The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[REQUEST] Alexander Mogilny

1 hour ago, TheCerebral1 said:

If it's possible can someone make a Mogilny signature in both Canucks and Sabres jersey's.  He's my favorite all around player.  Slightly over Jagr and Naslund. 

I still remember him arriving in the Buffalo airport after defecting from the Soviet Union.  I also still remember how exciting it was watching him score 76 goals while being partnered with LaFontaine.

Unfortunately once he got good, he became a bit high maintenance and a bit of a prima donna.  Sadly I think that's one of the things keeping him from being voted into the HHOF.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SabreFan1 said:

I still remember him arriving in the Buffalo airport after defecting from the Soviet Union.  I also still remember how exciting it was watching him score 76 goals while being partnered with LaFontaine.

Unfortunately once he got good, he became a bit high maintenance and a bit of a prima donna.  Sadly I think that's one of the things keeping him from being voted into the HHOF.

He just was immature for his age at the time.  Seemed to "fit in" well with Jacques Lemaire in New Jersey oddly enough.  Was more than just a guy that could score a ton of goals.  Ahh.....LaFontaine.   I remember his lines often with the Sabres....the "famous" helicopter line (eg., no wings :P).  Elite player (LaFontaine) even with two plumbers on his line.

Pat Quinn paid a hefty price to get him from you guys (ie., Peca & Mike Wilson?).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

45 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

He just was immature for his age at the time.  Seemed to "fit in" well with Jacques Lemaire in New Jersey oddly enough.  Was more than just a guy that could score a ton of goals.  Ahh.....LaFontaine.   I remember his lines often with the Sabres....the "famous" helicopter line (eg., no wings :P).  Elite player (LaFontaine) even with two plumbers on his line.

Pat Quinn paid a hefty price to get him from you guys (ie., Peca & Mike Wilson?).

The Sabres traded LaFontaine to the Rangers for a 2nd round pick.  By then, he was hanging on by a thread to his career.  Concussions finally caught up to him after a season with the Rangers and he retired.

Cool thing to ponder.

All of the above players mentioned and many many more are part of a still ongoing 30 year old Rick Martin (French Connection) trade tree.  The latest branch being the recently acquired defenseman Colin Miller.

Funny thing is, after the Sabres traded Martin, He only played 3 or 4 games for LA before retiring.

Check out some of these names!!!

martintradetree1.jpg

7 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

The Sabres traded LaFontaine to the Rangers for a 2nd round pick.  By then, he was hanging on by a thread to his career.  Concussions finally caught up to him after a season with the Rangers and he retired.

oops, I meant Mogilny not LaFontaine (being the guy Pat Quinn traded for).

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

oops, I meant Mogilny not LaFontaine (being the guy Pat Quinn traded for).

Yeah, the Sabres did well with that trade! 

Even though things ended poorly with the Sabres, Peca still lives in the Buffalo area and coaches the one of the jr. Sabres teams.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Yeah, the Sabres did well with that trade! 

Even though things ended poorly with the Sabres, Peca still lives in the Buffalo area and coaches the one of the jr. Sabres teams.

Didn't that Darcy Tucker take his knee out that was the start of that decline?  Oddly enough, both became linemates later on.  Granted Peca threw a hit while he was Canuck on the great Selanne:

• Cheers 1