The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Laine in "deep talks" with Montreal

14 minutes ago, tas said:

he's averaged 37 goals per year over his first 3 years in the league. you lock that up with term and money. 

Lol. No, more to hockey than just goals and assists. Takes battle and two way play to win championships. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, tas said:

he's averaged 37 goals per year over his first 3 years in the league. you lock that up with term and money. 

Question. Would you trade Boeser for him? Knowing you had to sign each to a 7 year contract.  Laine getting paid more based on stats to date thus getting paid more over those next seven years. 

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, rekker said:

Question. Would you trade Boeser for him? Knowing you had to sign each to a 7 year contract.  Laine getting paid more based on stats to date thus getting paid more over those next seven years. 

maybe not, as you could get close to similar production out of Boeser and spend elsewhere like on better defence.

But this feels like a big mistake to me on Winnipeg's part. Yes Laine has been lazy at times, but the kids got an elite scoring talent. You need to hang on to elite if you're lucky enough to draft it. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

maybe not, as you could get close to similar production out of Boeser and spend elsewhere like on better defence.

But this feels like a big mistake to me on Winnipeg's part. Yes Laine has been lazy at times, but the kids got an elite scoring talent. You need to hang on to elite if you're lucky enough to draft it. 

I agree. But if I'm the Jets I do a bridge deal. Two years show me what you got Mr Fortnight. 

• Haha 3

If this is a trade and not an offer sheet, I’m not sure how Montreal can get this done without starting with Kotkaniemi, Domi, or Poehling. And even then, they’d still have to add a lot.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2019 at 7:45 PM, EliasBoeser said:

I’m not a fan of Laine, there I said it.  He’s gonna get overpaid.

You're not alone...he's a great player when he's on, but he virtually disappears for long stretches at a time and is uber-streaky. A player like him shouldn't be unnoticeable as often as he is. When he's on his game he's elite though.

Edited by CJ44
  • Cheers 1

• -SN- changed the title to [Rumour] Laine in "deep talks" with Montreal
On 7/7/2019 at 9:56 AM, Jimmy McGill said:

I couldn’t agree more. He’s generational talent. It would be a massive fumble that they would feel for years.

• Cheers 1

On 7/7/2019 at 10:16 AM, rekker said:

Lol. No, more to hockey than just goals and assists. Takes battle and two way play to win championships. 

putting pucks in the net consistently is the most difficult thing in hockey, and thus the most coveted asset. 

the stanley cup isn't awarded to the team with the best corsi, it's given to the team that outscores their opponent more often than the opposite. 

you can get battle and compete for $900k throughout the bottom half of your lineup. 

1 hour ago, tas said:

putting pucks in the net consistently is the most difficult thing in hockey, and thus the most coveted asset. 

the stanley cup isn't awarded to the team with the best corsi, it's given to the team that outscores their opponent more often than the opposite. 

you can get battle and compete for $900k throughout the bottom half of your lineup. 

Of course you need to score. You can't score if you don't have possession. Possession through faceoffs, takeaways, board battles, body checks. I never said you dont need scoring. So far Laine is a one dimensional wonder. "Im over here, get me the puck". That wears thin with teammates in a hurry, especially when you go long streaks without scoring like he does. You can have him on your team. I'd rather have more compete in my top scorers than Laine has offered up so far. Slow, weak. But ya he can one time a puck like few others. Have hardly noticed Laine the last two playoffs. Not a guy I want on a big, long term contract. Not until he shows me any different.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, rekker said:

Of course you need to score. You can't score if you don't have possession. Possession through faceoffs, takeaways, board battles, body checks. I never said you dont need scoring. So far Laine is a one dimensional wonder. "Im over here, get me the puck". That wears thin with teammates in a hurry, especially when you go long streaks without scoring like he does. You can have him on your team. I'd rather have more compete in my top scorers than Laine has offered up so far. Slow, weak. But ya he can one time a puck like few others. Have hardly noticed Laine the last two playoffs. Not a guy I want on a big, long term contract. Not until he shows me any different.  

Laine could get an offer sheet of 10.4 over five years.  That’s just below the four firsts, I believe.  Marner, being the far more complete player, could get offered over the four first threshold.  

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Laine could get an offer sheet of 10.4 over five years.  That’s just below the four firsts, I believe.  Marner, being the far more complete player, could get offered over the four first threshold.  

I was hoping for more offer sheets as a hockey fan but its not looking good. I'm still very surprised a guy like Kapanen wasn't offer sheeted. 5.2 per would only cost a first and a third. I doubt TO matches that.

It's crazy to even think Laine would be traded. He's an elite goal scorer, maybe not as well rounded in his game as say Ovechkin would be, but still - 40 goals isn't anything to sneeze about, and he's still only 21 years old. What would Montréal have to give up in order to get him in Canadien colours? 

I think Bergevin offer sheets him, because I think see how Montréal gets Laine without giving up a ton in return, almost to the point where they'd cripple themselves. 

On 7/7/2019 at 9:20 AM, rekker said:

Yes.

Boeser is great and all but Laine is better at the things Bes is great at. Neither of them contribute much other than scoring. 

Edited by hammertime
  • Wat 1

On 7/7/2019 at 11:24 AM, Monty said:

If this is a trade and not an offer sheet, I’m not sure how Montreal can get this done without starting with Kotkaniemi, Domi, or Poehling. And even then, they’d still have to add a lot.

I think it would be possible to make the trade without giving away the farm, since Montreal has been hoarding picks and prospects and not trading them away.  A combination of Drouin, Tatar, Gallagher, Lekhonen, Hudon, Suzuki, Caulfield, Brook, Juulsen, Fleury, Mete, 1st rounders, without including the aforementioned 3 players would still make a trade possible.