The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] NHL team to Offer Sheet Marner

18 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Boeser cannot be offer sheeted.

So you are saying someone cant re-emancipate him from his inferior genes? 

I know. Ive been told. Ten games. Knew it before i posted. Memory is clearly my inferior gene. 

Not the “simmons” kind either. 

I'm going to go out on a limb and change my prediction on who it is. If offer sheet for Marner shows up, don't think its actually Columbus, I think it might be Detroit.

They have 2 guys on LTIR, totaling roughly 10 million. They have the room to do something like this, and a new GM who could be looking to make a splash.

5 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and change my prediction on who it is. If offer sheet for Marner shows up, don't think its actually Columbus, I think it might be Detroit.

They have 2 guys on LTIR, totaling roughly 10 million. They have the room to do something like this, and a new GM who could be looking to make a splash.

Offer sheets can show up all they want. It depends on if marner signs it. 

This is all hype click bait $&!#e for journalism hacks that are too fat and lazy to find a real story. 

4 hours ago, Habs4Life said:

Leafs will match but it makes things very hard for them. They will need to trade Nylander most likely. 

VAN

50% of Nylander’s salary

1st ‘21

1st ‘22

TOR

Utunen

Edited by Me_

Just now, MystifyNCrucify said:

Offer sheets can show up all they want. It depends on if marner signs it. 

This is all hype click bait $&!#e for journalism hacks that are too fat and lazy to find a real story. 

I agree that its up to him to sign it. I think there is a substantial chance of him getting one though because of the following:

Toronto has about 9.5 - 10.5 in actual cap space right now, depending on who is going to be in their starting lineup. I think if Marner was happy at 10.5 million, then 8 x 10.5 million would already be done.

I think Marner sees himself pretty close to the same level as Matthews which puts him at least at 11.5 million, which Toronto doesn't have, but could with some more moves.

Further, after Nylander going an extended period of time last season without a contract, I don't think Marner will be a hold out, it didn't work very well for Nylander last season and arguably, for the Leafs either.

If Marner wants to earn what I think he believes that he's worth, his only way of getting there may be through offer sheet. 

I don't think he's actually looking to leave Toronto, but I think if a sheet gets put in front of him, from a team that will also be aggressive on building a winner, he might do the math that Toronto can only really support 2 guys in the 11 - 12 million range and still build enough of a supporting cast to be competitive, and decide to force the issue instead of waiting on things to play out.

Will see soon enough if that's how this plays out, but I really do believe that there's a strong possibility that we see a sheet extended to him at least.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I agree that its up to him to sign it. I think there is a substantial chance of him getting one though because of the following:

Toronto has about 9.5 - 10.5 in actual cap space right now, depending on who is going to be in their starting lineup. I think if Marner was happy at 10.5 million, then 8 x 10.5 million would already be done.

I think Marner sees himself pretty close to the same level as Matthews which puts him at least at 11.5 million, which Toronto doesn't have, but could with some more moves.

Further, after Nylander going an extended period of time last season without a contract, I don't think Marner will be a hold out, it didn't work very well for Nylander last season and arguably, for the Leafs either.

If Marner wants to earn what I think he believes that he's worth, his only way of getting there may be through offer sheet. 

I don't think he's actually looking to leave Toronto, but I think if a sheet gets put in front of him, from a team that will also be aggressive on building a winner, he might do the math that Toronto can only really support 2 guys in the 11 - 12 million range and still build enough of a supporting cast to be competitive, and decide to force the issue instead of waiting on things to play out.

Will see soon enough if that's how this plays out, but I really do believe that there's a strong possibility that we see a sheet extended to him at least.

Correct. If a rational human being gets offered more money, longer term, in “possibly” a better city, when he has seen lesser players get far more than they are worth....you cant fault the guy. 

ShanaScam and DumBas are pretending like toronto is the center of the hockey world and expecting their stars to sign discounts. 

The only problem is that they pandered to Willy Nylly when he pouted for a new contract. 

Real players see this.

It doesnt even matter that “Ny-Land-the-eff on the bench when it matters got fair market value and will earn his contract next year.”  

What matters is that Dubas let it get to that point. He bent over and “low T soy boyed”. He should have traded flamingo *edit* as soon as willy held out longer than the first game of preseason. Thats a precedent, and a character issue. 

He is damned if he does and damned if he doesnt at this point. Nylander screwed him. 

Edited by MystifyNCrucify

I don't think he's actually looking to leave Toronto, 

You completely contradict your self in this post. 

