The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

BC Hypocrisy with Alberta Explained

Rob_Zepp

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

Lol that doesn't even make sense. A terrible comparison.

Hardly.  BC's coast supports not only fishing but tourism, as such it is regarded as a provincial resource.  Oil is considered a provincial resource.  The complaints about transfer payments are a national issue where everyone pays in to a pot that gets divided amongst the lowest producing provinces.

As BCs coast is defined as or considered a provincial resource, it is not a terrible comparison at all.  Because BCs coast results in almost $4 billion of BCs total GDP

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Hardly.  BC's coast supports not only fishing but tourism, as such it is regarded as a provincial resource.  Oil is considered a provincial resource.  The complaints about transfer payments are a national issue where everyone pays in to a pot that gets divided amongst the lowest producing provinces.

As BCs coast is defined as or considered a provincial resource, it is not a terrible comparison at all.  Because BCs coast results in almost $4 billion of BCs total GDP

I don't disagree but reality states coastlines are the jurisdiction of the feds so the provincial comparisons make no sense.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

I don't disagree but reality states coastlines are the jurisdiction of the feds so the provincial comparisons make no sense.

Reality also states that BC can challenge that, but by the same extension Alberta's oil would be a national share would it not?

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I guess about as much as the prairie folks would care about a fisherman or little guy in tourism losing his or her job. 

This isn't about pitting the working people in each province against each other, or coal hypocrisy. Its been about safety for the majority of BC residents for a long time. Get the safety right and most people are fine with it, but the Calgary intelligentsia never want to talk about marine safety. 

1)You really believe that?

2) Whos the Calgary intelligentsia?

^ too me they are: The government, The companies and the talking heads/trolls who are pushing their message...Not the average everday guy just trying make a living..

See to me this whole conversation is misguided and sad because 2^ is causing your first statement

trudeau like his failure of father.  will lead to the disintegaration of Canada as a country if he remains in power for much longer. 

a weak, pathetic, pandering idiot. Who manages to piss of every side, and thanks to him western separatism is thru the roof in western prairie provinces. 

truduea and the liberals are literally telling the west to shut up, and accept economic slavery/serfdom. 

He tried to pander to natives by laughably claiming a genocide.  The natives don't like him.  he tried to pander to Quebec.  Quebec is sick and tired of open border economic migrants flooding in to use up social resources and change the cultural make up of the province (an extremely sensitive thing for francophones) 

he has failed on every front. a weak pathetic laughing stock who nobody takes seriously.  Canada is a large country. with competing economic interests between the provinces.  Our forefather who were much smarter then feminist truduea and his daddy.   put into the constitution that major economic projects like pipelines are the domains of the federal government not the provinces.  for this very reason. 

Trudeau is living proof of this very famous quote by sun Tzu:

"those who try to defend everything, end up defending nothing" 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Alberta wants X, Y and Z.

BC Wants proper compensation plus assurances of spill clean up and mitigation.

Sounds solvable with a few strokes of a pen.   Not hearing anyone from Alberta, BC or Federal Government remotely trying to make that happen.    

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Yup, I have been to BC.   Beautiful place with more NIMBY's and hypocrites than most anywhere else in Canada not named Quebec.

Our entry western world is one big nimby.  Non of us want the crap from the developing world going on in our yards.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Our entry western world is one big nimby.  Non of us want the crap from the developing world going on in our yards.  

Worse, much of the Western world wants to tell the rest of the world how they can develop - including "not the way we did it, you need to do it differently because we feel great guilt about how we did it".    

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Worse, much of the Western world wants to tell the rest of the world how they can develop - including "not the way we did it, you need to do it differently because we feel great guilt about how we did it".    

Yup.  I’m okay with being hypocritical.  We do need pipelines though.  Just so long as they go through central BC, I don’t care.  It’s the NIMBY in me. 

1 hour ago, naslund.is.king said:

1)You really believe that?

2) Whos the Calgary intelligentsia?

^ too me they are: The government, The companies and the talking heads/trolls who are pushing their message...Not the average everday guy just trying make a living..

See to me this whole conversation is misguided and sad because 2^ is causing your first statement

yes I do. I imagine working people have about the same level of sympathy for each other across the country. I don't think fishermen in BC care less in general about working people in AB or vice versa. But when your livelihood is threatened people want to protect it, its natural. 

The "intelligentsia" are the talking heads out of Calgary driving the us vs. them mentality that poisons every discussion about oil in Canada. 

3 hours ago, sam13371337 said:

trudeau like his failure of father.  will lead to the disintegaration of Canada as a country if he remains in power for much longer. 

a weak, pathetic, pandering idiot. Who manages to piss of every side, and thanks to him western separatism is thru the roof in western prairie provinces. 

truduea and the liberals are literally telling the west to shut up, and accept economic slavery/serfdom. 

He tried to pander to natives by laughably claiming a genocide.  The natives don't like him.  he tried to pander to Quebec.  Quebec is sick and tired of open border economic migrants flooding in to use up social resources and change the cultural make up of the province (an extremely sensitive thing for francophones) 

he has failed on every front. a weak pathetic laughing stock who nobody takes seriously.  Canada is a large country. with competing economic interests between the provinces.  Our forefather who were much smarter then feminist truduea and his daddy.   put into the constitution that major economic projects like pipelines are the domains of the federal government not the provinces.  for this very reason. 

Trudeau is living proof of this very famous quote by sun Tzu:

"those who try to defend everything, end up defending nothing" 

blah blah blah

Trudeau is so bad obviously he's the worst it's all his fault.

Forgetting of course that there's literally decades of other governance who got nothing accomplished in regards to the problems you're whining about but presenting no solution too

16 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Yup, I have been to BC.   Beautiful place with more NIMBY's and hypocrites than most anywhere else in Canada not named Quebec.

Fair enough.  It is the superior province after all.  And really, who gives a $&!# about Quebec. 

17 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

sure, Ontario cottage country is clamouring for dil bit pipelines 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

2 best provinces in Canada to live in.  hmmmmm???