The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Boeser Camp Eyeing 4 Year Deal Worth $28M

1 hour ago, rekker said:

4 years times 7 per is the ask. I suspect the final number will be 4 years times something around 6.5 per. 

I would trade him if he is stuck on that number and term.  This is the contract we need to hold the line on as it is what will be setting us up for the internal salary structure for Petterson and Hughes.

Those are the dollars he should be getting on a long term deal.  4 or 5 years is also the worst possible term for the team and best for the player as it gives him all the leverage for the next contract.  The term is more important than the dollars.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 3
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Provost said:

I would trade him if he is stuck on that number and term.  This is the contract we need to hold the line on as it is what will be setting us up for the internal salary structure for Petterson and Hughes.

Those are the dollars he should be getting on a long term deal.  4 or 5 years is also the worst possible term for the team and best for the player as it gives him all the leverage for the next contract.

While I agree 

6 minutes ago, Provost said:

Those are the dollars he should be getting on a long term deal.  4 or 5 years is also the worst possible term for the team and best for the player as it gives him all the leverage for the next contract.

I am guessing JB is agreeing with you as there is no deal yet. 7 is to high but would be shocked if it comes in at 6 per over 4 years. That's why I think 6.5 will be the final number. It's a tough contract as the injuries have left the waters somewhat muddied. 

Honestly, I'd go the other direction if possible.  Make it an 8 year deal or even 7 years for more money.  If $7x4 is the ask, I'd make it $8.5x7 or even $9x8.  That leaves room to make Petey our top paid player at $10M in the future (which will likely be low in a few years time).  7 or 8 years also brings him to 29 or 30 years old.  Most players now start fading in production once they hit their 30s.

Brock might not be the best without the puck right now, but you can teach defence.  You can't teach what Brock does best... and that's scoring goals, and lots of them.

Edited by HKSR

7 minutes ago, YummyCakeFace said:

He’s not worth 7M.   6M is fair. Meier is a better player and he got 6. Boeser can’t stay healthy and seriously lacks in skating ability. 

Meier has had 1 good season under his belt.  He sucked in his first season, had a better 2nd season, but still not compared to his last season.  Meier's contract is also back loaded so he'll have to be qualified at over $10M per year!!!  Meier's contract actually kinda sucks unless Meier totally rips it up and becomes one of the top players in the league.

Brock has also been a good player in the NHL, even when he played the 9 games in his first "season", you could tell he would be a future impact player.  He's still only 22.

Sometimes you gotta roll the dice and pay for potential and lock it up quick.  Imagine if Colorado waited until Mac was a 'better player' before rewarding him with a contract?  His cap hit would likely be 50-75% higher than it is now.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Those are the dollars he should be getting on a long term deal.  4 or 5 years is also the worst possible term for the team and best for the player as it gives him all the leverage for the next contract.  The term is more important than the dollars.

Agreed completely, grant even remotely earned that deal and once signed that's the floor, he'll just keep going up, regardless of his production.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Meier has had 1 good season under his belt.  He sucked in his first season, had a better 2nd season, but still not compared to his last season.  Meier's contract is also back loaded so he'll have to be qualified at over $10M per year!!!  Meier's contract actually kinda sucks unless Meier totally rips it up and becomes one of the top players in the league.

Brock has also been a good player in the NHL, even when he played the 9 games in his first "season", you could tell he would be a future impact player.  He's still only 22.

Sometimes you gotta roll the dice and pay for potential and lock it up quick.  Imagine if Colorado waited until Mac was a 'better player' before rewarding him with a contract?  His cap hit would likely be 50-75% higher than it is now.

Meier is a better overall player than BB

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Honestly, I'd go the other direction if possible.  Make it an 8 year deal or even 7 years for more money.  If $7x4 is the ask, I'd make it $8.5x7 or even $9x8.  That leaves room to make Petey our top paid player at $10M in the future (which will likely be low in a few years time).  7 or 8 years also brings him to 29 or 30 years old.  Most players now start fading in production once they hit their 30s.

Brock might not be the best without the puck right now, but you can teach defence.  You can't teach what Brock does best... and that's scoring goals, and lots of them.

That would be an absolute awful deal on a player who's career path is still very unknown.  He could very easily plateau at 25-30 goals per season, then you're stuck with that boat anchor of a contract.

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, HKSR said:

lol.. Meier's sucked first season..? May be because he was a 19 year old rookie? Did you watch how Meier drives the net during the Shark's playoffs? He is better than Boeser if we are talking about last season. 

