The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Boeser Camp Eyeing 4 Year Deal Worth $28M

3 minutes ago, mll said:

If they use LTIR they will have to make an in-season trade anyway to re-activate Roussel.  LTIR limits flexibility.

LTIR typically forces to carry over performance bonuses (Pettersson/Hughes) to the following season unless they make a trade at some point and it probably won't allow to recall players like Juolevi or Gaudette who have performance bonuses on their contracts as long as LTIR is in use.

Dallas last season had for 12M in roster players out injured long term - Stephen Johns missed all season, Hanzal and Methot did not play past December.  They have a bonus overage of over 900K on their books this season.  Per Shapiro they were also unable to recall Guarinov with LTIR in use because his ELC had performance bonuses and the cap space created through LTIR couldn't cover them. 

Fwiw Fletcher in Minnesota was aiming for 2M in cap space to allow for recalls during the season. They never managed and had to yo-yo players up and down from the AHL on game day - recalled at 5pm sent back down right after the game because of their lack of cap space to deal with injuries.

They may have enough to sign Brock even without the LTIR.  But even if they have to use it like you said they will need to make a trade to bring Roussel back on the roster.  I'm sure Benning has a plan.  You can trade, Baertschi, Leivo, Sutter, etc.  You can even keep 14 forwards and put Biega on waivers.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Couple comments about Dumba:

He is a small defenseman... 6' 0" and 183 lbs.

Plays a physical game above his weight class... and is starting to pay the price.

Got injured badly last year trying to fight and hit guys who were bigger than him.  Missed more than half the season, only played 32 games in the season, none after the injury.

I personally think there is no question he is a skilled defenseman and a valuable point getter... but his playing style may not give him a long career.

They said the same about Bieksa

2 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Couple comments about Dumba:

He is a small defenseman... 6' 0" and 183 lbs.

Plays a physical game above his weight class... and is starting to pay the price.

Got injured badly last year trying to fight and hit guys who were bigger than him.  Missed more than half the season, only played 32 games in the season, none after the injury.

I personally think there is no question he is a skilled defenseman and a valuable point getter... but his playing style may not give him a long career.

Bingo.  Great analysis.  The way he plays he may not last his current contract.  He's not even 200 pounds soaking wet.

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes Dumba was on pace for over 50 points last year.  And Boeser was also on pace for almost 40 goals in his rookie season.  What did Dumba do in his first 2 years in the NHL?They both were injured last year so you can't say one would have hit their target and the other wouldn't as nobody knows.  Boeser has 3 years on Dumba to get to his 40 goal potential.  If he does I'm not trading a 40 goal scorer for Matt Dumba.  Dumba may be a top pairing on Minnesota but other than Bill Guerin nobody else thinks their defense is elite.

Their top-4 is one of the best in the league.  With all 4 healthy - they had a 200pt D-corps in 2017/18.  Canucks had 135pts from their Ds last season.

Minnesota was the team that allowed the least shots against from the inner slot last season per SportlogIQ's video tracking software.  They were also the team that allowed the least mid-to-high scoring chances against per MSG' Valiquette tracking company.    They are good defensively.  

With Dumba injured they played far too much defence though.   He helps their transition game and knows how to make plays to keep the puck in the offensive zone.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mll said:

Their top-4 is one of the best in the league.  With all 4 healthy - they had a 200pt D-corps in 2017/18.  Canucks had 135pts from their Ds last season.

Minnesota was the team that allowed the least shots against from the inner slot last season per SportlogIQ's video tracking software.  They were also the team that allowed the least mid-to-high scoring chances against per MSG' Valiquette tracking company.    They are good defensively.  

With Dumba injured they played far too much defence though.   He helps their transition game and knows how to make plays to keep the puck in the offensive zone.  

The team as a whole may be very good defensively but Jonas Brodin is not in the top echelon of defencemen in the league.

Canucks already have a small skilled defenseman in Hughes.  (they also have Stecher)

They don't need another in Dumba... who also probably has injury issues.

Better to sign Boeser... we need the goals he can provide.

Now if it was the Blues and Colton Parayko that was being offered for Boeser, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

Nothing like a 26 yr old, 6' 6" 230 lbs and solid 35 pt seasons.  B)

Edited by *Buzzsaw*
  • Upvote 1

Just now, *Buzzsaw* said:

Canucks already have a small skilled defenseman in Hughes.  (they also have Stecher)

They don't need another.

Better to sign Boeser... we need the goals he can provide.

Now if it was the Blues and Colton Parayko that was being offered for Boeser, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

Nothing like 6' 6" 230 lbs and solid 35 pt seasons.  B)

Parayko is one of my favourite players in the league.  Great guy off the ice too.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mll said:

Guerin talks of how they have one of the best top-4 in the league with Dumba healthy.  He points out how Dumba was still leading the league in D goal-scoring 1.5 month into his injury. Why would they dismantle their D-corps for a winger?  Their season fell apart once he got injured.  They believe that he's the key reason they missed the playoffs.  

