The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Boeser Camp Eyeing 4 Year Deal Worth $28M

I am comfortable with a 7 million dollar a year contract for 4 years as long as it's not a back-loaded contract. Gives us the flexibility to negotiate a reasonable extension and at worst, we qualify him at the 7 million number and try to trade him over the next year if it just doesn't work out numbers-wise. He will have incredible value at that point in a trade. If he's willing to take less annually (around 6.5 a season), then I'd be comfortable with the last year being around 8 million to qualify him. In the first scenario, he pretty locks in 35 million if qualify for the extra year. In the second scenario, he would net 34 million with the qualified year, but sets himself up for a better follow up contract.

2 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I am comfortable with a 7 million dollar a year contract for 4 years as long as it's not a back-loaded contract. Gives us the flexibility to negotiate a reasonable extension and at worst, we qualify him at the 7 million number and try to trade him over the next year if it just doesn't work out numbers-wise. He will have incredible value at that point in a trade. If he's willing to take less annually (around 6.5 a season), then I'd be comfortable with the last year being around 8 million to qualify him. In the first scenario, he pretty locks in 35 million if qualify for the extra year. In the second scenario, he would net 34 million with the qualified year, but sets himself up for a better follow up contract.

his value will be next to nothing with that contract if he doesn't hit 35-40 goals.

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

his value will be next to nothing with that contract if he doesn't hit 35-40 goals.

Buffalo valued 40 goals to be 9 million for 8 years. I think 7-8 million at that point even at 30 goals will be high value.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Buffalo valued 40 goals to be 9 million for 8 years. I think 7-8 million at that point even at 30 goals will be high value.

a 27 year UFA who has been a consistent scorer almost his entire career........when Boeser does that, then he's in the ballpark.  That said, Skinner and Eichel's contracts and the inevitable mega contract of Dahlin pretty much ensure that Buffalo won't be winning a Cup any time soon.

Just now, stawns said:

a 27 year UFA who has been a consistent scorer almost his entire career........when Boeser does that, then he's in the ballpark.  That said, Skinner and Eichel's contracts and the inevitable mega contract of Dahlin pretty much ensure that Buffalo won't be winning a Cup any time soon.

Boeser was on pace for 38 goals his 1st season and 30 in his 2nd season. I'm comfortable believing he can be a consistent 30 goal scorer over the next 4 seasons. Keep in mind Skinner's career high in points is 63 and Boeser has already got 55 and 56 point seasons in shortened years. So on top of decent goal scoring, he's got underrated playmaking as well and will likely be a 70 point guy at his current level with no expectation to improve much further. I know Boeser needs to prove himself a bit more which is why he would sign a bridge, but given what we do know, statistically he's around a 7 million dollar player in today's market but the main improvement is just to stay healthy. If he remains the player that he is now and stays consistent, then he simply gets an extension with a moderate raise. If he finds another level, then he will be paid well. You're not going to find many teams that have 1st liners making less than 7 million these days with his production.

I'm not saying Skinner is worth his contract, far from it, but just demonstrating that if it comes to it, there will be a market for him should we not be able to afford him beyond the 4-5 years giving him good value in a trade. The cap is only going to go up and teams love to add a proven top 6 player.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Drakrami said:

lol.. Meier's sucked first season..? May be because he was a 19 year old rookie? Did you watch how Meier drives the net during the Shark's playoffs? He is better than Boeser if we are talking about last season. 

Uh yes... his first season sucked.  Virtanen drives the net too, does that mean his production didn't suck?  Meier looked great last season... but that was the first time he has produced that way. 

38 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Uh yes... his first season sucked.  Virtanen drives the net too, does that mean his production didn't suck?  Meier looked great last season... but that was the first time he has produced that way. 

The Sharks think he's just getting started.  Wilson said they drafted Meier because he has that hunger to always improve his game.  He also started slow in the Q.  DeBoer says you can't measure his impact on the scoresheet.

In his 1st season DeBoer talked of his poor shot selection and how he had to learn how to get to the net.  Pavelski reminisced of how he killed offensive momentum because he was shooting at every opportunity when it's not always the smart option.  Many were calling him a bust.     

DeBoer talked of how they developed him the right way by demoting him to the AHL each time he struggled.  He started in the bottom-6 and had to earn his way up.  He's not even on the 1st PP unit.  With Pavelski gone he should get more opportunity.  

DeBoer also believes that power forwards take longer:  “I think power forwards take longer, especially physical guys. The way he plays, he throws his body around. Those guys take a little longer to have success at the NHL level, learning how to use that physicality and still use their skill.

“... Now he’s arrived, and he’s the real deal.”

25 minutes ago, mll said:

The Sharks think he's just getting started.  Wilson said they drafted Meier because he has that hunger to always improve his game.  He also started slow in the Q.  DeBoer says you can't measure his impact on the scoresheet.

In his 1st season DeBoer talked of his poor shot selection and how he had to learn how to get to the net.  Pavelski reminisced of how he killed offensive momentum because he was shooting at every opportunity when it's not always the smart option.  Many were calling him a bust.     

DeBoer talked of how they developed him the right way by demoting him to the AHL each time he struggled.  He started in the bottom-6 and had to earn his way up.  He's not even on the 1st PP unit.  With Pavelski gone he should get more opportunity.  

DeBoer also believes that power forwards take longer:  “I think power forwards take longer, especially physical guys. The way he plays, he throws his body around. Those guys take a little longer to have success at the NHL level, learning how to use that physicality and still use their skill.

“... Now he’s arrived, and he’s the real deal.”

