Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Josh Teves, Brogan Rafferty, Reid Boucher

10 hours ago, WalkWithElias40 said:

YEA VANCOUVER MILLIONAIRES !

Greatest cup Champs of all time! 

• Like 1

Benning seemed to think highly of both Teves and Rafferty when addressing why they didn't draft any D in this year's draft. Curious to see what they both bring to, presumably, Utica this year. Wouldn't be surprised to see both players play a game or two filling in for injuries. 

Gotta love depth

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Don't set your hair on fire.  Capfriendly has 31 players listed on the active roster (27 + 4 unsigned....they haven't updated today's signings yet).  When it's reduced to 23, the Canucks will have plenty of cap.  Over $10M not including Roussel who's going on IR.  

Sarcasm. 

16 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

These D-signings allowed us to go all-in on fwds at the draft. It appears a nice strategy, as we receive more developed, insertable D this way. Should Big Tree also return, the back end gets even deeper.

Ya, we definitely need to draft fewer D and sign UFAs with NHL bottom pairing upside. Going all in on forwards was the strange to say the least. Considering we literally have no real RHD in our system that can complement our Dynamic 19 year old Prodigy. Biggest organizational need is a hard shooting RHD that can tee off Hughes/EP feeds from the blue line. Tyler Myers isn’t going to be there when Hughes and EP hit their prime. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Bubble Man said:

Ya, we definitely need to draft fewer D and sign UFAs with NHL bottom pairing upside. Going all in on forwards was the strange to say the least. Considering we literally have no real RHD in our system that can complement our Dynamic 19 year old Prodigy. Biggest organizational need is a hard shooting RHD that can tee off Hughes/EP feeds from the blue line. Tyler Myers isn’t going to be there when Hughes and EP hit their prime. 

Were there dmen you would've taken over Podkolzin or Hoglander? It's a crapshoot the rest of the draft and would be naive to think we could hit on a legit RHD by the 4th round and on (we didn't have a 3rd rounder).

We have Woo in the system. Could we use more? Sure, but we took the BPA which is constantly preached by management and fans alike. It is much easier to find complementary pieces later on as you can target them and simply pay the price if you think they're the missing link.

• Hydration 2

22 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Were there dmen you would've taken over Podkolzin or Hoglander? It's a crapshoot the rest of the draft and would be naive to think we could hit on a legit RHD by the 4th round and on (we didn't have a 3rd rounder).

We have Woo in the system. Could we use more? Sure, but we took the BPA which is constantly preached by management and fans alike. It is much easier to find complementary pieces later on as you can target them and simply pay the price if you think they're the missing link.

A top pairing RHD is something you have to draft. I understand the reasons but come on, lol. Who goes through an entire draft without picking a D that’s just wacko. 

9 minutes ago, Bubble Man said:

A top pairing RHD is something you have to draft. I understand the reasons but come on, lol. Who goes through an entire draft without picking a D that’s just wacko. 

I don't disagree that finding a top pairing RHD will cost the least through the draft (still hoping we can land Risto somehow). We will see next draft if we are no longer drafting dmen. Based on one draft, I'm not concerned because maybe it just so happened that the BPA all landed as non dmen and the Canucks felt comfortable not needing to take one with the recent signings in Teves and Rafferty. Those depth dmen are more like to be found in those later rounds anyway and you get them for free as free agents (free picks basically) that are further along in their development so you have a better idea what you're getting since dmen are a bit more unpredictable especially in the later rounds.

So like I said, unless there was a dman in the first couple of rounds that we should've taken instead, it's not really a concern.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Bubble Man said:

Who's available at your picks is luck of the draw sometimes it just lines up that BPA isn't a player in the position you're looking for. 

• Hydration 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Who's available at your picks is luck of the draw sometimes it just lines up that BPA isn't a player in the position you're looking for. 

@kingofsurrey

let me explain this too you since hockey talk really isn't your thing and you seem to be confused every time anyone has some actual hockey talk. 

