The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why can't the Canucks develop a pwf?

Rate this topic

RowdyCanuck

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

WD sucked the life out of him early, and sure he needed more development time, the two of those things are the biggest reasons he hasn’t made steps with his hitting.  Not sure if TG was good for his confidence either, he came into the league somewhat entitled but at least he had swagger, and was quick enough to paste McDavid.  Then showing up to camp in poor condition sealed his fate.  Maybe now with more competition it will put a fire under him, the top six looks further away then ever, maybe Ferland will help get his hitting game back...but I’m not so sure he won’t be anything more then a speedy third liner...

A speedy, big, hits like a truck, scores 15 to 20 goals, is defensively excellent, paid 1.5 is a great player to have.  Would we rather have an over paid Ehlers or Nylander?  Those guys and their contracts are killing their teams, especially in the playoffs.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

A speedy, big, hits like a truck, scores 15 to 20 goals, is defensively excellent, paid 1.5 is a great player to have.  Would we rather have an over paid Ehlers or Nylander?  Those guys and their contracts are killing their teams, especially in the playoffs.  

Nope, he’s still valuable doing exactly that.   Not saying he’s not a part of the team, and personally can’t wait to see how he does in the playoffs when the whistle is put away, but there’s still a lot of maybes surrounding how he will peak, and a power forward is a big one. Two years at most before that boat will sail.

Before all the action around the draft and free agency I made several posts about next season providing JV a top six opportunity and the possibility of a break out finally being there.  It still is and he could still make it but it won’t be easy.  Competition is stiffer then it has been since he came back.

Scoring 15-20 goals and 30-35 points playing 14 minutes a game is good production, especially when your starting in the ozone only 30% of the time.   If that’s his peak, that’s ok.  And his cap hit will help until its time for a new contract .... but I do think tempering expectations at this point is reasonable, he’s not going to be Benn like, Torres is probably a more realistic ceiling.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

Jake is not a power forward and never will be. He threw his weight around in junior got to the nhl and disappeared .

have you seen his earlier highlights or watched him? He was laying the body on anyone and some big hits until the coach and captain decided to throw him under the bus and then he changed his game....he still hits just doesn't rock any body. Look at the ducks game...he was roughing up perry and then gets a blind side hit and ends up with acouple cracked ribs.....we will hopefully see more of the pest this up coming season with ferland and Miller and Benn now on the team. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Nope, he’s still valuable doing exactly that.   Not saying he’s not a part of the team, and personally can’t wait to see how he does in the playoffs when the whistle is put away, but there’s still a lot of maybes surrounding how he will peak, and a power forward is a big one. Two years at most before that boat will sail.

Before all the action around the draft and free agency I made several posts about next season providing JV a top six opportunity and the possibility of a break out finally being there.  It still is and he could still make it but it won’t be easy.  Competition is stiffer then it has been since he came back.

Scoring 15-20 goals and 30-35 points playing 14 minutes a game is good production, especially when your starting in the ozone only 30% of the time.   If that’s his peak, that’s ok.  And his cap hit will help until its time for a new contract .... but I do think tempering expectations at this point is reasonable, he’s not going to be Benn like, Torres is probably a more realistic ceiling.

I agree with tempering expectations but I don't think we know what we have in Jake until he plays with a better center(Sutter isn't doing any winger any favors) 

when jake played with Bo they looked good and most of the games I watched only reason Green slide him back to the third line was cause they needed him to bring the puck out of the d zone. 

So here's hoping Green puts Miller Bo and Jake together and leaves them alone for ten games. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

Jake is not a power forward and never will be. He threw his weight around in junior got to the nhl and disappeared .

Rule number 1, it's not over until it's over. JV is still young and can be taught to overcome any deficiencies that he needs, to say he can't is simply short sighted because if you want to bad enough you can learn anything at any age. I'm 54 and learning new things about my job and getting better every day because I want to.

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

I agree with tempering expectations but I don't think we know what we have in Jake until he plays with a better center(Sutter isn't doing any winger any favors) 

when jake played with Bo they looked good and most of the games I watched only reason Green slide him back to the third line was cause they needed him to bring the puck out of the d zone. 

So here's hoping Green puts Miller Bo and Jake together and leaves them alone for ten games. 

That would be great.  He had had looks in the past playing both with the top lines (not EP of course), but TG seems to keep him on a tight leash.   Maybe this year he’s unleashed, when he’s on you can see that north south game that good power players have in common.  My biggest complaint about him so far is his aversion to go deep into the dirty areas more then every now and again.  This is where Ferland could come in and help, and even Miller, so far I haven’t seen much of a warrior attitude in his game, it’s far too passive.   The first season we saw it more then any other year and it’s like WD killed his confidence or something.   He’s got it in him, just needs more time.  Worse case he’s a good third liner and that’s ok.  Best case he’s a 30-40 goal scorer with a power game. 

• Cheers 1