Who really is concerned with what Guerin says?  And no disrespect intended.  Any GM will add their teams spin.  Never mind that Guerin is new, adrenelinehigh of being hired.  Even Benning was caught out on some of his early days statements / decisions; Sutter = Foundational.

Minnesota does have one of the best top 4 D's in the league.  But don't have any effective depth behind it on D, nor prospect strength.  It would be also completely pragmatic to NOT trade Dumba for Boeser. Then talk his guy up, his team up.

It is reality he has no depth to trade Dumba.  It would signal a rebuild. A strip down & live with results, to get Boeser. One his owner is not willing to accept. One many pundits believe, like they did the Caucks 3 years ago, should embrace. But it won't happen.

And its exactly that lack of depth? As well as some of the veteran contracts holding them back. A mistaken sense the team owes them something. Its actually strikingly like us 3 & 4 years ago. More so than Dumba himself getting injured that derailed their season.

Patteryn & Seeler are, just my opinion, good 7th & 8th D men.  3rd Pair? :huh: Now that's pushing it.

2knd pair if someone is hurt??? Someone always gets hurt!

Eeeeewwww!  Just butt awful!

6 minutes ago, mll said:

As per my comments above; Just 4 guys in a team of 23.   Yes an excellent top 4.  No not a good team.

42 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The team as a whole may be very good defensively but Jonas Brodin is not in the top echelon of defencemen in the league.

Brodin is fine as 2nd pairing D - not much offence.

Suter is still one of the best Ds in the league. Spurgeon is also a legit 1st pairing D.  Boudreau calls him a right-side Suter.  Boudreau was very skeptical of Spurgeon when he took over the Wild. He changed his mind in a hurry watching him play.  Last week he was again talking of how Spurgeon protects every D he plays with.  He is that good and still very underrated.  Although based on the comments gathered by Russo across the league he's going to have a lot of suitors should he reach free agency next year.

It's also why Dumba is so critical for the Wild.  They don't know that they can keep Spurgeon and they don't have any top-4 D coming up on the right side in the near future.    

Edited by mll

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

It’s good value for sure, that being said that 1st is far from a guarantee. Could be around the 20-25 pick which does nothing for us now.

Dumba would be a good addition no doubt, but this team would struggle to score goals no question. 

I don’t understand this need to trade our best young guys for other teams players. Brock is a Canuck. The goal should be to build around guys like him, not ship them out as soon as they’re due for a payday.

totally agree. I do think these exercises of figuring out what a guy would be worth in a trade can help to appreciate what you've got, as long as they stay theoretical and people don't go nutty over it. Its why I stay away from twitter conversations. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mll said:

Guerin talks of how they have one of the best top-4 in the league with Dumba healthy.  He points out how Dumba was still leading the league in D goal-scoring 1.5 month into his injury. Why would they dismantle their D-corps for a winger?  Their season fell apart once he got injured.  They believe that he's the key reason they missed the playoffs.  

depends what else is going on, and how they want to build the team moving forward, who else is in the pipeline,etc. Boeser would be a marketing dream for them too. I'm not advocating for it, just looking at what equivalent value might be. 

3 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Trade talk is way too early. 

Try to get Boeser signed long term to good deal. If he holds out start thinking trade after mid November. 

I don't think it'll get that far. I think a deal will get done. 

Imo, Boeser will be the odd man out eventually anyway.  So if his demands are out of scope now, they might as well listen if the deals are there.

• Cheers 3

I take back what I said about trading Boeser for Parayko.  (won't happen anyway, he is one of the Blue's twin towers and a foundation for them)

Canucks need scoring, they need Boeser.

I think Benning will do everything he can to get the deal done.  He'll do a four year deal if he has to.

Unless Boeser and his agent are in LaLaLand, they will sign.

3 hours ago, BlueDragon23 said:

Actually if I recall, he said Edler was going to test free agency. And we saw how that turned out.

I don’t trust his credibility but To each their own I suppose. 

Of course Edler's camp is going to say that. It's a negotiating tactic. Whether or not Edler actually makes it to free agency has nothing to do with Rick Dhaliwal. Sometimes you have the scoop, sometimes you're a pawn for another GM/agent. Your favorite sports insider isn't 100% accurate. GMs are constantly going back forth exchanging information. Dhaliwal gives us a tiny little piece of that. Be grateful.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

We still lose here.  The team getting the best player wins the trade.  Boeser is BY FAR the best player in this trade.  JB is too smart to make a deal like this. 

My dude. I'd give Benning a Rick Dipietro extension if he pulled that trade off.

• Cheers 1