The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Boeser Camp Eyeing 4 Year Deal Worth $28M

3 minutes ago, mll said:

In 4 years he'll be 26 with 1 year to free agency and will have all the leverage.  Do you then give him 8 years that brings him up to age 34.  

The Sharks are in a win now mode and who knows where they will be in 4 years when some of their already 30ish core players start to slow down.  This is Meier's reasoning of why his camp wanted 4 years and that structure.  He says they 1st agreed on the length before starting to talk money.  Via google translate as the original quote is in German:

We had a clear idea of what we wanted. We are very satisfied with what we have now. When it runs out, I'm 26 years old and ready for the big ticket.
Q: The big ticket?
To negotiate freely with other teams, I would have to be 27 years old when the contract expires. My fourth year contract with San Jose brings in $ 10 million. The club then has the right to extend my contract for another year, provided that they pay those ten million.
Then in the next five years, I would get an average wage of $ 6.8 million.
If San Jose does not pay the ten million for a fifth year, I can bargain with other franchises.

Boeser will be worth 8mil, he's on the verge of a PPG year IMO.

I think we should lock him up till he's 34, but front load his contract through his prime years, and allow easy trade and buyout options near the end.

16 hours ago, stawns said:

hasn't earned a $7m payday yet.  If he jolds out, ala Nylander, I hope JB moves him for a mint rather than cave like Dumbass did

Agents are apparently waiting on Marner to set the market.

NHL Network was surprised how quickly Wilson was able to get Meier signed and applauded him for getting ahead of the market.  They believe that agents are mostly going to wait.  They think that those top RFAs have all the power.  McKenzie predicts that when he returns to work after Labour day most top RFAs will still be unsigned.

Cam Neely says "Across the league, [negotiations with RFAs] has been like sweeping mud." and thinks that Carlo and MacAvoy might not be at camp. 

Mirtle in the Athletic (paywall) writes:

https://theathletic.com/1109845/2019/08/02/mirtle-where-the-mitch-marner-negotiations-are-at-and-why-theyre-holding-up-so-many-other-rfas/

It’s been fascinating talking to various executives and agents around the league about the Marner situation this week, as they all see it a little differently. One view that’s shared, however, is that this contract will be the bellwether RFA deal of the 2019 offseason.

It will effectively set the market’s ceiling – and everyone else will lineup underneath.

[...]

So other RFAs and their agents are simply waiting for Marner to sign and set the bar for what they can ask for.

The Leafs apparently offered over 10M on an 8 year-deal to but he is not interested going that long term.  He thinks Marner's camp countered with a 3-year bridge in the 10M range.

Fwiw Boeser's agency Octagon also represents Laine and Rantanen - not the same agents though.  

11 minutes ago, Tystick said:

Boeser will be worth 8mil, he's on the verge of a PPG year IMO.

I think we should lock him up till he's 34, but front load his contract through his prime years, and allow easy trade and buyout options near the end.

Meier's qualifying offer is 10M.

It's generally easier to trade someone when there's less salary left to pay, but if a player regresses to the point where you have to buy him out - the lower the salary left to pay the higher the buyout cap hit.  

Front loaded contracts have higher buyout cap hits than back loaded deals.  The league doesn't want teams to front load contracts to reduce the cap hit and then just buyout the player when his play starts to regress.  The buyout cap hit is current cap hit less salary savings.  So the lower the salary owed, the lower the salary savings and the higher the buyout cap hit. 

So Brock is asking for 7m and 4 years, apparently?  Reasonable initial ask, imo.... and room to get him to maybe 6.5 or less?

I really don't think there is a serious risk of Boeser not succeeding but I still think 7 is a bit high.  6.5 for 5 years would be a fair deal for all.  One more year of term, slightly less money - but more money than Bo to account for a few more points.

• Cheers 1

On 8/5/2019 at 11:34 AM, mll said:

Agents are apparently waiting on Marner to set the market.

NHL Network was surprised how quickly Wilson was able to get Meier signed and applauded him for getting ahead of the market.  They believe that agents are mostly going to wait.  They think that those top RFAs have all the power.  McKenzie predicts that when he returns to work after Labour day most top RFAs will still be unsigned.

Cam Neely says "Across the league, [negotiations with RFAs] has been like sweeping mud." and thinks that Carlo and MacAvoy might not be at camp. 

Mirtle in the Athletic (paywall) writes:

https://theathletic.com/1109845/2019/08/02/mirtle-where-the-mitch-marner-negotiations-are-at-and-why-theyre-holding-up-so-many-other-rfas/

It’s been fascinating talking to various executives and agents around the league about the Marner situation this week, as they all see it a little differently. One view that’s shared, however, is that this contract will be the bellwether RFA deal of the 2019 offseason.

It will effectively set the market’s ceiling – and everyone else will lineup underneath.

[...]

So other RFAs and their agents are simply waiting for Marner to sign and set the bar for what they can ask for.

The Leafs apparently offered over 10M on an 8 year-deal to but he is not interested going that long term.  He thinks Marner's camp countered with a 3-year bridge in the 10M range.

Fwiw Boeser's agency Octagon also represents Laine and Rantanen - not the same agents though.  

Of course the RFAs and agents are waiting on the Marner deal. Toronto has been overpaying their RFAs and messing the market up, so why not wait until they do it again and so everyone has someone to follow suit.

Not a fan on the structure of the Meier deal, but they're going all in now, so they need guys at as low of a cap hit as they can garner. They might just not even qualify him or try to trade him before he gets to that 5th year though depending on their cap situation at that point.

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

So Brock is asking for 7m and 4 years, apparently?  Reasonable initial ask, imo.... and room to get him to maybe 6.5 or less?

I really don't think there is a serious risk of Boeser not succeeding but I still think 7 is a bit high.  6.5 for 5 years would be a fair deal for all.  One more year of term, slightly less money - but more money than Bo to account for a few more points.

Bo Horvat's contract was and is a MEGA STEAL. Don't expect the same from Boeser (unless Benning is really making some tasty kool-aid these days)

On 8/5/2019 at 11:18 AM, mll said:

In 4 years he'll be 26 with 1 year to free agency and will have all the leverage.  Do you then give him 8 years that brings him up to age 34.  

The Sharks are in a win now mode and who knows where they will be in 4 years when some of their already 30ish core players start to slow down.  This is Meier's reasoning of why his camp wanted 4 years and that structure.  He says they 1st agreed on the length before starting to talk money.  Via google translate as the original quote is in German:

We had a clear idea of what we wanted. We are very satisfied with what we have now. When it runs out, I'm 26 years old and ready for the big ticket.
Q: The big ticket?
To negotiate freely with other teams, I would have to be 27 years old when the contract expires. My fourth year contract with San Jose brings in $ 10 million. The club then has the right to extend my contract for another year, provided that they pay those ten million.
Then in the next five years, I would get an average wage of $ 6.8 million.
If San Jose does not pay the ten million for a fifth year, I can bargain with other franchises.

I've never heard of a club option on an NHL contract. Weird.

2 hours ago, kloubek said:

5 years would take him to UFA tho no? I would go 7-8 years. Or if its a bridge deal 3 years I suppose as in 2 years we need to sign EP, Quinny and Demko

48 minutes ago, Yung1 said:

I've never heard of a club option on an NHL contract. Weird.

If SJS qualify him at 10mill he gets extension for 1year. If they don't qualify him he goes UFA. 

So it will be SJS option whether to extend him for a year or let him walk. 

Or both parties could negotiate a new 2yrs to 8 yrs long contract. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

If SJS qualify him at 10mill he gets extension for 1year. If they don't qualify him he goes UFA. 

So it will be SJS option whether to extend him for a year or let him walk. 

Or both parties could negotiate a new 2yrs to 8 yrs long contract. 

Ahhhhh so it's actually a QO due to him still being RFA. That makes sense. 

I wonder if the NHL will allow player/club options to be added to contracts in the next CBA

1 hour ago, BrockBoester said:

Bo Horvat's contract was and is a MEGA STEAL. Don't expect the same from Boeser (unless Benning is really making some tasty kool-aid these days)

Of course, you're right - I guess just knowing the character that Brock is and the fact the future captain took less to be signed long(ish) term might prompt him to leave a bit on the table.  Like I said, he would still be making more than Horvat who has a more complete game.

I think Brock is the greatest thing on the planet but if he wants 7 AAV I think it should be 6-8 years, I can't say he's deserved 7 million over 4 years yet.

Really hope it's a major long term deal. Heck sign him for eternity.

If we sign him for 4... it'll be very difficult to keep him after he scores well over 1 point per game in the next 4 years as part of our dynasty. It would end the Dynasty to lose Brock in year 5.

• Cheers 3

13 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Of course, you're right - I guess just knowing the character that Brock is and the fact the future captain took less to be signed long(ish) term might prompt him to leave a bit on the table.  Like I said, he would still be making more than Horvat who has a more complete game.

I highly doubt that.  This ufa group want as much money as they can get and that seems to include Boeser at this point.

4 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Of course the RFAs and agents are waiting on the Marner deal. Toronto has been overpaying their RFAs and messing the market up, so why not wait until they do it again and so everyone has someone to follow suit.

To be fair, the RFA market is constantly on the rise. If it wasn't Kyle Dubas, it would be the next guy and Brian Burke saw this coming a long time ago. The 2nd (bridge) contract has essentially been eliminated for the upper echilon. What I find interesting is that the players could be the ones to bring it back. The thought used to be security trumps all, but then the tide shifted when players started leveraging other teams by signing or threating of an offersheet. So players were signing big money deals coming off their ELC. Now things are shifting back the other way and players are realizing that they might actual make more money in the long haul (with the way game is growing and new TV deals etc), so a bridge deal might actually be the best way to go. 

Back to Dubas, I don't think the Nylander signing was that bad. Sure, the player got full value, but it's not like he was going to sign for less than $6.5M. So I don't think $6.9M shook up the market that much. I'm sure they discussed cheaper deals for less years but that's just what it cost to buy out Nylander's UFA years. The right move would have been to trade Nylander for a defenseman IMO. 

Edited by VIC_CITY

1 hour ago, VIC_CITY said:

To be fair, the RFA market is constantly on the rise. If it wasn't Kyle Dubas, it would be the next guy and Brian Burke saw this coming a long time ago. The 2nd (bridge) contract has essentially been eliminated for the upper echilon. What I find interesting is that the players could be the ones to bring it back. The thought used to be security trumps all, but then the tide shifted when players started leveraging other teams by signing or threating of an offersheet. So players were signing big money deals coming off their ELC. Now things are shifting back the other way and players are realizing that they might actual make more money in the long haul (with the way game is growing and new TV deals etc), so a bridge deal might actually be the best way to go. 

Back to Dubas, I don't think the Nylander signing was that bad. Sure, the player got full value, but it's not like he was going to sign for less than $6.5M. So I don't think $6.9M shook up the market that much. I'm sure they discussed cheaper deals for less years but that's just what it cost to buy out Nylander's UFA years. The right move would have been to trade Nylander for a defenseman IMO. 

I haven't followed the reports on what Toronto was hoping he would sign for (if the difference was 6.5-6.9, it wouldn't have taken as long as it did to get a deal done). I imagine Nylander wanted 7 and Toronto wanted 5-5.5 knowing that they have RFAs to sign and this would be a benchmark. They were performing just fine without him, but decided to cave thinking that was the year that they would make a serious push and adding Nylander to an already high performing group would supposedly put them over the top. I personally thought he should've gotten no more than 5.5 at the time.

So regardless of numbers, the fact is they caved. So RFAs and agents are just waiting for them to cave again to inflate the market. They're foolish if they think they can sign Marner for 10 after giving Matthews 11.5 (another overpayment and didn't even buy UFA years). 

8 hours ago, kloubek said:

5 years brings him to UFA.  Even 4 years is not really ideal as he would be 1 year to UFA and have all the leverage.  If the deal is backloaded like Meier he can just sign the qualifying offer and then test the market. 

Edited by mll

8 hours ago, kloubek said:

More points?

5 hours ago, apollo said:

I think Brock is the greatest thing on the planet but if he wants 7 AAV I think it should be 6-8 years, I can't say he's deserved 7 million over 4 years yet.

Really hope it's a major long term deal. Heck sign him for eternity.

If we sign him for 4... it'll be very difficult to keep him after he scores well over 1 point per game in the next 4 years as part of our dynasty. It would end the Dynasty to lose Brock in year 5.

I think we better wait until we go undefeated in the preseason before we start tossing the word dynasty around ;)

• Cheers 1