Sign in to follow this  
janisahockeynut

2019-2020 Western Conference Final Standings

Rate this topic

where does Vancouver end up placing in the West. Conference  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I think the Canucks have really improved this off season and think the players they have added, really will make a difference. In saying that, other teams have also added, and even a couple have lost this off season. Where do you think the Canucks finish at the end of the 2019-2020 season? Here is the final standings of the 2018-2019 Season in the western Conference.

 

1.  Calgary 107 Pts...………….Biggest move: The changing of goalies...……………………………………………………….........Tkachuk and Bennett to sign 9 M left

2.  San Jose 101 Pts...………..Huge losses this year, starting with Pavelski………………………………………………………....4 players and 6 Million left of cap space

3.  Nashville 100 Pts...………..Addition of Duchene and the Loss of Subban………………………………………………………...1 player and 5 Million left of cap space

4.  Winnipeg 99 Pts...…………Loss of Myers and Trouba……………………………….……………………………………………...Connors Pionk and Laine to sign Tight

5.  St.Louis 99 Pts...…………..Added Pouliot...…………………………………………………………………………………………..4 players and 14 Million left in cap space

6.  Dallas 93 Pts...……………..Added Pavelski, Coery Perry, and Sekara…………………………………………………………….Hard to the cap

7.  Vegas 93 Pts...……………..Loss JT Miller...…………………………………………………………………………………………...Hard to the cap

8.  Colorado 90 Pts...…………..Added Maker...…………………………………………………………………………………………..Need to sign Rantanen 24 M in cap space

9.  Arizona 86 Pts...…………….Added Phil Kessel...……………………………………………………………………………………..Hard to the cap

10. Chicago 84 Pts...…………...Added DeHaan…………………………………………………….………………………………...…..Hard to the cap

11. Minnesota 83 Pts...…………Added Zucarello………………………………………………………………………………………….5 players and 11 Million cap space 

12. Vancouver 81 Pts...…………Added Myers, Jordie Benn, JT Miller, Demko and Hughes...……Need to sign Boeser…...…....1 player and 7 Million left of cap space

13. Anaheim 80 Pts …………….NOT a Player...……………………………Going to compete for 1st OA in 2020 Draft……..….1 player and 9 million left of cap space

14. Edmonton 79 Pts...…………Added Smith...…………………………………………………………………………………………....1 player and 4 Million left of cap space

15. LA Kings 71 Pts...…………...Not a Player...…………...………………..Going to compete for 1st OA in 2020 Draft…...……No major player adds 

 

With the majority of major signing off the table, and only Ferland, Dzingel, Williams, Thornton, and Gardiner really being the only significant pieces still out there, the dinner table is pretty much set, as to where teams will end up.

 

My bet is Colorado adds as soon as they sign Rantanen……………….they will be a contender...…….I bet Gardiner goes there...……...Possibily!

 

 

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

1.  Nashville

2.  Calgary

3.  Vegas

4.  St. Louis

5.  Colorado

6.  Dallas

7.  San Jose

8.  Winnipeg

9.  Vancouver

10. Arizona

11. Chicago

12. Edmonton

13. Minnesota

14. Anaheim

15. LA Kings

 

 

 

 

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. COL - A very good team added more good = they'll be tough to beat

2. STL - Cup champs lost a bit of size with Gunnarsson and Maroon leaving, but they still have plenty, and great goaltending

3. CGY - They were good last year, and now have a better goalie IMO

4. VGK - Still in fine shape, and it helps to have Fluery

5. MIN - Good D and goaltending and have now added Zuccarello

6. NSH - Lost Subban, but gained Duchene. With Rinne being 36, their window seems to be closing fast

7. VAN - Overhauled the D and added a key piece up front in J.T. Miller

8. ARI - Added Kessel, but how motivated will he be? Lost some offence with Panik and Galchenyuk leaving

 

WPG, SJ and CBJ lost too much. EDM isn't any better after adding Granlund, but they will turn it around. CHI hasn't done enough to improve. DAL lost Zuccarello and Spezza, and then brought in even older players. LA did nothing and they sucked last year. ANA is tearing it down, and lost one of their leaders (Perry)

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Colorado is going to make a jump this year with the addition of Kadri.  They will no longer be a 1 line team.  Makar and possibly Byrum will fill the void created by the loss of Barrie.

Calgary slides marginally not having resolved anything (yet again)

San Jose could easily fall by more than 10 points and out of the playoffs without their captain Pavelski.  When will Thornton finally retire.  Also lost Donskoi and Nyquist.

Nashville treading water

Winnipeg slides 10 points and out of the playoffs.  Brutal off season so far.  It's not over yet.

Dallas treading water

Vegas....Colin Miller?  

 

Which means that 2 of Vancouver, Arizona, Chicago and Minny make it.  I expect Minny to be the least of these 4

 

 

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I imagine the ever optimistic Apollo gave the Canucks the 1st place vote :lol:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

 

 

1.  Calgary 107 Pts...………….Biggest move: The changing of goalies...……………………………………………………….........Tkachuk and Bennett to sign 9 M left

2.  San Jose 101 Pts...………..Huge losses this year, starting with Pavelski………………………………………………………....4 players and 6 Million left of cap space

3.  Nashville 100 Pts...………..Addition of Duchene and the Loss of Subban………………………………………………………...1 player and 5 Million left of cap space

4.  Winnipeg 99 Pts...…………Loss of Myers and Trouba……………………………….……………………………………………...Connors Pionk and Laine to sign Tight

5.  St.Louis 99 Pts...…………..Added Pouliot...…………………………………………………………………………………………..4 players and 14 Million left in cap space

6.  Dallas 93 Pts...……………..Added Pavelski, Coery Perry, and Sekara…………………………………………………………….Hard to the cap

7.  Vegas 93 Pts...……………..Loss JT Miller...…………………………………………………………………………………………...Hard to the cap

8.  Colorado 90 Pts...…………..Added Maker...…………………………………………………………………………………………..Need to sign Rantanen 24 M in cap space

 

 

9.  Arizona 86 Pts...…………….Added Phil Kessel...……………………………………………………………………………………..Hard to the cap

10. Chicago 84 Pts...…………...Added DeHaan…………………………………………………….………………………………...…..Hard to the cap

11. Minnesota 83 Pts...…………Added Zucarello………………………………………………………………………………………….5 players and 11 Million cap space 

12. Vancouver 81 Pts...…………Added Myers, Jordie Benn, JT Miller, Demko and Hughes...……Need to sign Boeser…...…....1 player and 7 Million left of cap space

13. Anaheim 80 Pts …………….NOT a Player...……………………………Going to compete for 1st OA in 2020 Draft……..….1 player and 9 million left of cap space

14. Edmonton 79 Pts...…………Added Smith...…………………………………………………………………………………………....1 player and 4 Million left of cap space

15. LA Kings 71 Pts...…………...Not a Player...…………...………………..Going to compete for 1st OA in 2020 Draft…...……No major player adds 

 

 

 

 

Of the teams that did not make the playoffs I feel like we are poised to rise the most over the next few years but not enough for making playoffs next year. Do to the young players (petterson, Boeser, Demko, Hughes) getting better and depth/quality of prospect pool (pod, olli, hog, woo mainly)

 

As well in a few years I could see San Jose and Dallas slipping...

 

I say we make it in 2 years. If we could add a legit playmaking winger for Bo's line this year we would have a better chance.

 

Thoughts?

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 Col

2 SJ

3 Cal

4 Dal

5 Nash

6 Stl

7 Wpg

8 Vgk

9 Van

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

I think the Canucks have really improved this off season and think the players they have added, really will make a difference. In saying that, other teams have also added, and even a couple have lost this off season. Where do you think the Canucks finish at the end of the 2019-2020 season? Here is the final standings of the 2018-2019 Season in the western Conference.