And Boeser is just getting started.  He's only 22!  And in his first 'full season' was on pace for nearly 40 goals, and pacing for nearly 30 last year too. 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Always interesting how posters on here will pump up other teams players and make excuses for them, yet when it comes to our players are quick to criticize and try and pick apart their games.

The only opinions that matter in this are Benning and Boesers agent. How about instead of pointing out reasons why Brock should get less just hope that both sides reach an agreement that’s fair?

Exactly this.  Imagine a 22 year old player that was on pace for nearly 40 goals in his first full season, and followed up with a 'sophomore jinx' year of pacing nearly 30 goals and think of how many CDCers would be clamoring to give up the farm for him as well as $8 - $9m per year.  Then make that player a Canuck and all of a sudden they want to pay him $6m to $6.5m per year.  Where's the logic??

Just now, HKSR said:

And Boeser is just getting started.  He's only 22!  And in his first 'full season' was on pace for nearly 40 goals, and pacing for nearly 30 last year too. 

Wasn't commenting on Boeser but that's true too.  

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Exactly this.  Imagine a 22 year old player that was on pace for nearly 40 goals in his first full season, and followed up with a 'sophomore jinx' year of pacing nearly 30 goals and think of how many CDCers would be clamoring to give up the farm for him as well as $8 - $9m per year.  Then make that player a Canuck and all of a sudden they want to pay him $6m to $6.5m per year.  Where's the logic??

No idea.

It seems like some people think Benning comes on here and reads their comments.

Like I’m sure he was thinking of giving Boeser 7.5 mil until he came on CDC and read a comment about his poor skating and playmaking ability. Good thing that random poster brought him up to speed. Now he’ll change his offer to 5 mil a season for sure.

You would think this team has had an abundance of young star players over the last decade. People throwing out ideas like “well if Boeser wants 7.5 mil, we should trade him”. It’s absolutely ridiculous.

Boeser has earned 7 mil based on his performance. I just hope we can lock him in long term at that number. But if it’s only 4 years that works too. More time to prove himself.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, stawns said:

Meier is a better overall player than BB

It's not even close. I was listening to this analytics guy on TSN I think. In some metrics Meier  is better than Marner at creating scoring chances. 

There is no way you pay BB more than Meier on 4 year deal. Meier is a power forward plays a much much better over all game than BB. 

I wouldn't go as far to trade him. Not yet. But there is no way BB gets 4 years @ 7 mill per. I'd let him sit. And if he's not signed 1 month onto season I let him sit the whole season.  Not bring him back late like Nylander when he won't be in gopd enough shape to play against mid season form NHL players. 

7 yrs 7 mill max. Or a bit under. Sign or sit. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Personally I’d rather do a 3x7 than a 4x7 but I understand that’s easier said than done. But just the way the other contracts in the team are structured, I think a 3 years deal benefits both sides. Boeser could get a 7 year x 10 million per year after a 3 year expires if he gets 40 goals one year. And the Canucks have 12 million coming off the books in eriksson, Roussell and Beagle that season, so they could easily afford to do it

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Always interesting how posters on here will pump up other teams players and make excuses for them, yet when it comes to our players are quick to criticize and try and pick apart their games.

The only opinions that matter in this are Benning and Boesers agent. How about instead of pointing out reasons why Brock should get less just hope that both sides reach an agreement that’s fair?

Always interesting so many posters on here never watch out of market games. They pretend to know who Meier is and how he plays but truthfully have no clue.

Anyone who thinks BB is better than Meier is either lying to them selves as a homer or just watches Canucks and has no clue about Timo Meiers game. 

You have a 200 ft two way power forward with a huge motor. Plays defense and puts up offense. 

Pretty much what Pod hopefully develops into one day. BB is so far a one dimensional player with a lethal shot. 

Meier is better at all aspects of hockey except the wrist shot. 

Meier is only 4 months older than BB but much much more of a complete player. 

The closer you squint at Meier, the more impressive he looks. Among 365 forwards who played 500 or more minutes at 5-on-5 this past season, he ranked 15th in Corsi For per 60 minutes and overall Corsi. He was 11th in team scoring chances per 60 and 10thin team high-danger chances for per 60. He was fifth in the NHL in individual shots per 60 minutes and second in individual scoring chances for per 60 minutes. He’s still just 22, and he’s blossoming into one of the league’s best young power forwards

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Always interesting so many posters on here never watch out of market games. They pretend to know who Meier is and how he plays but truthfully have no clue.

Anyone who thinks BB is better than Meier is either lying to them selves as a homer or just watches Canucks and has no clue about Timo Meiers game. 

You have a 200 ft two way power forward with a huge motor. Plays defense and puts up offense. 

Pretty much what Pod hopefully develops into one day. BB is so far a one dimensional player with a lethal shot. 

Meier is a really good player.  I’d say Bess should fall in close to him.  Maybe a bit more because of the goal scoring potential.  Isn’t Meier’s deal weird, and that lowers his cap?  

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Maybe you should stop watching all those out of market games and actually start paying attention to our own players like Boeser. He is a star and he is just getting started. Stop downplaying him because you don't want to see him get paid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

It's not even close. I was listening to this analytics guy on TSN I think. In some metrics Meier  is better than Marner at creating scoring chances. 

There is no way you pay BB more than Meier on 4 year deal. Meier is a power forward plays a much much better over all game than BB. 

I wouldn't go as far to trade him. Not yet. But there is no way BB gets 4 years @ 7 mill per. I'd let him sit. And if he's not signed 1 month onto season I let him sit the whole season.  Not bring him back late like Nylander when he won't be in gopd enough shape to play against mid season form NHL players. 

7 yrs 7 mill max. Or a bit under. Sign or sit. 

Why did Meier sign for less than Princess Nylander?