Sign in to follow this  
Elias Pettersson

[Rumour] NHL team to Offer Sheet Marner

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Not worth much in trade right now.  Have to be Matthews.

Alf are you drunk?

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

So the Leafs are super close to having the cap room to match.  8.15 + 3.7 = 11.85. Right?  

#5.3M for Horton + the #3.8M they are currently under = $9.1M plus whatever current roster player that Marner would replace as they are already at 23. An Agostino, for example could come off and that would add another $700K for a total of $9.8M available.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Silver Ghost said:

Four 1st round picks doesn't help the leafs who are built to compete now. 

No but it's more ammo to make trades and find a suitable replacement.

TO will match, but it would be great to see them get squeezed even by an extra million. 

We should offer sheet Point. Lets give Tampa all our picks for the next 1/2 decade. (/s)

• Haha 2

Sic 'em, Lou!

Someone had calculated the amount above which Toronto cannot match unless they free up more salary.  At 10% over cap it's somewhere in the $12-13mil range.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

The Islanders under Trotz could be a regular playoff team. 4 1sts from them might not be a huge gamble to take on. Lou did them a favour by taking on Martin for peanuts and Dubas still has them in trouble, so I guess Lou is done doing them any more favours.

For those who suggested Columbus, their playoff hopes aren't as high in the foreseeable future even with the addition of Marner, so those 1sts will be very valuable. If they traded off the players they lost and gained picks, then that may have mitigated the risk of this offer sheet. I don't think they're in a position to do this.

Colorado could try it, but they have Rantanen on their own team that is a target. If they're trying to get him to a reasonable deal, then adding Marner will inflate his ask. Their 27 million in cap space will be depleted and they will still have to sign Zadorov, Compher and Kamenev. It puts them in a position to have to sell off depth pieces for cheap and not much room moving forward with MacKinnon's contract being up in 4 years amongst others even sooner.

And Marner will (likely) not sign with a team that he feels is not of playoff caliber.  He knows the compensation is four firsts.  

I think Columbus. Has to be a team who has their next 4 first round picks

Posted (edited)

We'll help you out, Kyle.  Schaller for Kapanen, to free up that extra mil you need :)

Maybe include Sautner so you don't have to play Marincin.

Edited by Hutton Wink
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Alf are you drunk?

I’m guessing that question is rhetorical.  :lol:

• Haha 1

I don’t care if it’s just a rumour, this is making my day. Hoping it’s true that someone isn’t afraid to stick it to the leafs. I have never liked the old boys club and everyone playing nice. I think the best case scenario is the offer sheet is real and signed, TO figures out a way to match and ices a team with no depth or cap options for the foreseeable future. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

#5.3M for Horton + the #3.8M they are currently under = $9.1M plus whatever current roster player that Marner would replace as they are already at 23. An Agostino, for example could come off and that would add another $700K for a total of $9.8M available.

Does LTIR count in the 10%? 

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

I think Columbus. Has to be a team who has their next 4 first round picks

Pretty sure you need four of your next five picks. 

• Hydration 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I’m guessing that question is rhetorical.  :lol:

AM ain't getting traded. Nylander will. 

• Upvote 1

Imagine losing Marner because they opened the vault for Nylander?

:lol:

• Hydration 1

Posted (edited)

No lube? 

Savage. 

But its the leafs. 

But if someone offer sheets Boeser?

Im as torn as Abradolf Lincler. 

Edited by MystifyNCrucify

13 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I hope its him again :lol: Marc the Shark. 

giphy.gif

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

How fun would this line be to watch:

Lee - Barzal - Marner

Go get him Lou

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

The Islanders under Trotz could be a regular playoff team. 4 1sts from them might not be a huge gamble to take on. Lou did them a favour by taking on Martin for peanuts and Dubas still has them in trouble, so I guess Lou is done doing them any more favours.

For those who suggested Columbus, their playoff hopes aren't as high in the foreseeable future even with the addition of Marner, so those 1sts will be very valuable. If they traded off the players they lost and gained picks, then that may have mitigated the risk of this offer sheet. I don't think they're in a position to do this.

Colorado could try it, but they have Rantanen on their own team that is a target. If they're trying to get him to a reasonable deal, then adding Marner will inflate his ask. Their 27 million in cap space will be depleted and they will still have to sign Zadorov, Compher and Kamenev. It puts them in a position to have to sell off depth pieces for cheap and not much room moving forward with MacKinnon's contract being up in 4 years amongst others even sooner.

Colorado are so set up with young talent and cap room 27 million...Sign Rantanen for 8.5 - 9 million so 18 million to sign Zadorav, Kamenev,  other super star on team are signed for 4 yrs ..Colorado are a scary team now with a 2nd line centre. They will be a top 8 team for many years..They will miss Barries offence ..