The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Boeser Camp Eyeing 4 Year Deal Worth $28M

11 minutes ago, st33 said:

Basing any contract off ppg is a dangerous gamble. Honestly Brock needs to sign a reasonable bridge contract and cash in when he's a Ufa. He has a golden opportunity playing with ep40 to make bank. 

Let's not forget after his wrist injury he had no shot at all. He actually looked sluggish and played pretty poorly. I'm not going to knock him for getting injured but that is the reality.

Yeah I don't recall seeing him taking any those beauty slapshots this past year like he was doing in his first full season. Hopefully, that was just a temporary measure to let it heal properly - I really want to see him laying into those one-timers again!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, riffraff said:

Too high imo and I love the kid.

4x6. And I don’t doubt JB has it at 5.5

I'd be happy with 4x6 or 6.5 and so should Boeser. He'll cash in big in 4 years and if hes not happy he can go to arbitration. He kind of owes us one for burning a year on his ELC to play those 9 games

• Cheers 3

There's no way Boeser gets any less than 6. You just can't justify it unless Eriksson outright gets cut. They play the same position and one of them isn't doing his job like he's supposed to. You can't tell Boeser he deserves less than 6 million per year when all he has to do is look down the bench and see someone coasting thru his fat contract which NO TEAM wants to touch. The number will have to be 7. Line him up long term at that number. He's a core piece to this club. Just do it. He's only gonna get better.

Edited by Noseforthenet

7.5 million cap hit for 6 years is the ideal, which is a total of $45 million over 6 years. Structure it the following way (or similar):

Year 1: $ 8 million = $7 million signing bonus + $1 million base salary

Year 2: $ 10 million = $9 million signing bonus + $1 million base salary

Year 3: $ 11 million = $9.5 million signing bonus + $1.5 million base salary

Year 4: $ 5 million = $4 million signing bonus + $1 million base salary

Year 5: $ 5 million = $3 million signing bonus + $2 million base salary

Year 6: $ 6 million = $5 million signing bonus + $1 million base salary

This is a front loaded, bonus heavy structured contract. In this structured contract, Boeser would imediately receive his $7 million in signing bonuses. This could definitely help out his family's immediate at the current situation. By July 1st of 2020, Boeser would have already accumulated $17 million. $17 million received over the next 12 months period. 

Boeser will become a UFA at the age of 28, and there is still a good chance he can cash-in on a big contract, especially if he gets to play with Pettersson and rack up a lot of goals over his 6 years here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, riffraff said:

Too high imo and I love the kid.

4x6. And I don’t doubt JB has it at 5.5

Horvat makes 5.5. I can't see Boeser not making more than Horvat given how much better his offense is. and offense makes money.

8 minutes ago, Noseforthenet said:

There's no way Boeser gets any less than 6. You just can't justify it unless Eriksson outright gets cut. They play the same position and one of them isn't doing his job like he's supposed to. You can't tell Boeser he deserves less than 6 million per year when all he has to do is look down the bench and see someone coasting thru his fat contract which NO TEAM wants to touch. The number will have to be 7. Line him up long term at that number. He's a core piece to this club. Just do it. He's only gonna get better.

According to Sekeres on 1040, Benning offered 6 years 42 million (7 million AAV) and Boeser's agent said no.

Whether the Boeser camp wants more money, or less years, we don't know.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Brock Boeser is worth a 6 year $7.25 million deal at the cheapest.  That is the market value. 

Nylander signed a 6 year deal 1 year ago and was awards 6.9 million, Brock Boeser is better that Nylander. 

Nylander in his first 3 years (185 games) put up 48 goals and 135 points (.73p/gp).

Brock in his first 3 years (140 games) put up 59 goals and 116 points (.83p/gp)

Meier in his first 3 years (193 games) put up 54 goals and 108 points (.56p/gp).  He hasda solid campaign last year putting up .85 p/gp, slightly higher than brocks .81p/gp last season.  That campaign earned him a 4 year deal.  His cap hit is 6 million but he structured his deal to value his 5th year and beyond has to be qualified more 10 + million bringing his 6 year value to 7.33 million. 

Another comparable is Johnny Gaudreau.  This is the most accurate comparable as he was also 10.2(c ) player.  He was also brought up after his college ended just so that he could write off a season and get paid earlier.  Gaudreau in his first 3 years (160 games) put up 55 goals and 143 points (.89p/gp).

Johnny inked a 6 year deal for 6.75 three years ago when the cap was only 73million.  The cap has risen just over 12% in the last 3 years, if we are to inflate Johnny’s 2016 contract into 2019 value that same contract is worth 7.56mill per year.  As Brock has slightly less production and a few injury question marks it would reasonable take off 250k per year (1.5 million over term). Bringing Brock’s 6 year market value to 7.25 mill.  That is the bar, and it’s why he likely did reject the previous offer of 6 year 42 million. 

Interesting take. Straight points per game = $$$'s?  I'm sure Boeser's agent argues it, but so to does Meiers agent argue attributes on offer...

