The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] NHL team to Offer Sheet Marner

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

That's not how it works.  Once signed the deal is done, just a matter of who's paying it.

I never said Narner signed it.  He can receive it but not sign and tell leafs let’s negotiate seriously or I’m signing it and you live with the consequences.

1 minute ago, timberz21 said:

I never said Narner signed it.  He can receive it but not sign and tell leafs let’s negotiate seriously or I’m signing it and you live with the consequences.

Undoubtedly that happens all the time anyway.  Agents use whatever leverage and angle they can -- no different from going to a used car dealer.  And I seriously doubt that a player or agent would take an unsigned offer sheet and show or speak of it to the other team, as that is minimally negotiating in very bad faith.  Do you think Carolina said to Aho, "Yeah, you go right ahead and sign that thing"?  Excellent way for an agent to find himself out of favour and out of work.

10 hours ago, Howisthishappening said:

No, I just fail to agree to this statement. Hockey players are just really really really big kids who play a kids game for fun, and money 2nd.

These guys bless and kiss their stars every day for being able to play in the NHL, they are paranoid and anxious year after year just to appeal to their coaches and not to be kicked off the team, they have to work really hard just to keep their spot.

They have no right and no say to be holding out for money, that is truly low. They should be happy to play the game and enjoy whatever money the owner decides to give them. 10 mill to play a kids game is enough for Marner, sorry. If a player is greedy and actually has the nerve to squeeze 1 extra million then to hek with him. No one wants a player like that in the NHL and frankly I am amazed players like that exist, they let the game get to their heads.

They are entertainers and nothing more, to think they have any say in how much more they want or need beyond the millionaires that they are is pure greed and it has no place in modern sports. This is coming from me, someone who aspires to be an owner one day  my self, and I am for sure not going to let a player dictate financials to me, they are assets to me, and they should be happy I given them a chance at all to play in the NHL.

Hockey players might be big kids saying all the right things but their agents be like:

23696675-7277-4DAA-877D-8283510A1383.png

17 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Lol.. imagine if Marner goes elsewhere and K Leonard goes to L.A on the same weekend..

Is it a National Holiday for the rest of Canada ? :emot-parrot:

Heard K Leonard is going to the Lakers,.   Maybe The Leafs could use Drakes help,.. it seems Drake is “available” Lol.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Heard K Leonard is going to the Lakers,.   Maybe The Leafs could use Drakes help,.. it seems Drake is “available” Lol.

thats disturbing 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats disturbing 

Hilarious.  Drake is fkn annoying.

People in Toronto need to put things in perspective.

They got their Championship.   That was the point.  The deal was worth it - whether or not he was essentially a one-year rental in the end.

I'm happy Toronto won a Championship, but feel very litte sympathy for anyone losing tears over Leonard leaving.

I'm thrilled that he did not wind up with the Lakers.  I used to like the Lakers - in the Magic era - next to the Supersonics they were one of my teams - but then.....Kobe happened.  Like - A-Rod level a-hole - and could not stand them since.

I'm happy to not only see them lose out on this - but to have the Clippers swoop in = priceless.

• Cheers 1

I doubt we will know much about any offersheet - unless Marner to actually sign one - which may be doubtful - would he want to trade in his matching Tavares comforter to play for someone else?  

I can't speak for him and have no idea what he would be thinking, but I'd be quite surprised if Marner signed an offersheet - not sure why - but not 'feeling' it.

• Upvote 2

On 7/5/2019 at 5:51 PM, theo5789 said:

They have Horton on LTIR which saves them over 5 million. And they will need to send down a forward, so they really almost have about 10 million in space. They really only need to move out a couple million more if they can lock him up before an offer sheet is signed and get him around 11.5-12 million.

Thought I read somewhere on here that LTIR can't be activated until the season begins so technically that amount is not available until then. Perhaps the 10% overage allowed until the season begins and the LTIR amount both come into effect at exactly the same moment ie the LTIR amount is activated at the exact moment that you need yo be cap compliant so you don't get any penalty. Not sure if I have explained myself very well.....

• Upvote 1

The longer this plays out the more I'm thinking that Dubas wants Marner to sign an offer sheet.  The leafs only have $3.7m in cap space left, according to capfriendly.  If they matched an offer sheet they would still have to shed $4m-$7m in cap space.  If he signs an offer sheet and the leafs can get 4 1st round picks as compensation, Dubas can sell that to there fans.  The media would spin that as a masterstroke even though the rest could see it a complete asset management failure.

13 hours ago, oldnews said:

Hilarious.  Drake is fkn annoying.

People in Toronto need to put things in perspective.

They got their Championship.   That was the point.  The deal was worth it - whether or not he was essentially a one-year rental in the end.

I'm happy Toronto won a Championship, but feel very litte sympathy for anyone losing tears over Leonard leaving.

I'm thrilled that he did not wind up with the Lakers.  I used to like the Lakers - in the Magic era - next to the Supersonics they were one of my teams - but then.....Kobe happened.  Like - A-Rod level a-hole - and could not stand them since.

I'm happy to not only see them lose out on this - but to have the Clippers swoop in = priceless.

yeah Drake was by far the most annoying thing I've seen related to sports in a while, thank god thats over. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yeah Drake was by far the most annoying thing I've seen related to sports in a while, thank god thats over. 

Canada's Kanye.

I love seeing American championships come North - ala the BlueJays = it drove a certain type of American nuts = was priceless - and this was more of the same - and some good revenge for them hoarding Stanley Cups.

But Drake - looks like a symptom of 'Americanizaion' - obnoxious imo = he's the only thing that would have been enjoyable about a Raptors loss.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

odd rumour - to include Tampa

Its a reference to the mlb rumor and that Montreal and Tampa are going to share a baseball team. Where half the games are played in Montreal and the other half in Tampa.

Edited by hockeyking
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, hockeyking said:

Its a reference to the mlb rumor and that Montreal and Tampa are going to share a baseball team. Where half the games are played in Montreal and the other half in Tampa.

thanks - that went over my head.

We should do the same with the Mariners.:bigblush:

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, danaimo said:

The longer this plays out the more I'm thinking that Dubas wants Marner to sign an offer sheet.  The leafs only have $3.7m in cap space left, according to capfriendly.  If they matched an offer sheet they would still have to shed $4m-$7m in cap space.  If he signs an offer sheet and the leafs can get 4 1st round picks as compensation, Dubas can sell that to there fans.  The media would spin that as a masterstroke even though the rest could see it a complete asset management failure.

Maybe they will give us one of those first for Tanev :bigblush: