The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Boeser Camp Eyeing 4 Year Deal Worth $28M

5 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I highly doubt that.  This ufa group want as much money as they can get and that seems to include Boeser at this point.

At this point last year, Bo hadn’t signed yet and people had the same narrative. He ended up leaving a lot of money on the table.

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

At this point last year, Bo hadn’t signed yet and people had the same narrative. He ended up leaving a lot of money on the table.

Horvat got a fair contract. He did not leave anything on the table. Quit making stuff up lmao.  :picard:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canucks-sign-bo-horvat-six-year-33-million-contract/

https://lastwordonhockey.com/2017/10/12/analyzing-bo-horvat-new-contract/

You might want to read this one - it is clear Horvat got a fair contract. NOTHING was left on the table.

https://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/canucks-go-long-signing-bo-horvat-for-33-million-for-6-years-1.22547765

This one even says some might see the Horvat contract as an over payment and that he needed to prove he was worth it.  It was not an over payment. It was fair. Bo left nothing on the table.

So you say Bo Horvat left "A LOT OF MONEY ON THE TABLE".  

Please give us any actual evidence that occurred in 2017 when the contract was signed.  You probably can't because your narrative is made up. The contract looks great in hindsight and that is all you are using....HINDSIGHT.

Edit: back on topic. I expect Boeser will get a fair contract. He WONT leave any money on the table just like any other young budding star wont leave any money on the table. Give me a break.  I would do 7 years at 7 million for sure. That is fair.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Horvat got a fair contract. He did not leave anything on the table. Quit making stuff up lmao.  :picard:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canucks-sign-bo-horvat-six-year-33-million-contract/

You might want to read this one - it is clear Horvat got a fair contract. NOTHING was left on the table.

https://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/canucks-go-long-signing-bo-horvat-for-33-million-for-6-years-1.22547765

This one even says some might see the Horvat contract as an over payment and that he needed to prove he was worth it.  It was not an over payment. It was fair. Bo left nothing on the table.

Please give us any actual evidence that occurred in 2017 when the contract was signed.  You probably can't because your narrative is made up. The contract looks great in hindsight and that is all you are using....HINDSIGHT.

Edit: back on topic. I expect Boeser will get a fair contract. He WONT leave any money on the table just like any other young budding star wont leave any money on the table. Give me a break.  I would do 7 years at 7 million for sure. That is fair.

context is absolutely everything. Monahan made 6.375, Huberdeau 5.9 (both great contracts as well), a lot of players between that 4 and 6.375 area for sure. The only reason I believe he left money on the table is that 6 million dollar anchor we have floating around and not really doing much. The problem is, had we had players that had no character, we could have gotten into deep trouble. It is absolutely reasonable for Horvat to demand a higher salary than Eriksson. He scores more, he plays better, defends better, is the future captain and has been on an upward trajectory his entire career. Of course LE was UFA and Bo was RFA but there is still no reason that LE should have stayed our highest paid forward that offseason, which was 2 years ago (my bad).

Imagine if Horvat had been anything like Nylander. Do you really think he would have settled for 5.5? Nylander got the salary he got because he saw Tavares & Matthews contract and he then thought he was worth something he wasn't. Horvat, had he not had any character, could have done the same.

Context.

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

LEs deal means squat - he was a UFA and teams expect to overpay for past production - not that he’s even come close to earning it.  

This years RFA class is still in a holding pattern waiting for Point and or Marner to sign.   Laine and Conner are also waiting and Boesers stats aren’t much different then Conners yet no way is he getting 7 .... his PPG is lower of course but not by much.    WNP probably wants to bridge Laine and they probably want long term, he didn’t have a good year last year by his standards at all.   I hate that RFA stars are now making UFA type money just when we are about to compete and our second core player ready fo his contract.  No way we get the same deal we got on Horvat BUT at least we have that comparable, it certainly won’t be LE (again apples and oranges LE soaked us for sure but back when he was an RFA they didn’t get paid the same way as they do now).  If anything if Boesers camp used LE (which no way they would), JB could counter by comparing what he got after his entry deal ha ha.   

Once Point or Marner signs the rest will come like dominoes.  At least that’s what the media is saying and the GMs themselves - WNPs says signing their RFAs is like crawling through mud recently, I get the idea that overall none of them are impressed with the way things have changed.   Teams simply can’t afford to pay players like UFAs twice and it is going to have deep ramifications going forward.   Buffalo signing Eichel to such ridiculous money was because McDavid got he best deal in the NHL at the time....too bad it didn’t stop there.  Dubas did a terrible job with both Nylander and AM, and then AJ and Kapanen were given good bridge deals - go figure - even though technically both those guys could be or are better players then Nylander - which is an example of the problems signing RFAs with UFA type money creates internally, that and trying to assemble a balanced line-up with league minimums all over the place if you have a top heavy team like TO does.   AM might be the worst contract in the NHL right now for star quality players.   He can’t stay healthy yet is getting paid like a top five player league wide.   Maybe he’s the new Lemuiex and maybe that’s what Dubas thought after the huge but unsustainable GPG he started with last season, before once again he got injured ... it appears that Burke’s worst nightmare is happening and now that the Djini is out of the bottle there is no turning back - that is guys are now getting third contract money in two or three years before they’ve proved beyond a doubt that they actually earn it.  It’s not a great trend under the cap...teams won’t be able to add as much anymore and won’t be able to afford a balanced team with more then a select few star caliber guys.   The years of five or six stars on one team are all but over - sad really.   The next CBA they should really look at ways to contain this, it reminds me of the salary escalation that ended up causing the lock out, a missed season and the cap in the first place.   The only way I can think of curbing it is by installing an RFA cap.  

I’m sure that the NHLPA would be all over this too as the majority of the players are the group that’s taking the pay cut to make money available to the minority and average career lengths are getting smaller in favour of worse but cheaper ELC options available to teams.  Older vets with years of hockey left in them aren’t getting fourth contracts as often.   Id set it at around 60-70% of the leagues max salary for the years that are not UFA ones and any years that are part of those can be extended to 90% AND no front loading allowed, you get paid what each year is under the contract, so bigger salaries during UFA eligible years not what the average cap hit is.

Where the incentive now?  Players should be working hard at lower salaries so they can EARN their career contract which is supposed to be the UFA one.  Like all the average joes do - the Ferlands of the league. 

So in Marner and Points case they would get the max, and Boeser, Laine, MT and Conners salaries would be less comparatively.   If Point and Marner are getting 8, they’d be getting 5-6 right?  That’s about what all these guys would be getting five years ago and nobody would be complaining on either sides.  Blame McDavid - a little - blame Buffalo a LOT, same with TO.

Well said and I agree completely

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Good post.!  I remember when Horvat was signed and pretty much the CDC consensus was that it was fair, if anything leaning a tad on Horvats side, anyone who is willing to go back and remind themselves all the evidence is available.   What was his career high again and who else was getting a similar salary? Yes there was definitely no money left on the table.  Since then Horvats continued to get better which is what one should expect...that said some guys don’t get better and some actually regress.   We did well as a team given the cap keeps climbing and so does Horvat.  If he peaked then it would still look ok, but not great.   Right at the beginning I said we should sign Boeser to similar deal that Tarasenko got, that is 7.5 x 8.   Quite a few posters ripped me for suggesting that ... wonder what they think now.

I want him locked him long term too and buy some UFA years as I think he’s worth every penny.  The absolute worst scenario is 7 right until he’s a free agent and then watch him leave  - just pay the guy already and get on with it.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

context is absolutely everything. Monahan made 6.375, Huberdeau 5.9 (both great contracts as well), a lot of players between that 4 and 6.375 area for sure. The only reason I believe he left money on the table is that 6 million dollar anchor we have floating around and not really doing much. The problem is, had we had players that had no character, we could have gotten into deep trouble. It is absolutely reasonable for Horvat to demand a higher salary than Eriksson. He scores more, he plays better, defends better, is the future captain and has been on an upward trajectory his entire career. Of course LE was UFA and Bo was RFA but there is still no reason that LE should have stayed our highest paid forward that offseason, which was 2 years ago (my bad).

Imagine if Horvat had been anything like Nylander. Do you really think he would have settled for 5.5? Nylander got the salary he got because he saw Tavares & Matthews contract and he then thought he was worth something he wasn't. Horvat, had he not had any character, could have done the same.

Context.

I don't even know what you are going on about in this rambling mess.

You said Bo Horvat left "A LOT OF MONEY ON THE TABLE".

I clearly presented evidence that he DID NOT leave money on the table. He signed a fair contract in 2017 when it was signed.

Now if one were to continue to use hindsight to try and prove a point....well.....sorry but that does not work in the real world.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

If Boeser wants over 7 than its only fair for Vancouver to lock that price in long term. Cap inflation if Boeser continues to improve 7ish million will probably look like a steal in 3-4 years.

if he wants over 7, then it's only fair for Vancouver to explore a trade.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I don't even know what you are going on about in this rambling mess.

You said Bo Horvat left "A LOT OF MONEY ON THE TABLE".

I clearly presented evidence that he DID NOT leave money on the table. He signed a fair contract in 2017 when it was signed.

Now if one were to continue to use hindsight to try and prove a point....well.....sorry but that does not work in the real world.

Not to mention he says that Nylander saw what Tavares and AM contracts looked like and therefore asked more - AM didn’t have a contract yet and Tavares signed for a team friendly 5 million when he was a RFA and EARNED his payday which is how it’s supposed to work.  

Edited by IBatch

21 hours ago, IBatch said:

LEs deal means squat - he was a UFA and teams expect to overpay for past production - not that he’s even come close to earning it.  

This years RFA class is still in a holding pattern waiting for Point and or Marner to sign.   Laine and Conner are also waiting and Boesers stats aren’t much different then Conners yet no way is he getting 7 .... his PPG is lower of course but not by much.    WNP probably wants to bridge Laine and they probably want long term, he didn’t have a good year last year by his standards at all.   I hate that RFA stars are now making UFA type money just when we are about to compete and our second core player ready fo his contract.  No way we get the same deal we got on Horvat BUT at least we have that comparable, it certainly won’t be LE (again apples and oranges LE soaked us for sure but back when he was an RFA they didn’t get paid the same way as they do now).  If anything if Boesers camp used LE (which no way they would), JB could counter by comparing what he got after his entry deal ha ha.   

Once Point or Marner signs the rest will come like dominoes.  At least that’s what the media is saying and the GMs themselves - WNPs says signing their RFAs is like crawling through mud recently, I get the idea that overall none of them are impressed with the way things have changed.   Teams simply can’t afford to pay players like UFAs twice and it is going to have deep ramifications going forward.   Buffalo signing Eichel to such ridiculous money was because McDavid got he best deal in the NHL at the time....too bad it didn’t stop there.  Dubas did a terrible job with both Nylander and AM, and then AJ and Kapanen were given good bridge deals - go figure - even though technically both those guys could be or are better players then Nylander - which is an example of the problems signing RFAs with UFA type money creates internally, that and trying to assemble a balanced line-up with league minimums all over the place if you have a top heavy team like TO does.   AM might be the worst contract in the NHL right now for star quality players.   He can’t stay healthy yet is getting paid like a top five player league wide.   Maybe he’s the new Lemuiex and maybe that’s what Dubas thought after the huge but unsustainable GPG he started with last season, before once again he got injured ... it appears that Burke’s worst nightmare is happening and now that the Djini is out of the bottle there is no turning back - that is guys are now getting third contract money in two or three years before they’ve proved beyond a doubt that they actually earn it.  It’s not a great trend under the cap...teams won’t be able to add as much anymore and won’t be able to afford a balanced team with more then a select few star caliber guys.   The years of five or six stars on one team are all but over - sad really.   The next CBA they should really look at ways to contain this, it reminds me of the salary escalation that ended up causing the lock out, a missed season and the cap in the first place.   The only way I can think of curbing it is by installing an RFA cap.  

I’m sure that the NHLPA would be all over this too as the majority of the players are the group that’s taking the pay cut to make money available to the minority and average career lengths are getting smaller in favour of worse but cheaper ELC options available to teams.  Older vets with years of hockey left in them aren’t getting fourth contracts as often.   Id set it at around 60-70% of the leagues max salary for the years that are not UFA ones and any years that are part of those can be extended to 90% AND no front loading allowed, you get paid what each year is under the contract, so bigger salaries during UFA eligible years not what the average cap hit is.

Where the incentive now?  Players should be working hard at lower salaries so they can EARN their career contract which is supposed to be the UFA one.  Like all the average joes do - the Ferlands of the league. 

So in Marner and Points case they would get the max, and Boeser, Laine, MT and Conners salaries would be less comparatively.   If Point and Marner are getting 8, they’d be getting 5-6 right?  That’s about what all these guys would be getting five years ago and nobody would be complaining on either sides.  Blame McDavid - a little - blame Buffalo a LOT, same with TO.

Good post Ibatch 

• Thanks 1

On 8/7/2019 at 7:13 AM, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Context.

By that standard Goldobin is worth 6m+. Fortunately that's not how it works.

34 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I think points per season is a bit more important. 

If Boeser is to be removed from large strings of games on a regular basis, I might agree.  But despite some injuries so far, I expect to see a full(ish) season from him. And if/when that happens, I expect to see him score more points than Bo.

But we will see.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

If Boeser is to be removed from large strings of games on a regular basis, I might agree.  But despite some injuries so far, I expect to see a full(ish) season from him. And if/when that happens, I expect to see him score more points than Bo.

But we will see.

I’ve pointed out before... if you crunch the numbers Boeser’s already a 34 goal guy.  With that being said you could probably make a case that BB is comparable to Horvat as he puts up a few more points but Horvat plays a more important position.... what doesn’t help in all of that is the fact that Horvat is severely outplaying his contract. 

2 hours ago, kloubek said:

But we will see.

well he sure is give a better opportunity to play in every offensive situation than Bo with better linemates so yes it would be reasonable to expect that in a full ish season he would out score Bo.

Edited by hammertime

5 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

With that being said you could probably make a case that BB is comparable to Horvat as he puts up a few more points but Horvat plays a more important position.... what doesn’t help in all of that is the fact that Horvat is severely outplaying his contract. 

Horvat is such a complete player I have no trouble agreeing with all of this.  Unfortunately, scoring potential always gets the money it seems with the latest crop of forwards asking big money.

I would love to see Boeser sign a gentlemanly contract for us.  Heck - Dubas got two really good wingers signed to very cap friendly contracts. I am not suggesting Brock should go THAT low, but if he wants 4 years is 5.5 really THAT underpaid? The big bucks will come.