The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] NHL team to Offer Sheet Marner

1 hour ago, Habs4Life said:

I hope its Colorado. Kerfoot, Barrie, and 4 1sts for Marner and Kadri is still brutal but at least it screws Toronto.

Colorado is a perfect team to do it.  They have a loaded prospect pool and should be a playoff team for the next 4 years.  4 picks in the 20 range are well worth Mitch Marner.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Shift-4 said:

It will be matched

will be hard for Toronto to free up 8-9 mil in cap space with only 3.7 mil of cap space available. It will be exciting to see if they could do it.

image.png.8034e69f0207dee528d0966072d6236c.png

Edited by Shekky

57 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

#5.3M for Horton + the #3.8M they are currently under = $9.1M plus whatever current roster player that Marner would replace as they are already at 23. An Agostino, for example could come off and that would add another $700K for a total of $9.8M available.

We should trade Tanev (50% retained) for Ceci and a 3rd or something. Saves them over a couple million more to get them around 12 million in cap space to lock up Marner. They will be in tough to re-sign Ceci anyway after this season.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Shekky said:

will be hard for Toronto to free up 8-9 mil in cap space with only 3.7 mil of cap space available. It will be exciting to see if they could do it.

image.png.8034e69f0207dee528d0966072d6236c.png

They have Horton on LTIR which saves them over 5 million. And they will need to send down a forward, so they really almost have about 10 million in space. They really only need to move out a couple million more if they can lock him up before an offer sheet is signed and get him around 11.5-12 million.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, BCNate said:

Colorado is a perfect team to do it.  They have a loaded prospect pool and should be a playoff team for the next 4 years.  4 picks in the 20 range are well worth Mitch Marner.  

The only thing is giving a player 12.5 million sets a bar for the rest of the players, they will have to resign a lot of good young players in the near future. 

• Upvote 3

No team will operate with $0 cap space as the season starts. 

If the Leafs were to match 12.5M, they would likely have to clear 4M+ in cap space (likely 5M+ to be safe) to have any kind of wiggle room throughout the season. 

3.8 + 5.3 = 9.1 - 12.5 = -3.4M

Nylander would have to go for pennies on the dollar.

Goldobin for Nylander... waddya say Dumbass..err... Dubas?

Edited by HKSR
  • Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, canucklehead80 said:

Please be the Islanders. Can’t wait to see the panic on Kyle D’s face when it’s plastered all over the news.

The media will paint it as it being all under Dubas' genius plan. There will be no panic. They will spin it as "Toronto set to acquire 4 1st round picks! Dubas once again is a grandmaster" and then the Marner bashing will ensue about him being a disloyal player and a bad character and what not.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Colorado are so set up with young talent and cap room 27 million...Sign Rantanen for 8.5 - 9 million so 18 million to sign Zadorav, Kamenev,  other super star on team are signed for 4 yrs ..Colorado are a scary team now with a 2nd line centre. They will be a top 8 team for many years..They will miss Barries offence ..

Cale Makar makes losing Barrie more palatable I think. They are certainly going to be a power house. Though their goaltending is their next position to shore up, beyond 1 year of Lehner.

2 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Cale Makar makes losing Barrie more palatable I think. They are certainly going to be a power house. Though their goaltending is their next position to shore up, beyond 1 year of Lehner.

I think they believe in Grubauer. Lehner signed with the Hawks.

• Cheers 1

Regarding the Horton thing — Does he stay on LTIR throughout the off-season (thus giving the Leafs their relief) or does he have to be moved back to it at the start of the(/every) season again? I thought I remembered us having to work around a logistical issue with this a few years ago: a player that was starting the season injured, but LTIR didn't start until the regular season started and we had to have a replacement technically in the AHL until the injured player was placed on LTIR and his replacement brought up, to stay compliant.

I'm pondering that in a similar situation, the Leafs wouldn't be able to effectively utilize Horton's LTIR relief on Marner until the season starts and that overage allowance disappears. Where the cap nerds at?

I'm sure I remember a discussion around this sort of thing but it's been a while. Nobody seems to have mentioned this yet, so I'm expecting to be mistaken. :mellow:

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

We should trade Tanev (50% retained) for Ceci and a 3rd or something. Saves them over a couple million more to get them around 12 million in cap space to lock up Marner. They will be in tough to re-sign Ceci anyway after this season.

They’re going to match so this is a plausible trade for sure 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

The media will paint it as it being all under Dubas' genius plan. There will be no panic. They will spin it as "Toronto set to acquire 4 1st round picks! Dubas once again is a grandmaster" and then the Marner bashing will ensue about him being a disloyal player and a bad character and what not.

Apparently the Leaf fans are already blaming his daddy and the agent. 

"Leafs turn 1 old first round pick into 4 new ones -- the genius of Lord Dubas is the envy of the league"

Anyone remember these comments from Dubas last year after signing Tavares on July 1st, 2018? Yup, no problem at all........

People have been calculating how you can fit all of these young players when you have to re-sign some of these young guys under the cap. When you look at the situation, do you feel this signing gives you some flexibility to make some moves down the road if you have to, with all of the plethora of talent up front?

Dubas: Certainly, this year, we still have a healthy amount of cap space. Eventually, our younger players, as they continue to develop and progress, they are going to want to be paid what the market bears for them and that is no problem on our end. We are well situated to handle that when it comes.

• Haha 2

Ah' poor Dumbass

So if Marner leaves then will the Toronto sports networks be saying that he really wasn't that good, he was floating on the coat tails of Matthews, Nylander is a better player anyway.....etc?

• Upvote 1