6: Tanev

Defensive Rank:

1: Tanev

2: Edler

3: Stecher

4: Benn

5: Myers

6: Hughes

More importantly, how does our defense rank compared to the rest of the league?

My guess is we moved up quite a few spots from the start of last year, Hughes and Myers >>>>> then Poopoo and Guddbranson

Think we were mid twenties when THN ranked the defense last fall.   Would expect it to be right around the middle this time.  Maybe a little higher depending on how healthy it is and how well Hughes does.   

Offensive

1 Hughes

2 Edler

3 Myers

4 Stetcher

5 Benn

6 Fin

7 Markstrom

8 hot dog guy

9 tanev

Defensive

1 tanev

2 benn

3 stetcher

4 edler

5 myers

6 hughes

I had a really hard time ranking defence.  3-6 are all interchangeable on any given night.

Edited by 73 Percent

OFFENSE

1. Quinn Hughes 

2. Alex Edler

3. Tyler Myers

4. Troy Stecher

5. Jordie Benn

6. Everyone else left alive in the world

Chris Tanev

DEFENSE

1. Alex Edler

2. Jordie Benn

3. Chris Tanev

4. Troy Stecher

5. Quinn Hughes

6. Everyone else left alive in the world

Tyler Myers

Jordie Benn was such a good signing, and I believe he'll not only provide better value than Myers, but simply be better on the ice.

9 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

My best friend is a huge Habs fan.  He said I'll like Benn as a bottom pairing guy.  Capable stay at home D, physical.  But gets killed by speedy players. 

My best friend is a huge Habs fan and told me that I've never seen a worst defensemen than Benn, and that Benn made him rage consistently throughout his tenure as a Hab. I told him I've seen worse (MDZ, Pouliot, Larsen). He still doesn't believe me.

I really hope Benn brings us some positives

• Haha 1

Really interesting seeing some of these opinions. Looks like so many people haven't noticed that Hughes has an outstanding defensive stick and broke up several plays along the boards in his first few games. The only thing he lacks is size which helps in front of the net. Anyways... 

Offensive: 

Hughes

Edler

Myers

Stecher

Tanev (underrated passing, absolutely abysmal shot) 

Benn

Defensive:

Tanev

Stecher

Hughes (you'll see how good he is on defense this year) 

Myers

Edler (depends on which Edler you get. Passive Edler doesn't even deserve to be in the league, aggressive Edler is #2 and very close behind Tanev) 

Benn (just don't have enough sample size to rate appropriately on the list) 

2 hours ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

Offensive: 

1- Myers

2- Edler

3- Stetcher

4- Hughes

5- Tanev

6- Benn

Defensive: 

1- Tanev

2- Edler

3- Myers

4- Benn

5- Stetcher

6- Hughes

Offensive: 

1- Hughes- I think the overtime games last year show how much impact he can have offensively especially once the open ice is available.

2- Myers, has great shot and can score

3- Edler- Despite his amazing one goal on the power play in a calendar year he can score on the rush and in OT, maybe Myers on the first power play with Hughes

4- Stecher- wish he could score more but he has not produced as much as he seemed like he was going to be able to

5- Tanev- Never was a O d man, plays great D moves the puck well.

6- Benn- Defensive D man Hits a bit also

Defensive: 

1- Tanev, still the best defensive D man on the roster, blocks a lot of shots

2- Edler- can be good if he doesnt have to play 30+ a game

3- Myers- has been crucified for his D at times but sometimes you need a better partner. Maybe he finds that here with Edler.

4- Benn- Good D man but struggles with forwards with speed.

5- Stetcher- Plays small and has struggled way too much against the bigger forwards in the west, Kopitar, Thornton, Getzlaf etc

6- Hughes- His speed will be an asset defending but he isnt big enough to be a net clearer. Hope he can stay healthy.hes gonna get hit.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, mikeyman109 said:

Offensive: 

1- Hughes- I think the overtime games last year show how much impact he can have offensively especially once the open ice is available.

3- Edler- Despite his amazing one goal on the power play in a calendar year he can score on the rush and in OT, maybe Myers on the first power play with Hughes

4- Stecher- wish he could score more but he has not produced as much as he seemed like he was going to be able to

Defensive: 

3- Myers- has been crucified for his D at times but sometimes you need a better partner. Maybe he finds that here with Edler.

5- Stetcher- Plays small and has struggled way too much against the bigger forwards in the west, Kopitar, Thornton, Getzlaf etc

6- Hughes- His speed will be an asset defending but he isnt big enough to be a net clearer. Hope he can stay healthy.hes gonna get hit.

Yes the two seasons, one where losing gets a point and there is shorthanded overtime games and the season that wins the cup, the playoffs.

Two teams are really needed as well as depth of positions, all positions.

• Cheers 1

On 7/4/2019 at 10:59 PM, coastal.view said:

i find it fascinating in reading people's ranking views

that overall benn is viewed as a better dman then myers

not sure why people reach that conclusion

Based on the numbers, the eye test, or just going by various scouting reports and opinions, there is pretty much zero doubt that Benn is better defensively than Myers and Myers is better offensively that Benn. And pretty much everyone ranks them that way. From that comparison you can't say who is better overall. If Myers is a lot better offensively and only a little worse defensively, then Myers would be substantially more valuable. 

My personal view is that Myers is a lot better offensively but Benn is quite a lot better defensively. In aggregate I think Myers is better but by only a small margin. I see them as both #4/#5 guys on a good team. What that means is that Benn is much better value than Myers in view of their cap hit.

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

Yes the two seasons, one where losing gets a point and there is shorthanded overtime games and the season that wins the cup, the playoffs.