My own take is;

Boeser > greater than Nylander.  But not by significant margins. And in my look, I saw the back to back 60 points + points for being a centre.. Which Brock has not achieved. Added to my conclusion Nylander was IMO overpaid.  In comparison I saw $6 x 7mill as fair.

Boeser > than Meier. Also not by significant margins. Position flexibility & physicality being Meier advantages.  I did not have a problem being over 4 x $6 mill? Did not like the huge qualifying salary on the last year of Meier's deal.  Would rather pay a higher AAV than accept that clause.

Boeser = Gaudreau?  I don't buy that. Not yet anyway.  Mini stick of dybamite, some flaws.  But he makes that team tick. Scores, passes, creates & drives tempo. Helps the team accomplish its game style! Not sure I would quibble too much on the figure you came up with though; 6 x $7.25 mill. Maybe Gaudreau was underpaid?  What is a 1/4 mill between friends? 

edit > thanks for the reply!

Edited by Canuck Surfer
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 3

5 hours ago, st33 said:

Basing any contract off ppg is a dangerous gamble. Honestly Brock needs to sign a reasonable bridge contract and cash in when he's a Ufa. He has a golden opportunity playing with ep40 to make bank. 

Let's not forget after his wrist injury he had no shot at all. He actually looked sluggish and played pretty poorly. I'm not going to knock him for getting injured but that is the reality.

That’s an archaic way of thinking for the top end players. Most know that they’ll be lucky to have a 10 year career now and not many make it till 34/35 anymore. They know they have to cash in after their ELC because once they hit 30 years old, teams are only going to offer them 1-2 year deals in most cases. 

1 hour ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Horvat makes 5.5. I can't see Boeser not making more than Horvat given how much better his offense is. and offense makes money.

According to Sekeres on 1040, Benning offered 6 years 42 million (7 million AAV) and Boeser's agent said no.

Whether the Boeser camp wants more money, or less years, we don't know.

Personally I can see that. Market value on these guys is 8-10 based on average now. With the league trending younger and faster, these guys only have 1 contract opportunity to cash in big.

5 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

That’s an archaic way of thinking for the top end players. Most know that they’ll be lucky to have a 10 year career now and not many make it till 34/35 anymore. They know they have to cash in after their ELC because once they hit 30 years old, teams are only going to offer them 1-2 year deals in most cases. 

That's a pessimistic way of thinking. He's only 22, 4 years he's 26. He's not even close to the end of his career after this next contract and most players if they start as young as they do now will have more than a 10 year career unless there's some unfortunate injury.

26, ufa, sign a 8 year deal then for big money to get them to the end of their career... Sign 1-2 year deals after that, laughing all the way to the bank.

As much as Brock is a key piece here, you do have to take off the rose colored glasses, he's not an elite top player in this league. 1 dimensional that has been injury plagued to start with. 55 pt player. That's the number. Potential can only boost your value so far, and his injury last year was visible in his game. If he didn't play alongside ep40 would he be reaching these numbers? Hard to say.

He needs to pull an Anson Carter and ride the gravy train for a payout.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Noseforthenet said:

You can justify it easily. Eriksson sucked after his contract was signed. So the fact Eriksson sucks now has no bearing on contract negotiations. He was a 30 goal scorer when he was offered his contract. Boeser hasn't hit 30 goals yet. If not for health he'd have hit it twice, sure, but that's just more ammo for the team. We are unsure of your health.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Dhaliwal becoming dreger 2.0 with making s$1& up. 

I actually believe that to Dreger analogy be accurate except instead of being used by the team Dhaliwal is used by the players agent.   

Dhaliwal used to be fairly close, cautious and in the know = Credible. 

It now appears he is just like Dreger - a pawn who is fed misinformation to propagate a specific agenda - by the players agents = A TOOL. 

This plus when did he start the yelling schtick like he's Don Cherry.  He gets on my nerves and I don't consider him an accurate source in my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Noseforthenet said:

Why can't he get less than 6?  He's a 55ish point guy who has yet to play a full season.......you really think that is worth $6m+?

People rake Dumbass over the coals for Nylander's contract as a huge overpayment, but he's a better player, with better numbers than Boeser.

Edited by stawns
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, stawns said:

Why can't he get less than 6?  He's a 55ish point guy who has yet to play a full season.......you really think that is worth $6m+?

People rake Dumbass over the coals for Nylander's contract as a huge overpayment, but he's a better player, with better numbers than Boeser.

Princess Nylander is NOT even close to 

Boeser.  Boeser scores more, and commits to a complete game.

We will never see Boeser do the Wee Willie Double Flamingo!

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Listening to radio.

Dhaliwal is quickly becoming the Dreger of Vancouver. 

Starting to become anoying. 

Ya he's really gone downhill. He started as one of the better sources but now is total clickbait. I get it...you need to be to make it but for the fans who don't feed off drama its tiring. 

• Upvote 1