 

1.  Calgary 107 Pts...………….Biggest move: The changing of goalies...……………………………………………………….........Tkachuk and Bennett to sign 9 M left

2.  San Jose 101 Pts...………..Huge losses this year, starting with Pavelski………………………………………………………....4 players and 6 Million left of cap space

3.  Nashville 100 Pts...………..Addition of Duchene and the Loss of Subban………………………………………………………...1 player and 5 Million left of cap space

4.  Winnipeg 99 Pts...…………Loss of Myers and Trouba……………………………….……………………………………………...Connors Pionk and Laine to sign Tight

5.  St.Louis 99 Pts...…………..Added Pouliot...…………………………………………………………………………………………..4 players and 14 Million left in cap space

6.  Dallas 93 Pts...……………..Added Pavelski, Coery Perry, and Sekara…………………………………………………………….Hard to the cap

7.  Vegas 93 Pts...……………..Loss JT Miller...…………………………………………………………………………………………...Hard to the cap

8.  Colorado 90 Pts...…………..Added Maker...…………………………………………………………………………………………..Need to sign Rantanen 24 M in cap space

9.  Arizona 86 Pts...…………….Added Phil Kessel...……………………………………………………………………………………..Hard to the cap

10. Chicago 84 Pts...…………...Added DeHaan…………………………………………………….………………………………...…..Hard to the cap

11. Minnesota 83 Pts...…………Added Zucarello………………………………………………………………………………………….5 players and 11 Million cap space 

12. Vancouver 81 Pts...…………Added Myers, Jordie Benn, JT Miller, Demko and Hughes...……Need to sign Boeser…...…....1 player and 7 Million left of cap space

13. Anaheim 80 Pts …………….NOT a Player...……………………………Going to compete for 1st OA in 2020 Draft……..….1 player and 9 million left of cap space

14. Edmonton 79 Pts...…………Added Smith...…………………………………………………………………………………………....1 player and 4 Million left of cap space

15. LA Kings 71 Pts...…………...Not a Player...…………...………………..Going to compete for 1st OA in 2020 Draft…...……No major player adds 

 

With the majority of major signing off the table, and only Ferland, Dzingel, Williams, Thornton, and Gardiner really being the only significant pieces still out there, the dinner table is pretty much set, as to where teams will end up.

 

My bet is Colorado adds as soon as they sign Rantanen……………….they will be a contender...…….I bet Gardiner goes there...……...Possibily!

 

 

 

1. Calgary. Say what you will about Gaudreau and Monahan in the playoffs but these guys get it done in the regular season. They will get you there. Their top 6 is more complete than ours with JG, Monahan, Lindholm, Backlund, and Tkachuk. Their top 4D is obviously better than ours. 

2. Nashville. Losing Subban doesn't hurt them much at all, that's how deep their defence is. Then, there's Rinne. Preds are one team where I think Duchene will flourish. Their forward group has a decent balance and with Laviolett as their coach, they will create offence be it from forwards or from defence.

3. St. Louis. Defending champs have depth at all positions and finally have a starting goalie.

4. Vegas. McPhee hasn't pissed away much of the assets that he robbed off from other teams yet. Still a fast and skilled team coached by one of the better coaches in the league.

5. Dallas. They clearly improved over last season by adding Pavelski and to some extent Perry. Perry is no longer a go-to guy but he should still be a pain in the a$$ to play against on their second line.

6. San Jose. Contrary to what some think, I think they will be back in the playoffs. How many teams featured 2 Norris caliber players in the history of the NHL and how good were they? Detroit with Lidstrom and Chelios. Although Stevens didn't win one, you could say he was Norris calibre player on the Devils team that featured Niedermayer. Then, there is Pronger and Niedermayer in Anaheim. Blake and Bourque in Colorado. With Karlsson, Burns, and Vlasic they basically have 3 top 2 defenceman, 2 of them are Norris winners. Besides, their younger guys have had breakout years, Meier, Hertl, and even Kevin Labanc is a 50 point scorer. Although losing Pavelski hurts, Couture is still around along with Kane. Their top 6 is good enough to take advantage of plays made from the back end. Only concern might be goaltending.

7. Colorado. Like Dallas, they clearly improved in various ways. The scary thing is they are still a young team so there is expectation of improvement due to internal growth.

T8. Arizona. 

T8. Chicago.

T8. Vancouver.

11. Winnipeg. Their defence was once so strong but now it looks like it's going to be their weakness. I don't expect Byfuglien to play a full season, leaving Morrissey as the only top 3 defenceman on their roster. With weaker defence, Hellebuyck will be exposed. I'm just not convinced that he is as great a goalie as he appears. Top 6 is still solid assuming everyone is back so I could be dead wrong with this prediction but I sense a collapse.