Two teams are really needed as well as depth of positions, all positions.

having some young D players that are almost ready to break into the lineup will help as depth guys through the next two seasons. We know it takes more than 6 D men in a long season and especially come playoff time.

Up front its going to be interesting to see what they can do. We need to sign Brock and then figure out the extra pieces as the season goes along.

Moving Louis contract and maybe Sutters as well would help. Although I like Sutter when he is healthy

19 hours ago, mikeyman109 said:

Offensive: 

Defensive: 

I didn’t play but if I did this is almost identical except I’d have an asterisk next to Hughes as number one offensively given he hasn’t done it yet (which I’m sure he will do).  I’d also rank Myers higher then Edler offensively given they are almost identical career wise PPG, the difference is Edler has had all the primo PP time including when we had the guns, Myers has barley had any yet managed fine, plus he had the better shot.   Good job...

• Cheers 1

How in the hell can any of you not have QH as your most offensive Dman?

Wth...? 

I’ve seen a lot of interesting things on this site over the decades, but this is one of the most revealing things about this fanbase - its posting demographic anyways, that I’ve seen yet and partly why I only read a handful of posters’ comments in this forum. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

How in the hell can any of you not have QH as your most offensive Dman?

Wth...? 

I’ve seen a lot of interesting things on this site over the decades, but this is one of the most revealing things about this fanbase - its posting demographic anyways, that I’ve seen yet and partly why I only read a handful of posters’ comments in this forum. 

Simple. He hasn’t played enough games. Will he be the best eventually? Most likely yes, but some of us are basing the rankings on the present day. He has to live up the offensive potential and prove it first before you make assumptions. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Not only is QH the most offensively dynamic and gifted Dman on the Canucks as of today, he is possibly the best offensive talent the Canucks have put out on the ice, ever. 

To read posts where Myers and Edler are placed ahead of QH on such a ‘list’ is why it’s hard to take the forum and it’s posters seriously sometimes. 

Respectfully, I fully disagree and won’t be discussing any further how or why QH isn’t considered the best offensive Dman on this team, though I did appreciate your response and understand your perspective. 

I’m no QH homer, but I find the idea of ranking his offensive flare behind those other names as a disservice to the reputation of the forum as a serious place to discuss the sport of hockey, but whatever - posters can say what they like and hope they always can and do. 

I heard the radio guys talking about a QH stat.  When he was on the ice the Canucks had a 7 to 3 shots on goal advantage, or something like that.  The kid is a phenom.  Love to see him with Tanev.  With that shot ratio so much in our favour, I think Tanev doesn’t get injured so much, because we have the puck.  

• Upvote 1

On 7/5/2019 at 7:09 AM, IBatch said:

More importantly, how does our defense rank compared to the rest of the league?

My guess is we moved up quite a few spots from the start of last year, Hughes and Myers >>>>> then Poopoo and Guddbranson

Think we were mid twenties when THN ranked the defense last fall.   Would expect it to be right around the middle this time.  Maybe a little higher depending on how healthy it is and how well Hughes does.   

That's a good question. It obviously depends on a few things. If Edler can perform to the same standard that he did last year. If Tanev can stay relatively healthy (spoiler alert: He won't), if Hughes is the Calder candidate we all think he is. 

As it sits right now, I'd say we're just inside the top half of the league. However, if the stars align, and Tanev can play more than 65 games, Edler does what he did last season and plays over 70 games, Hughes nets 40 or so points as a rookie, and Myers nets 30-40 as well, I'd say we could conceivably have a top 10 defence. I think people are underrating the balance that our D now has. 3 offensive forces in Edler, Hughes and Myers. 3 analytical darlings in Stetcher, Tanev and Benn. 

Regardless, it's going to be an interesting year.

Just now, Alflives said:

I heard the radio guys talking about a QH stat.  When he was on the ice the Canucks had a 7 to 3 shots on goal advantage, or something like that.  The kid is a phenom.  Love to see him with Tanev.  With that shot ratio so much in our favour, I think Tanev doesn’t get injured so much, because we have the puck.  

He is what he is.

And we are damned lucky to have him, whatever his flaws are. 

I wasn’t happy with the pick at the time and still haven’t decided if I am, meaning that I am not afflicted with homer-vision and can be critical too. 

This kid is special. No doubt about it.

It will be interesting to see how he is paired and utilized. 

He has an active stick and is always in the lane no matter where the play seems to start due to his quickness. The D side of his game isn’t all that bad for a total runt of a player. He’ll need a partner who can support him and wingers smart enough to understand his transition game, so he doesn’t stay in the corners and longer than he has to. 

Its going to be awesome to see what happens in October. You know these skinny kids will be ready to go out of the gate. The Triangle of Doom will keep me excited for years to come. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Not only is QH the most offensively dynamic and gifted Dman on the Canucks as of today, he is possibly the best offensive talent the Canucks have put out on the ice, as an actual Dman, ever. 

To read posts where Myers and Edler are placed ahead of QH on such a ‘list’ is why it’s hard to take the forum and it’s posters seriously sometimes. 

Respectfully, I fully disagree and won’t be discussing any further how or why QH isn’t considered the best offensive Dman on this team, though I did appreciate your response and understand your perspective. 

I’m no QH homer, but I find the idea of ranking his offensive flare behind those other names as a disservice to the reputation of the forum as a serious place to discuss the sport of hockey, but whatever - posters can say what they like and hope they always can and do. 

Agreed 100%. I don't know how anyone who watched the 5 games Hughes played last season could say he isn't far and away #1.  It's like watching Petey's first 5 games and then ranking him behind Sutter cause we haven't seen enough of him yet. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1