The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Laine in "deep talks" with Montreal

Clearly there is talk that Montreal will be making a play for Laine and that Laine is looking for $10M at least.  This is what I've heard through various media sources.  The talk is that Winnipeg may not be able to sign all of their players anyways and that Laine is not their first priority.  Given that Bergevin is trying to put together a deal.  Here are the options as he is presenting it.  Pure speculation:

1. Offer sheet.  Compensation at $10.148M is 4 x 1sts, less, 2 x 1sts, 2nd, 3rd.  The difference is substantial hence offer #2
  2. Make a deal.  Montreal may offer something in between consisting of players who are mature now (helps Wpg with the age of their present core) and picks.

Good for Montreal.  Although the cost is high, they have the opportunity to boost their goal scoring without the crippling sacrifice of 4 x 1sts

Good for Winnipeg.  They get ready players (good ones) to make up for other losses and stay firmly planted in their window, and picks for a player who is A-

So if they don't take the offer sheet route, Mtl gets their player and Wpg stays in their window.....hmmm.....

Highly irregular?  Damn straight.

Edited by Crabcakes

32 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Laine's finished at the NHL level.

Advantage for Winnipeg if MTL offer-sheets him

Couldnt agree more, I see him being an absolute nightmare of a contract in 5 years. His skating/posture reminds me of Lucic.

He has a great shot and one-timer. Hands are decent, nothing special.

1 hour ago, ItsMillerTime said:

I really feel like Jets might not match a offer on Laine if its too much. I think they value Connor more than Laine. 

As they should. Laine is probably the most one-dimensional and inconsistent player in the game. When he's on he's putting pucks in nets but when he's off he's useless.

Connor is way more well rounded and dependable.

6 hours ago, BlueDragon23 said:

Damn. If the Jets lose Laine, that’s Trouba, Myers, Chariot and Laine gone... ouch. They could go from West contender to missing the playoffs. Sucks for Peg.

Laine was a no show for most of last season. His 30 goals look impressive until you realize he scored pretty much all of them in the first 20 games. He's a one dimensional scorer, albeit elite level when he's on. 50 points in 82 games is not very good. Boeser had 6 more points in 13 fewer games. If Winnipeg is lucky Montreal offersheets him for 8.5 and they get two 1st rounders, a 2nd and a 3rd. I don't think they'll be hurting as bad as people say. They were incredibly deep last season. Most of what they lost were luxuries and not necessities. Losing both Myers and Trouba is interesting though. 

11 hours ago, Solinar said:

I was reading about someone who actually followed Laine's fortnight usage, and tracked his playing stats against them.  Apparently, when his usage went up, his performance went down, but could all be just internet hooie.  Takes the heat off of Juolevi at the very least.

Juolevi wasn’t the guy who had the problem, it was confirmed by the guy in the media who spread the “fortnite NHL player issue’