12. Minnesota. They are in a re-tool mode, I assume they will struggle.

13. Edmonton. Don't think they improved their depth on forward. 

14. Anaheim. Lack of depth.

15. LA. Tanking hard. I think Robitaille admitted that they are rebuilding.

 

I think we will finish somewhere between 8-10. It's hard to decide because,

 

1. Not sure if Chicago's defence prospects are ready to overtake Keith's minutes. If yes, they have enough up front to surpass the Canucks.

2. Arizona has #1D in OEL. And a great top 3 in Hjalmarsson who along with Demers were +8 and +9 on a team where almost every other defencemen were in the minus. Kessel adds sniping ability to a team that plays a good structured game. 

3. Canucks clearly improved. And there is expectation of improvement through growth like Colorado. How much will EP, Hughes, and Boeser improve? Will Bo continue his upward trajectory or is he going to plateau at around 60 points? JT Miller and Myers are improvements but by how much? If Markstrom maintains around 915 save percentage, the Canucks have a decent chance to make the playoffs.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Teams we are 100% better than

1. LA. Last 

2. Anaheim. best goaltender in west

3. Edmonton. McDavid

 

Teams we are Equal to 

1. Phoenix. Took a Big step last season. 

2. Minny. Forever cast into mediocrity.  

3. Chicago. Finally replaced Belfour

 

Teams if Healthy marginally better

1. Winnipeg. Lost a lot but still good

2. Dallas. Heiskanen is beautiful 

3. Vegas. Lost a lot but best coaching 

 

Teams in a different league 

1. Colorado. So hot right now

2. Calgary. Lots of regular season goals 

3. San Jose. Lost Joe but still

4. Nashville. Stacked defence 

5. St Louis. Deep. 

 

We are better, the gap is narrowing. I don’t think the west has ever been this tight. Every team even at the top has some kind of weakness. There are no superpowers. I think Nashville wins the west. We are still a pre-bubble team. The only thing that separates us from a playoff team are “ifs” we still have quite a few. I think we have potentially the best goaltending duo in the west. That alone could put this team in and mask a lot of holes. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

I imagine the ever optimistic Apollo gave the Canucks the 1st place vote :lol:

Sure ... why not. Lets shoot for the stars ::D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I expect Calgary, San Jose and Winnipeg to fall each off a cliff. Vancouver with the 7th-8th spot is really possible this year. We overhauled the D, increased our offensive depth and our goaltending seems really stable with a Marky-Demko tandem.

 

I don't think I've been this excited for a season to start for a really long time. The road back to contender status starts this septembre!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

I expect Calgary, San Jose and Winnipeg to fall each off a cliff. Vancouver with the 7th-8th spot is really possible this year. We overhauled the D, increased our offensive depth and our goaltending seems really stable with a Marky-Demko tandem.

 

I don't think I've been this excited for a season to start for a really long time. The road back to contender status starts this septembre!!

Why Calgary out of curiosity? Do you think last year was a fluke? I see why you mention SJ & WPG and although I wouldn't say I agree, there's at least reasoning behind it, but Calgary has virtually the same roster that was pretty dominant in last year's regular season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Maketherightmove said:

Why Calgary out of curiosity? Do you think last year was a fluke? I see why you mention SJ & WPG and although I wouldn't say I agree, there's at least reasoning behind it, but Calgary has virtually the same roster that was pretty dominant in last year's regular season. 

Calgary has the worst goaltending in the league. They got lucky that their offense could make up for it but it won’t 2 years in a row.

they need prime Kipper to get them over the hump. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

wow a lot of pessimism. Canucks will be in the playoffs this year.

petey will likely take a step forward.

boeser will likely take a step forward.

horvat will likely take a step forward.

one of goldobin, baer, leivo, or Pearson will hopefully prove to be a legit top 6. 

We added a legit top 6 in jt miller

=

5/6 legit top 6. pretty good when you compare league-wide

 

bottom 6 will be strong,  as it was last year.

 

defense will actually be NHL level thie year. full year of Hughes and upgrades in Myers and Benn.

I also wouldnt be surprised in stetch took another step forward. 

 

good potential for a strong tandem in net with marksteom/demko.

 

and I dont think you can discount how hard travis green had this team working last year and his ability as a coach to get a lot out of his team.

 

I'll go out on a limb and say we finish 3rd in our division.

