The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What if everything goes right?

Rate this topic

John_Guest

Your optimism pleases me,  prepare to be crucified for it. 

But I do agree, there’s a lot of what ifs, and if the injury’s hold off, and everyone keeps progressing, the sky’s the limit.

• Upvote 3

Do what I do, fully expect and prepare for the worst case scenario. Making the playoffs and losing in the first round. The one draft we aren’t in the lottery is one of the best this decade.

So Canucks.

We are so doing this, so excited. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Yes there is a lot of what ifs  and questions with the Canucks roster presently but with the defence upgrade, our young players learning and growing and staying healthy; I’m optimistic about making the playoffs. 

Do NOT pay attention to anyone on the local sports radio, 1040, TSN etc as those idiots couldn’t hit water if they fell out of a boat.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

Great article, I'm as confident as you are when we are healthy.

Especially now with the new core settling in, NHL calibre goaltending and the depth in the lineup.

It is still under construction but it's now up to coach Green and his staff to assemble and get results.

Edited by 6string
as
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

Injuries will happen to our team, especially the blue line.  We know Tanev and Edler are likely to go down at some point.  The question is always whether the team can push forward despite injuries.  The teams that survive make the playoffs.  Pretty simple rule to live and die by, without much exception.

Everything going right teaches a fanbase or team nothing about perseverance.  It's about things going wrong and still gutting out wins.  That's a team worth rooting for.

• Upvote 2

Just the added Defensive depth should get the 5 games we needed to get into the playoffs. We may need more than that this year as last season a lot of teams around us floundered.

Biega played half the season as I recall and a lot of minutes as well. For a lot of games our top D pairing was Hutton and Stecher. They played better than expected but they still are not 1-2 D men.

This season with the depth at D we wont have to play Edler and Tanev to death and hope they stay healthy.Between Myers and Benn they can take some of the hard defensive minutes away for CT and AE and allow a more balanced workload for all. This alone should produce a fresher D and perhaps a less injured blue line.

If Marky has it figured out especially with the better D in front of him, we should have a better PK and reduced goals against.

The offense is there when healthy. They put up 8 goals in Boston last year. they can score. they just have to score one more than the other team. I think they will make the playoffs. Probably as a wild card team but who knows. I am sure those same sports guys had Vegas in the Cup finals two years ago. Teams surprise every year

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

If someone tries to tell you there's no reason for optimism, that's a pretty good indicator that their opinion isn't worth $&!#.

In my opinion the best case scenario is a list as follows

1. Win the Stanley cup

2. Win the draft lottery 

3. Win 2nd in draft lottery 

4. Win 3rd in draft lottery 

5. Pick 4th overall. 

I have optimism for 2-5. If we make the playoffs 2-5 are not possible and neither is the Stanley cup. So therefore I don’t want to make the playoffs. It’s a deep draft and we have a lot of huge holes to fill. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

St Louis winning the cup and Carolina getting to the conference final proved that if you get in, anything is possible.

I’ve watched 25 years of Canucks hockey. I don’t close my eyes and reminisce about a conference final or even the SCF. I don’t have a 1994 Campbell Conference champions shirt. After all these years 4 straight with no playoffs is nothing. 

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

St Louis winning the cup and Carolina getting to the conference final proved that if you get in, anything is possible.

Both those teams had always a strong blueline *on paper* at the very least.  Key difference.  Ours is still a work in process.  Better than last year, but then again, it was pretty awful last year. 

1 hour ago, Bubble Man said:

I’ve watched 25 years of Canucks hockey. I don’t close my eyes and reminisce about a conference final or even the SCF. I don’t have a 1994 Campbell Conference champions shirt. After all these years 4 straight with no playoffs is nothing. 

You’ve been watching that long and haven’t figured out yet that us winning a cup is not going to be a regular thing, there is a lot of hockey in between even final appearances (of which we actually have more then most of the clubs since we came in), and for us a lot of losing too.   I own a shirt although it was given to me and way too small.  I like it because the logo rocks and because it reminds me of that team.   As fans their is a lot more to enjoy then just winning a cup, if you don’t and you’ve followed this team long enough you will end up in an institution or have ulcerative colitis waiting for one as the only thing that matters. 

I get that maybe Benning pulled the plug a bit early but I also get why he did it.  OJ not working out so far is the biggest failure and it’s pushing him to move forward.   The entire core will be in their early prime and some members possibly on their way out already before any defenseman he drafts come in from this year or future drafts.   And he’s already drafted the magic number(s) of guys he can afford to keep once they are all RFAs.    Sure more will never hurt, now he has to focus on hitting on them with later picks for the future of the team five years down the road.  Like it or not the tanking phase is over.   

Hes done better then I expected anyone to do coming in,  maybe that’s because I’ve watched them too long or I’m just a realist (no top team gets away without paying the piper...well Detroit did but only kind of, they still had a half dozen guys from their old core helping Zettberg and Datsyuk) ... the Keenan days seemed a lot darker then these even if it ended up a short turn around thanks to Naslund and the Linden haul, something Benning was never going to get with MG clauses.  

Enjoy the process Bubbles.  And EP, Boeser, Horvat, Miller, Podz, Hughes, Demko etc.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Good post, OP, and know that you're not alone.  The silent majority are not only fans but positive about the team and its future.  They can see where things are going, and the haze is clearing even for those who haven't understood the plan these past few years.  The media still chirps and will always have their mockingbirds in the "fanbase" but they're only becoming more irrelevant.

38 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Both those teams had always a strong blueline *on paper* at the very least.  Key difference.  Ours is still a work in process.  Better than last year, but then again, it was pretty awful last year. 

Speaking of key differences, this will be the first year of the Benning regime where we do not have any placeholders in the starting D.  Yes Hughes is a rookie, but the best one at least offensively we've had back there since... basically ever.

"Who's going to score the goals?" - Ray Ferraro

Comments like that are just asinine, and he's said it multiple times on different shows.  Not only did we add Pearson late in the season and Miller in the off-season, but our two top scorers are 20 and 22 -- they aren't going to improve?  Not to mention finally having a couple puck-movers on the back end.

As has been pointed out, one of the simplest and main indicators of being a playoff team is goal differential -- it pretty much has to be positive if you want a chance at making it to the post-season.  Ours was -29 last year, so if we score 15 more and allow 15 less, we are right there.  We added 15+ in Miller alone, and should not the terrible powerplay be better with him, Hughes, and Myers on it?  Can the adds on defence (and purging of the placeholders) not prevent another 15?  How much better could Marky be with a more-solid D in front of him?  Can we finally have a season without mass injuries to key players decimating the roster?  Bet against all these things if one wishes, but we are going to be in there and right until the end.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2