7 is a little much at the moment considering Boeser’s game is heavily reliant on his shot. He’s a subpar skater with average hands and has a lot to learn defensively. I like him and I think he’s crucial to the Canucks success the next few years with his ability to score but I hope he signs for less than 7 per. 

• Upvote 2

I think JB set a good precident with the Horvat contract. It might have taken until the end of August, but I think it was widely considered a fair deal for both sides at the time. Now, in retrospect, it looks quite team friendly.

But that's what we should be shooting for, the 'fair' deals, not short changing anyone. I think that number is in the 6.5 neighborhood for Brock.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Provost said:

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Agreed completely, grant even remotely earned that deal and once signed that's the floor, he'll just keep going up, regardless of his production.

I couldn't agree more. This is very much an act of managing assets for the future good of the team. Every player coming into the league now wants 10 mill after a couple of good seasons.        That's fine if the cap is at $120 million but it's not and teams, as we are all now witnessing, are being seriously hamstrung. If this trend continues, and GMs keep paying, there are going to be a ton of $6 million dollar players available for $5 mill. and those would be some kick-arse balanced hard to play against lines...

Edited by justathought

7 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

I think JB set a good precident with the Horvat contract. It might have taken until the end of August, but I think it was widely considered a fair deal for both sides at the time. Now, in retrospect, it looks quite team friendly.

But that's what we should be shooting for, the 'fair' deals, not short changing anyone. I think that number is in the 6.5 neighborhood for Brock.

My take is you go with the guys who see the bigger picture and sign deals that give them a good salary, but also ensure that you help the team stay competitive long term.  Teams that ride on the shoulders of young, highly paid players have short windows and they don't win Cups.  Keep the guys who put team first and trade the ones who don't see the bigger picture for big returns.

• Wat 1

Should be 4yrs at 6-6.5M/year.  The bar has been set at Meier (back loaded contract).  7M is a bit too much given Canucks cap crunch (especially on a bridge type deal).

If sides cannot agree, I'm not opposed to trading Brock.  Generally I believe top dollars should be spent on #1 and #2 C.

For sht and giggles...

To EDM: Boeser + Goldy

Reason: Wingers to play with McDavid and LD.

To VAN: RNH + Puljujarvi + Bouchard

Reason: RNH gives depth at about same current point production as Brock (albeit probably plateau), Bouchard a top RH D prospect, and JP is like Goldy (unfulfilled potential).

Winner: EDM cuz they get the best player in the deal as it currently stands.

PS:  I tried to swing in LE into the deal but couldn't really make the numbers work and LE would probably nix the trade anyways.

:P

• Wat 2

2 hours ago, Provost said:

4 year term is best for player and team, doesn't give him all the leverage as he would still be an RFA at the end of the deal. If they cannot come to agreement on contract they'll have an arbitrator decide. By asking for 4 years it would make me believe the player is interested in being here long term, if he wasn't and wanted all the power he would ask for 5 to take him through to UFA where he can command whatever the market place thinks he is worth. We all know how GM's like to over pay for UFA's

7 minutes ago, BPA said:

Should be 4yrs at 6-6.5M/year.  The bar has been set at Meier (back loaded contract).  7M is a bit too much given Canucks cap crunch (especially on a bridge type deal).

If sides cannot agree, I'm not opposed to trading Brock.  Generally I believe top dollars should be spent on #1 and #2 C.

For sht and giggles...

To EDM: Boeser + Goldy

Reason: Wingers to play with McDavid and LD.

To VAN: RNH + Puljujarvi + Bouchard

Reason: RNH gives depth at about same current point production as Brock (albeit probably plateau), Bouchard a top RH D prospect, and JP is like Goldy (unfulfilled potential).

Winner: EDM cuz they get the best player in the deal as it currently stands.

PS:  I tried to swing in LE into the deal but couldn't really make the numbers work and LE would probably nix the trade anyways.

:P

if it were me, anything beyond $5.5 over 2-3 years would be a ticket out of town for a King's ransom.  He'd get a first and a young(ish) top 4 dman, imo.

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

if it were me, anything beyond $5.5 over 2-3 years would be a ticket out of town for a King's ransom.  He'd get a first and a young(ish) top 4 dman, imo.

As mentioned, the bar has been set with Meier contract signing.  As for the compensation...for sure.  But Canucks are gunning for the playoffs...so they would need some players.

2 minutes ago, BPA said:

As mentioned, the bar has been set with Meier contract signing.  As for the compensation...for sure.  But Canucks are gunning for the playoffs...so they would need some players.

a young(ish) top 4 dman fills a pretty big hole and makes a guy likeTanev expendable for a BB replacement.

Edited by stawns