The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] NHL team to Offer Sheet Marner

1 minute ago, Shift-4 said:

It will be matched

Leafs might match.  But then they would have to trade Matthews for futures and picks.  I think the Leafs would need to choose between the four firsts for Marner (could be late in the round) and the futures for Matthews.  

3 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

They have 3.7mil in cap, how they gonna match? Or can they go 9mil over the cap? I am not entirely sure how the offseason works.

Teams can exceed the limit by 10% in the off-season, but must be compliant again for the season. So teams can be at what then, pretty close to 90M? Vegas was right up against it before they made some recent moves. They can match but they'll have to move out I think just over a Nylander amount in cap before opening night.

Just now, vinny_in_vancouver said:

So if the offer sheet is 12.5, the rumoured amount, the Leafs can’t match until they move a contract, or contracts, that get them 1.4 million in room?  They would have 7 days to accomplish?  

22 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The Islanders under Trotz could be a regular playoff team. 4 1sts from them might not be a huge gamble to take on. Lou did them a favour by taking on Martin for peanuts and Dubas still has them in trouble, so I guess Lou is done doing them any more favours.

For those who suggested Columbus, their playoff hopes aren't as high in the foreseeable future even with the addition of Marner, so those 1sts will be very valuable. If they traded off the players they lost and gained picks, then that may have mitigated the risk of this offer sheet. I don't think they're in a position to do this.

Colorado could try it, but they have Rantanen on their own team that is a target. If they're trying to get him to a reasonable deal, then adding Marner will inflate his ask. Their 27 million in cap space will be depleted and they will still have to sign Zadorov, Compher and Kamenev. It puts them in a position to have to sell off depth pieces for cheap and not much room moving forward with MacKinnon's contract being up in 4 years amongst others even sooner.

• Upvote 3