The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

BC Hypocrisy with Alberta Explained

Rob_Zepp

Finally as a non-western Canadian type, I may understand a bit better why some in BC continually criticize Alberta's oil industry yet those in Alberta call those people hypocrites.   

https://calgaryherald.com/opinion/columnists/nelson-hypocrisy-knows-no-bounds-in-climate-change-circles

Hypocrisy knows no bounds in climate change circles

Updated: July 4, 2019
vancouver-mayor-gregor-robertson-opposed

Port Metro Vancouver is the largest coal shipper in North America. Columnist Chris Nelson ponders whether India could charge the B.C. city for its environmental impact. POSTMEDIA

Wonder if I can pick up a fat finder’s fee from some on-the-ball environmental law firm based in Mumbai, looking to pull in a cool billion bucks from the deep pockets of Vancouver city council? One per cent seems fair.

Because that same B.C. outfit just voted to go after various oil companies — mostly based in Alberta, of course — for a hefty share of expected costs due to predicted climate change. They reckon a billion dollars would be reasonable compensation for future damages.

So they can’t complain when cities across India return that favour and request similar big payouts, considering Vancouver is North America’s largest coal exporting port and the latest lucrative market for that environmentally nasty black stuff is — yep, you guessed it — India.

Is it any wonder the saintly David Suzuki feels so at home in B.C., with his handful of fancy homes? That province ranks first, second and third in the hypocrisy Olympics, combining an endless bleating about the dangers of oil pipelines with a grubby cash grab from exporting coal.

Because Vancouver didn’t get atop the exporting coal heap simply by flogging the megatonnes mined in B.C. and Alberta. Oh no, that wasn’t enough for them. Instead, they’re merrily, if somewhat sheepishly, importing massive amounts of this major carbon-emitting fuel from the United States.

It seems mines in landlocked Montana and Wyoming have similar issues to Alberta in getting their product to overseas markets: they need co-operation from the two neighbouring states that have coastlines.

But the environmental lobby in Oregon and Washington has blocked that route to potential Asian riches, thereby providing a golden opportunity for the Port of Vancouver to step in and offer a suitable export solution, one to be rewarded with sizable moolah.

The nerve of these folk is absolutely stunning. It would make Justin Trudeau’s eyes water if they weren’t already in a state of perpetual liquidity.

Vancouver was already exporting 36 million tonnes of coal a year — both the metallurgic and thermal kind — with China the major market. But they’ve landed India as well because the Aussies, once a major supplier, have reliability supply issues.

So while we are intent on destroying our own energy industry in a move that won’t matter a jot to the amount of carbon in the atmosphere, we’ll simultaneously provide the coking coal allowing India to double its current steel production to 300 million tonnes by 2030. Imagine the extra global emissions arising from that.

Oh, and how does this coal get to India? Is some Lotusland version of Star Trek’s Scotty beaming it there? Nope, it will go by big tanker ship — strange, as an increase in that type of vessel when carrying oil is deemed a destructive noise threat to the region’s orcas.

Heck, I knew orcas were smart critters but never imagined they could see through tanker hulls so to reassure their collective pods there’s no need to worry about any racket from that one over there. No, kiddy killer whales, that ship’s only carrying coal.

Anyhow the good people of India have every right to clean air and a stable climate as us lot so it seems only fair Vancouver shell out big time for sending dirty coal — both the Yanks’ and ours — enabling the subcontinent’s future CO2 emissions to explode.

And India’s a big country with many cities. Maybe I’ll retire in style on all those future legal finders’ fees. Heck, with the proceeds, I could buy four luxury homes next door to David Suzuki’s various abodes.

Nah, I prefer the clean smell of an 1,100-square-foot Calgary bungalow and the knowledge our household’s carbon footprint is tiny. Actions rather than words — wasn’t there once a popular saying along those lines? Maybe it never made it across the Rockies.

• Upvote 1

The working class is in a major recession in Alberta and Saskatchewan. Putting food on the table and paying bills is what's on the working classes mind..Not Climate change. 

Sounds like your focusing on what the governments squabble about and forget the small little guy just trying make a living..

When oil crashed here so did construction and many other way of livings

50 companies fighting over one bid, 2000 people applying for one position

I hope People in your beautiful province are realizing how much the small guy is

hurting in the prairies.

8 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Coal isn't dilbit.  A spill of coal is easier to clean up.  BC reaps all the benefit of a coal exporting and extraction province.  It is their coastline they get final say.

Alberta says the same about it's oil and province but wants BC to take 80% of the entire risk for less than 15% of the reward.

Sorry, you'll never convince me that BC is in the wrong here for wanting Alberta to step up or stop.  

I'm very pro expansion of TMX I might add. 

Actually it's about climate change that's what keeps being brought up so yes as usual BC looks like a bunch of ridiculous hypocrites. Pretty much only you, Trump and BC support coal extraction. Btw it's the Canadian west coast not BCs. 

As far as tmx expansion goes you were all over the map...go read the thread. 

Edited by Ryan Strome
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

I'm sure there are just as good counter argument to those statements, that were not presented.

Counter arguments to being the biggest shipper of coal in NA while portraying an environmental friendly provincial push?

Edited by Ryan Strome

49 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Counter arguments to being the biggest shipper of coal in NA while portraying an environmental friendly provincial push?

They didn't became the biggest coal shipper yesterday, did they.  It's been a long established industry.  You can't ask them to stop all of a sudden.  Environmental initiative doesn't mean necessarily start putting water in your car instead of gas.   It can also mean don't go buy a V8 pickup as a 2nd vehicle if you don't need it.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, timberz21 said:

They didn't became the biggest coal shipper yesterday, did they.  It's been a long established industry.  You can't ask them to stop all of a sudden.  Environmental initiative doesn't mean necessarily start putting water in your car instead of gas.   It can also mean don't go buy a V8 pickup as a 2nd vehicle if you don't need it.

But that's what many in BC say about the safest and cleanest oil extraction in the world.

• Upvote 1

It's easy to be critical, but what's the solution?  Rob, are you suggesting to close down the coal port?  Or are you suggesting unlimited oil use?  What are you suggesting?

Even as an environmentalist myself I get annoyed by all the hypocrisy, but getting annoyed isn't enough.   Personally I think that only people who don't drive cars have the right to protest oil pipelines.  But it's not really about protest, we need to do something (well in fact we need to stop doing various things).  Instead of pointing fingers at others we ALL need to figure out ways to pollute less.  That's the bottom line.  We need governments to regulate but we as individuals also need to be more responsible and introspective and all do our own part to pollute less whatever that might be instead of insisting that others do it.  It's a simple thought but hard to achieve when everyone is pointing fingers at everyone else.  

It's not about all or none.  We simply have to figure out how to pollute less.  US.  We Canadians are terrible polluters per capita.  How are we going to be able to reduce our emissions as we have promised the world we are going to do, when we can't even stop increasing them?

P.S. - There is certainly hypocrisy out there but that article didn't even make an attempt to be unbiased and didn't even bother to offer any solutions (it was all written on the assumption that the pipeline is necessary and that there are no other options available than to continue with the status quo, which is burning as much gas as we feel like).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1