Edited by Yung1
  • Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

I imagine the ever optimistic Apollo gave the Canucks the 1st place vote :lol:

Ended up being the 4th first place vote... 

 

There's 3 other believers out there! I'm not alone! :lol:

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Yung1 said:

Canucks will be in the playoffs this year.

Write it down, we will make the playoffs this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, apollo said:

Ended up being the 4th first place vote... 

 

There's 3 other believers out there! I'm not alone! :lol:

I went with the 4th place vote as well. Cautiously optimistic that the injury bug might not hit the D this year as bad due to the leveling out of the minutes played.

Myers should take a few hard minutes away from Edler and Tanev and Hughes should provide some Offense from the D.

I think  Hughes will provide some fun when we hit OT as well. The games he played in last season were pretty fun to watch once they took a couple skaters off the ice.

I just think no matter what you think of Myers and Benn they are an Upgrade on Stecher and Hutton.

Probably my biggest curiosity this coming season is who plays the point on the number one power play. Myers and Hughes? Hughes and Edler?

If Markstrom plays well this season he will do it behind an improved defense and that could translate into a few less goals. Less chances given up.

I dont think we are contenders yet. There's still some tinkering to do but the opportunity for a jump up the standings is there.

Depth equals less loss of points when injuries occur.

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2019 at 5:55 AM, Bubble Man said:

Teams we are 100% better than

1. LA. Last 

2. Anaheim. best goaltender in west

3. Edmonton. McDavid

 

Teams we are Equal to 

1. Phoenix. Took a Big step last season. 

2. Minny. Forever cast into mediocrity.  

3. Chicago. Finally replaced Belfour

 

Teams if Healthy marginally better

1. Winnipeg. Lost a lot but still good

2. Dallas. Heiskanen is beautiful 

3. Vegas. Lost a lot but best coaching 

 

Teams in a different league 

1. Colorado. So hot right now

2. Calgary. Lots of regular season goals 

3. San Jose. Lost Joe but still

4. Nashville. Stacked defence 

5. St Louis. Deep. 

 

We are better, the gap is narrowing. I don’t think the west has ever been this tight. Every team even at the top has some kind of weakness. There are no superpowers. I think Nashville wins the west. We are still a pre-bubble team. The only thing that separates us from a playoff team are “ifs” we still have quite a few. I think we have potentially the best goaltending duo in the west. That alone could put this team in and mask a lot of holes. 

Not bad.   I can’t disagree with a lot of this with the exception of SJ.  I wasn’t surprised EK stayed but have said for a while that this team is on the decline even though their window is still open, much like PIT but even older.  One of those guys left in Pavelski who’s still probably going to be decent for a year or two, the other wasn’t re-signed in Thornton who still is good enough to play a decent 2nd line center but you never know when he’s going to decline further, could be this year.   And Burns is going to be done in two or three years as in a Norris caliber guy and regress too.  They are like we were five years ago.  The difference is Wilson won’t rebuild he’s a re-tool all the way sort of guy and seems to make it work.  But he’s going to have to pay the piper at some point and I think EK will maybe keep them a bubble team at best until it pops.

 

Last year they had some bad spells.  Jones has seemed to regress, fixing that position would go a long way in keeping them relevant (if they had Gibson I wouldn’t be talking about them nearly as much, but they don’t). 

 

Im also not as bullish on NSH.  They seem to have issues, losing Subban will hurt a bit, adding Duchene might balance the hit and put them up.  Rinne is in the twilight of his career and their back-up wasn’t as a bright light last year as he was the year before.  Not saying we are better then them, would say somewhere in between marginally and a different league.  I would definitely swap Vegas with SJ.   Vegas (I’m jealous) added Stone, Patches and MAF still has the stuff (and would have beat SJ handily if not for that Pavelski hit, and all there guys are back basically, not SJ though) at least for now I’d say we are in a different league then them.

 

On paper at least both wild cards look to be coming from the Central.  We have decent odds of fighting for the third spot in our division.   Vegas, CAL, SJ/VAN would be my bets for 1,2,3 and of course on paper is NEVER the same as what the experts say will happen so we do have decent odds that one of the wild cards will come from our division, and slim odds both even.  

 

I also believe we are a team on the rise, EP is also an if...you have to think one of two of those ifs we will hit on and when he does explode, watch out.

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.