek. Nice allround.  Bailey is prominent at this level, great skater for a big guy (at this level), so is MacEwen. Boucher is a dealy AHL sniper, he had the brace with the first two goals - now 4 in his first two games.  He is so deadly in close - seems able to get his shot off with no space to do it in.  You have to wonder what particular thing kept him out of the NHL.  Conditioning?  Defence? Skating?  He can sure score goals.  Juolevi looked much steadier this game defensively and continues to be a very effective puck mover - especially deadly with the long pass.

I liken Boucher to Kyle Wellwood. They have amazing skills with the puck which they can/could utilize when they aren’t being heavily pressured, but they ultimately lack the consistent drive, conditioning and work ethic to find that space for themselves and strive at the NHL level.

7 hours ago, Bert Diesel said:

Not sure I agree. The center depth is not good. Gravoac is injured but they’re still woefully thin at that spot. I think they expected Gaudette in Utica. Winger and defensive depth is the best since I can remember but this team can’t be a Calder cup contender without acquiring another solid center

The line-up last night featured one legitimate center which was AHL contracted Carter Camper.  The other lines were centered by converted wing Lukas Jasek (with MacEwen taking many faceoffs before dropping back to the wing), Carter Bancks a fourth line grinding winger and Dyson Stevenson an ECHL face puncher. The center depth is awful yet again this year.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UticaHockey said:

This guy does a nice job with his Comets game reports with embedded videos of all important plays and not just the goals.  He also gives an honest assessment of how individual players played in each game.

https://cometsharvest.wordpress.com/2019/10/12/10-12-19-utica-comets-1-0-0-0-vs-wbs-penguins-1-1-0-0/

I think I discovered where you get your positive attitude from lol.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

This guy does a nice job with his Comets game reports with embedded videos of all important plays and not just the goals.  He also gives an honest assessment of how individual players played in each game.

https://cometsharvest.wordpress.com/2019/10/12/10-12-19-utica-comets-1-0-0-0-vs-wbs-penguins-1-1-0-0/

Yes he does a good job on covering the Comets . JB has put together a stronger roster this year on the big team and some carryover has leaked down to the Comets. Tyler Graovac looked good up on the Canucks too bad he is hurt. The lack of centers is due to the players JB has been drafting college, European players some graduating . The comets can make do ZM played center put him in the middle  . Try other players at center and see what happens. We all  cannot have Sid the Kid as a center.

40 minutes ago, vannuck59 said:

Yes he does a good job on covering the Comets . JB has put together a stronger roster this year on the big team and some carryover has leaked down to the Comets. Tyler Graovac looked good up on the Canucks too bad he is hurt. The lack of centers is due to the players JB has been drafting college, European players some graduating . The comets can make do ZM played center put him in the middle  . Try other players at center and see what happens. We all  cannot have Sid the Kid as a center.

I understand that the lack of centers is partly due to drafting players that are not in the AHL developing but that doesn't prevent Johnson or Benning from signing guys to fill that need in Utica.  The Flyers for example have 19 year old Joel Farabee in the AHL playing on the top line centered by Cal O'Reilly. 

Serious question for Vancouver fans that get tired of me talking about the lack of centers every year in Utica.  Do you really want your prospects being centered by Wacey Hamilton, Carter Bancks and Dyson Stevenson?

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

It's about giving an honest assessment and not breaking out the pom-poms and cheerleader outfit.  I wouldn't look good in it anyway.

You pretty much just like this guy because he agrees with you. I dont gwt how you guys can win games and continue to complain about everything. 2-0 yet you're the worst teamin the league.

Seems legit.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

You pretty much just like this guy because he agrees with you. I dont gwt how you guys can win games and continue to complain about everything. 2-0 yet you're the worst teamin the league.

Seems legit.

How many New York State residents are Canuck’s fans?  

1 minute ago, UticaHockey said:

I have no idea but the guy that writes the Comets reviews with the video links is from Vancouver not NYS.

Is he a Canuck’s fan?  I sometimes question the legitimacy of those who claim to be Canuck’s fans.  The Comets are playing great, winning games, and our young prospects are a huge part of that.  

I understand that the lack of centers is partly due to drafting players that are not in the AHL developing but that doesn't prevent Johnson or Benning from signing guys to fill that need in Utica.  The Flyers for example have 19 year old Joel Farabee in the AHL playing on the top line centered by Cal O'Reilly. 

Serious question for Vancouver fans that get tired of me talking about the lack of centers every year in Utica.  Do you really want your prospects being centered by Wacey Hamilton, Carter Bancks and Dyson Stevenson?

God no! That is why I feel our GM has done a lackluster job getting suitable depth to so called help our AHL team and our prospects on it. Can target College FA C, or a younger player in Europe or the KHL to be a top 6 C in Utica.

Gaud may have earned a spot in the NHL, but it wouldn't have done any harm to see him go down and play top C role in all situations in my opinion. Would play a ton, get lots of special teams time and would likely help the team and fill a much needed C hole in Utica.

Sending Sven and Goldy down, sends skill but they are wingers. Good to have as I feel they could help Lind out going forward. Also, would it have been the worst thing to keep Gaunce around and let him play C down in the A? Seemed to do well in Utica, guess we never offered him a contract or he wanted a change/felt Boston was a better move?

• Upvote 1