Of course he is looking to leave Toronto, if it was just about 10.5 vs 12 mill he would have easily taken 10.5 mill over 8 years my friend if he wanted Toronto.

10.5 vs 12 mill is nothing to NHL players at that caliber, that extra 1 mill has never been and never will be an issue.

These guys are players at heart, they love the game, money is always 2nd, no one will ever waste their time or management time if it comes down to 1 extra mill when you are already making 10 million.

NHL players are not realtors, or bankers or accountants, they are not after every dollar, they often say how fortunate they are to play in the NHL and how they love the game, never forget they are just kids at heart, money is definitely not the reason Marner is holding out, it is because of something that is wrong with Toronto. 

Edited by Howisthishappening

1 hour ago, Howisthishappening said:

Of course he is looking to leave Toronto, if it was just about 10.5 vs 12 mill he would have easily taken 10.5 mill over 8 years my friend if he wanted Toronto.

10.5 vs 12 mill is nothing to NHL players at that caliber, that extra 1 mill has never been and never will be an issue.

These guys are players at heart, they love the game, money is always 2nd, no one will ever waste their time or management time if it comes down to 1 extra mill when you are already making 10 million.

NHL players are not realtors, or bankers or accountants, they are not after every dollar, they often say how fortunate they are to play in the NHL and how they love the game, never forget they are just kids at heart, money is definitely not the reason Marner is holding out, it is because of something that is wrong with Toronto. 

I dont think it can be a blanket phrase like that. Some players do sign for every penny extra they can, depends on circumstances. With Marner I think its TO low balling in the 9.5 range and Marner telling them to stuff it and rightfully so. Rookie Dubas overpaid Nylander and has backed himself into a corner. They are paying that floater 7 per year and if I'm Marner no way in hell I'm taking 9.5 per. He's worth 11 easy. 1.5 over 7 or 8 years is a lot of money and I hope Marner sticks to his guns. 

Edited by rekker

Toronto fans will have a meltdown if they lose him..

Some are already, because the Habs just signed D man Chariot, thinking that the Habs would scoop Gardner.

I hope Marner does move on.

its payback for getting Tavares and trying to look like they knew what they were doing.. same with resigning Nylander.

Marner is worth more than Mathews.

But to see the Leafs get 3? 1st round picks out of an offer sheet take away..  well, let’s see how they manage those signings in 4-5 years ;) 

1 minute ago, rekker said:

I dont think it can be a blanket phrase like that. Some players do sign for every penny extra they can, depends on circumstances. With Marner I think its TO low balling in the 9.5 range and Marner telling them to stuff it and rightfully so. Rookie Dubas overpaid Nylander and has backed himself into a corner. They are paying that floater 7 per year and if I'm Marner no way in hell I'm taking 7 per. He's worth 11 easy. 1.5 over 7 or 8 years is a lot of money and I hope Marner sticks to his guns. 

No, I just fail to agree to this statement. Hockey players are just really really really big kids who play a kids game for fun, and money 2nd.

These guys bless and kiss their stars every day for being able to play in the NHL, they are paranoid and anxious year after year just to appeal to their coaches and not to be kicked off the team, they have to work really hard just to keep their spot.

They have no right and no say to be holding out for money, that is truly low. They should be happy to play the game and enjoy whatever money the owner decides to give them. 10 mill to play a kids game is enough for Marner, sorry. If a player is greedy and actually has the nerve to squeeze 1 extra million then to hek with him. No one wants a player like that in the NHL and frankly I am amazed players like that exist, they let the game get to their heads.

They are entertainers and nothing more, to think they have any say in how much more they want or need beyond the millionaires that they are is pure greed and it has no place in modern sports. This is coming from me, someone who aspires to be an owner one day  my self, and I am for sure not going to let a player dictate financials to me, they are assets to me, and they should be happy I given them a chance at all to play in the NHL.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 2

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

VAN

50% of Nylander’s salary

1st ‘21

1st ‘22

TOR

Utunen

Why would they give up more to send away Nylander while holding onto half the salary when they sent Marleau away for a 1st?

2 minutes ago, Aspie said:

Why would they give up more to send away Nylander while holding onto half the salary when they sent Marleau away for a 1st?

They keep Nylander. We buy 50% of his salary for 2 1sts.

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, Howisthishappening said:

I think you are definitely on to something here. If TO is able to extend Barrie, they are going to be in tough against the Cap for years to come, similar to Chicago. Four 1st rounders plus their own 1st Rounders go a long way to being able to utilize players on ELC's in the very near foreseeable future. Maybe Dumb@ss is not so dumb after all. ::D