The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why can't the Canucks develop a pwf?

Rate this topic

RowdyCanuck

I look at Jake and see a guy that lacks a team backing him up . Didn't help when your own captain calls you out on a late hit.( sharks game couple years ago)

Never seen teammates call out the rat or E Kane in the press....

Looking at some of the best pwfs they develop with older guys watching out for them in their early years.Jake has taken big strides this past season with rooster around just think if he had a guy like Reeves or Lucic behind him.

The Hawks have traded more Pwfs then we have seen in van.

Boston has great luck with Lucic and Wheeler coming from there. I'll add Neeley took off there too.

So why is it Van has such a hard time or bad luck with pwfs? 

Well, Bertuzzi was for us like Neely was for Boston in terms of skyrocketing after arriving.

Linden at his hardest hitting wasn't that far off from being called a power forward either, and he hit the ground running from day one.

And of course, we drafted Rick Vaive and then he pulled a Neely on us with Toronto...

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, brownky said:

In short, the fans and media *here* seem to demand instant satisfaction from the draft picks.

See: Juolevi, et al.

Power Forward in particular seems to be a position that takes a *long* time to see development from a player 'type'. Tom Wilson was just a goon until a couple years ago when he became an actual hockey player. It's a fine line, and most seem to fall to the goon side (see: Lucic, Reaves) and forget how to play hockey, or they simply lack some aspect that lets them be effective at things other than running guys.

Bertuzzi was an example of another team throwing away a guy who was 'right there' as a power forward, and then became the most dominant one in the league for 3-4 years, until he crossed the line into 'goon' a little too hard. We just happened to pick him up.

So it's the culture in Van? Cause we have no problems with skill guys or even two way players/pests like Kes and burr.

it just sucks cause from watching the playoffs pasted few years you need pwfs in your top six to win. 

Its kinda sad that Bert is best pwf and really the only pwf that has worn a Canucks jersey and he wasn't even drafted and developed by us. Taking nothing away from Bert was a big fan of his.

1 minute ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Well, Bertuzzi was for us like Neely was for Boston in terms of skyrocketing after arriving.

Linden at his hardest hitting wasn't that far off from being called a power forward either, and he hit the ground running from day one.

And of course, we drafted Rick Vaive and then he pulled a Neely on us with Toronto...

From what I remember of Linden he played like a pwf when he played wing but I always saw him as two way center. 

I just don't get it how other teams have no problems production pwfs but van can't 

Jim Sandlak known as "The House", Shawn Antoski and Alex Stojanov who landed us Marcus Naslund also failed in fulilling their roles as bruising PFwds.

Bertuzzi and Momesso were two that were absolute soldiers on the ice. Virtanen can't match either, I'm thinking Podkolzin is our next one.

1 minute ago, 6string said:

Jim Sandlak known as "The House", Shawn Antoski and Alex Stojanov who landed us Marcus Naslund also failed in fulilling their roles as bruising PFwds.

Bertuzzi and Momesso were two that were absolute soldiers on the ice. Virtanen can't match either, I'm thinking Podkolzin is our next one.

I used virtanen cause his on the team and when he first came into the NHL he hit like a truck and played with more edge...I'm hoping with guidance from JT Miller he will find that next gear.

also with Benn and rooster..Jake should feel like the team has his back out there. 

I think VP will be a beast and pumped we have him. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RRypien37 said:

Due to this teams complete refusal to sign a REAL hard nosed player. It's the culture. Look at the teams of the 2000's. That was the last time this team had a core group of hard nose players that were willing and stand up for everyone. 

Sestito tried, but he was all by himself. The same can be said for Guddy. One guy isn't enough, it needs to be a couple of surrounding bodies throughout the line up that create that culture. 

That's one of the reasons I didn't really like the Sedins era( rep sect them but not a huge fan) 

That takes me back when Jim drafted Jake he said he wanted to change the culture.

so do you think we added enough rooster Miller Benn ?

5 minutes ago, naslund.is.king said:

When i think of Power forwards i think of:Lindros,Bertuzzi,Benn,Getzlaf,and etc...These type of players don't exactly come around everyday.

Hawks sure found some....Bolland,shaw,Ladd ,Saad and who can forget big Buff to name a few

6 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

That's one of the reasons I didn't really like the Sedins era( rep sect them but not a huge fan) 

That takes me back when Jim drafted Jake he said he wanted to change the culture.

so do you think we added enough rooster Miller Benn ?

Yes we're much heavier now over last year. With Horvat, Roussel, Beagle,Pearson and Leivo we have some push.

Edited by 6string

You have to draft a pwf before you develop them.

When was the last time they drafted a pwf before Virtanen?

RJ Umberger?  That's almost a few decades ago.

Neely was more than 30 years.

Green is doing fine - Virtanen is 22 years old.

I liked the move to bring Gud here - not ideal that he's a defenseman, and not that happy when they dealt him - but players like that - that can play in the 'modern' game, are not easy assets to acquire, draft, or develop  - they are rare assets.

Edited by oldnews
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

In regards to the recent ones, Kassian was never a powerforward. Everyone tried to pigeonhole him into that role. He's the guy I think we &^@#ed up developing moreso than some of the other busts. He was an underrated playmaker; his vision was actually quite good.

Virtanen is just bad. He never had the IQ to begin with and then his injuries &^@#ed up his shoulder. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, 6string said:

Yes we're much heavier now over last year. With Horvat, Roussel, Beagle and Leivo we have some push.

Being heavy is one thing but I wouldn't call any of those guys fighters or will they put fear in the other team. I think we are still missing a fighter like Ferland or Lucic or Reeves. Rooster is the only guy that I would call a fighter but his more a pest like Burrows. This is where is miss DD

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Being heavy is one thing but I wouldn't call any of those guys fighters or will they put fear in the other team. I think we are still missing a fighter like Ferland or Lucic or Reeves. Rooster is the only guy that I would call a fighter but his more a pest like Burrows. This is where is miss DD

I'm on record here for Lucic for Eriksson with a sweetener.

Yes we need a marshall patrolling the ice for the young guns. The Sedin era with Mike Gillis's failure to recognize this pisses me off big time to this day!!!

Edited by 6string
era
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, oldnews said:

You have to draft a pwf before you develop them.

When was the last time they drafted a pwf before Virtanen?

RJ Umberger?  That's almost a few decades ago.

Neely was more than 30 years.

Green is doing fine - Virtanen is 22 years old.

I liked the move to bring Gud here - not ideal that he's a defenseman, and not that happy when they dealt him - but players like that - that can play in the 'modern' game, are not easy assets to acquire, draft, or develop  - they are rare assets.

Your right their rare but their there. Thx to Gillis we pasted on a few good choices but at the time we played a fast skill game like Tamapa...size didn't matter.

I agree that Green has done a decent job with Jake other then jumping him from line to line he doesn't have the hockey iq to do that. He played good with bo when green put him there.  

But would you draft a pwf with our track record? 

Jim has changed the team to were guys like Jake and Vp can play their game without worry.

You right though they cost but you need pwfs in your top six to win in the playoffs.