Sometimes during the draft even if you are looking for defensemen... are you still with me? 

The best player available when your pick comes up, is a forward or goalie... see not that hard to figure out what I was saying there was it?

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

@kingofsurrey

let me explain this too you since hockey talk really isn't your thing and you seem to be confused every time anyone has actual hockey talk. 

Sometimes during the draft even if you are looking for defensemen... are you still with me? 

The best player available when your pick comes up, is a forward or goalie... see not that hard to figure out what I was saying there was it?

Strong drafting clubs do not base their picks on luck .... LOL.

You may be a Keno addict  at the Camp bell River  best western games room...... but NHL clubs base their picks on stats and research.

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Strong drafting clubs do not base their picks on luck .... LOL.

You may be a Keno addict  at the Camp bell River  best western games room...... but NHL clubs base their picks on stats and research.

Never said they base their picks on luck... 

“luck of the draw” meaning the best player available this year was always a Forward or Goaltender...

I think Rafferty has the most potential, I liked how he played last season. Curious to see how he stacks up in the pre-season. 

Wasn't as impressed with Teves, he's probably AHL depth, and Boucher is what he is at this point. 

On 7/10/2019 at 7:35 AM, Bubble Man said:

Yeah. I found the strategy to be a bit odd as well. 

But maybe JB feels very strongly with the pieces on defence that he's accumulated over the years. None of them it seems to this date, see to be a core piece of the defence, but you never know. Rafferty seems like an interesting prospect. He's older, but I get the sense that management is banking on one of these defensive prospects to be a late bloomer - kind of like Tanev was. Rafferty is a RD. Isn't Rathbone a RD as well? 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I think Rafferty has the most potential, I liked how he played last season. Curious to see how he stacks up in the pre-season. 

Wasn't as impressed with Teves, he's probably AHL depth, and Boucher is what he is at this point. 

Yeah. I agree. I'm curious as to how he stacks up in the preseason, but also when he gets a few games at the NHL level. Maybe the kid's a late bloomer? I'm not a pro scout or anything, but he does seem really intriguing, and he's a RD too, no? 

On 7/10/2019 at 8:03 AM, theo5789 said:

I don't disagree that finding a top pairing RHD will cost the least through the draft (still hoping we can land Risto somehow). We will see next draft if we are no longer drafting dmen. Based on one draft, I'm not concerned because maybe it just so happened that the BPA all landed as non dmen and the Canucks felt comfortable not needing to take one with the recent signings in Teves and Rafferty. Those depth dmen are more like to be found in those later rounds anyway and you get them for free as free agents (free picks basically) that are further along in their development so you have a better idea what you're getting since dmen are a bit more unpredictable especially in the later rounds.

So like I said, unless there was a dman in the first couple of rounds that we should've taken instead, it's not really a concern.

maybe next draft, they take all defensemen. LOL. 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah. I agree. I'm curious as to how he stacks up in the preseason, but also when he gets a few games at the NHL level. Maybe the kid's a late bloomer? I'm not a pro scout or anything, but he does seem really intriguing, and he's a RD too, no? 

Yup RD.

I agree, I think he could be a potential late bloomer. Why not? Seemed like a strong defensive player with a half decent mind & half decent skill for moving the puck. And played with a bit of an edge too.

I'm sure he'll get a chance in pre-season, hopefully he's not buried. Don't expect him to start in the NHL but I'd love to see him get his shot. Him becoming a real strong #5/6 isn't out of the question in my opinion. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Yup RD.

I agree, I think he could be a potential late bloomer. Why not? Seemed like a strong defensive player with a half decent mind & half decent skill for moving the puck. And played with a bit of an edge too.

I'm sure he'll get a chance in pre-season, hopefully he's not buried. Don't expect him to start in the NHL but I'd love to see him get his shot. Him becoming a real strong #5/6 isn't out of the question in my opinion. 

Training camp can't come soon enough! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1