The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] NHL team to Offer Sheet Marner

3 minutes ago, Aspie said:

It’s true I think he’s the best player on their team too. I’m stating the argument Dubas and Leaf fans bring up because they want Marner at a lower hit.

Im beginning to think this is Marner’s camp forcing Leafs hand into their demands.

agreed on both counts.  If I was Dubas, I'd seriously consider moving AM to fit Marner in.  AM, to me, is one of the most overrated players in the league.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, BPA said:

One would have to think Marner is at least that much considering he got 94 points in 82 games last year.

Matthews got 73 points in 68 games.

While Marner may be a better player, and get more money, than Mathews   don't get got up in the point totals being why one is better than the other.

they play different positions, not always together.

By the way Mathews is scoring 1.07 ppg, while Marner is getting 1.14 ppg.  not a great difference given the different positions played

1 minute ago, BPA said:

Canucks can be nice and help them out.

Trade Tanev (50% retained) + Sutter (50% retained) + Goldobin for Nylander and Ceci.

Lol

:P

insert kapenen for nylander and done!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

agreed on both counts.  If I was Dubas, I'd seriously consider moving AM to fit Marner in.  AM, to me, is one of the most overrated players in the league.

They won’t move him. He still has the “1st overall generation talent” aura around him. I think they move Nylander to free up cap space.

45 minutes ago, BPA said:

Canucks can be nice and help them out.

Trade Tanev (50% retained) + Sutter (50% retained) + Goldobin for Nylander and Ceci.

Lol

:P

I realize you're joking.

Because that deal would have the Canucks eating about 6 million of cap they don't have after signing Boeser and shouldering that bullshizz crap recrap.

If the Leafs hadn't signed Ceci to a deal that enables him to walk next summer (at an inflated cap hit imo) , I'd probably have a bit more interest in him.

As it stands I'd probably leave the D out and lowball - no help for the Laffs blueline -  offer them Baertschi retained (1.68 mllion) and Goldobin for Kapanen.  They don't like that they can continue to have sex with themselves.   That buys them a bit of cap to inch up to Marner terms.  They have about 10.2 million presently (after LTIR and waiving/assigning a forward) - this would gain them about 1.6 (Goldobin replaces a Meheyev) while getting a pair of talented young NHL forwards return on Kapanen (correctiong - that's not really a lowball)...  to about 11.8 cap space....Marner should come in below that imo - 11.6 and 11.0 to Matthews and Tavares - for once the Leafs should put a ceiling on cap at one of those hits imo. 

Edited by oldnews
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

The media will paint it as it being all under Dubas' genius plan. There will be no panic. They will spin it as "Toronto set to acquire 4 1st round picks! Dubas once again is a grandmaster" and then the Marner bashing will ensue about him being a disloyal player and a bad character and what not.

Absolutely, you know the “Spinsters” will be out in full force trying to make it look like this was the plan all along. Might be the only way they could ever rebuild their defence with those cap problems::D

10 minutes ago, canucklehead80 said:

Absolutely, you know the “Spinsters” will be out in full force trying to make it look like this was the plan all along. Might be the only way they could ever rebuild their defence with those cap problems::D

No kidding, good grief. Was listening to Gord Stellik this morning on NHL Network. He said the Leafs have done well with no bad contracts, lol. They just had to throw away Connor Brown and a first to ditch two bad contacts. Not to mention how they have severely lowered Nylanders value with a bad contract. Its embarrassing how the pundits suck up to the Leafs. 

Edited by rekker

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

TO will match, but it would be great to see them get squeezed even by an extra million. 

We should offer sheet Point. Lets give Tampa all our picks for the next 1/2 decade. (/s)

I wish...but we can't cuz we don't have our 1st pick next year (or the one after).