The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Micheal Ferland

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Well, we'll have to wait and see. I'm not totally convinced.

Gudbranson - 6'5" 220

Ferland - 6'1" 217

Gudbranson has a clear height/reach advantage, but they sit within three pounds of each other, and both are very tough. I don't see it being as cut and dry.

Guys like Kurt Fraser and Rick Rypien weren't that big but could handle themselves against nearly anyone because they knew how to scrap.  Thing with Gudbranson is that although he doesn't weight all that much relative to his height is that he is mega-STRONG.  He can handle anyone physically even if not in a punch-up, like the way he rag-dolled Tom Wilson when he was forced into dealing with him.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Clearly Ferland and Benn will be the two best pugilists on the team now, with Roussel being a solid third. What I love about how all three fight is that they're fearless in how they fight.

I was just checking to see if you needed a bigger spoon, but I see you`re doing just fine!:bigblush:

• Haha 1

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 8:05 AM, ilduce39 said:

JB has taken his lumps for acquiring Sbisa, Sutter and Guddy.  For drafting Jake, for signing guys like Dorsett and Beagle.  These players have had varying degrees of success here but he hasn’t stopped trying to add that physical, gritty element to our team.  

For the naysayers it must be frustrating that he doesn’t give one whit to their opinions.  For me, I absolutely love it.  This feels like the style of team you can win with. 

Marchand over Daniel Sedin.  Terrible, immoral, sacrilege.  They won the cup when we should have. 

Chara… vs. Hamhuis…. this too begins to make sense. 

Hated it at the time.  Felt we got cheated.  Benning saw these things too. 

If you can't change the league, then change the roster. 

Ferland, Roussel, Virtanen, Benn: these guys will be very hard to play against in the playoffs.  Look how St Louis won.  A few key big players, a mobile defense, and a willingness to hit very hard when it mattered.   It is instructive for us in Vancouver with this new team that it was St Louis not Boston that won.  And they won playing a hard style.  Their Conn Smythe guy wasn't Tarasenko but O'Reilly.  Horvat, Ferland and Virtanen would be our comparables, Horvat for position of course.  (I think Horvat would play with more of an edge in a playoff run.)

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, stawns said:

Guddy would hand Ferland his ass, imo.  Hamonuc would probably give Ferland a good run and TH wasn't even in the same universe as Giddy.

i still think chara is the scariest

super strong and tough

he's aging but i think his reputation is solid

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

super strong and tough

Has never lost a fight as far as I know.

He used to be very nasty -- will never forget the Pacioretty hit.  Vicious. Should have been a 40 game suspension. 

Just like Pronger and Stevens: good to win with, but won't be missed by most people when they pack it in. 

23 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

super strong and tough

Byfuglien gives him a run for his money. I've seen Buff grab a player with each hand and rag doll them.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, gameburn said:

Marchand over Daniel Sedin.  Terrible, immoral, sacrilege.  They won the cup when we should have. 

Chara… vs. Hamhuis…. this too begins to make sense. 

Hated it at the time.  Felt we got cheated.  Benning saw these things too. 

If you can't change the league, then change the roster. 

Ferland, Roussel, Virtanen, Benn: these guys will be very hard to play against in the playoffs.  Look how St Louis won.  A few key big players, a mobile defense, and a willingness to hit very hard when it mattered.   It is instructive for us in Vancouver with this new team that it was St Louis not Boston that won.  And they won playing a hard style.  Their Conn Smythe guy wasn't Tarasenko but O'Reilly.  Horvat, Ferland and Virtanen would be our comparables, Horvat for position of course.  (I think Horvat would play with more of an edge in a playoff run.)

I love the whole overall style of play.  

We don’t have a pure, heavyweight face puncher but a plethora of guys who can skate, hit and muck it up.  

Horvat, Virtanen, Miller, Ferland, Roussel, Motte and Benn are tough customers.. and Edler once in a blue can really lay the body too.

If coach Green can get them flying around it should be an exciting group to watch. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Byfuglien gives him a run for his money. I've seen Buff grab a player with each hand and rag doll them.

Always liked Big Buff, even when he was getting in Lou’s grill, while with the Hawks.  He’s one of my favourite players to watch.  Wish we had him. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, oldnews said:

There is no such thing as an 'automatic' victory in the fight game when you have guys as capable as both of them.

But that's somewhat beside the point - I've seen enough Gudbranson fights to know better than to want to be on the other end of him - there is literally no one in the NHL I'd rather face less - and that is no disrespect to any Ferland, Kassian, Reaves, Wilson, Martin, Haley, etc - any of them could win any fight on any given day.  Perhaps the question is  - imagine yourself lining up to fight any of those guys - who makes you the least comfortable with the outcome?  Gudbranson has the ability to pin most of his opponents at a distance, locking them in with his left (tremendous strength with extension) keeping that right arm well out of reach/range - very difficult to tie him up - and he throws those long, heavy, viscious rights - straight through - that pound away.    He doesn't fight inside, he does tie his opponent up - again, no disrespect to the great fighters who fight to their strengths - but Gud has one intent - to throw pretty much exclusively those devastating heavyweight rights - pounding straight throw - no real wasted economy - and he takes a punch as well as anyone (although you rarely see him get tagged).   Of course, it's all 'eye-test' and one's own perspective - their are always outliers in fighting - particularly with heavyweights who can end a fight in one punch - but Gud imo is as dangerous as anyone in the league.

He has manhandled a handful of his peer heavyweights.   I doubt any of them really want to take that risk (would be interesting how they rank each other).   The last guy I'd consider that dangerous might be Brashear.

He may be a handsome guy, gentleman, etc blah blah - but when it's time to fight -  he's one mean s.o.b. who throws intending to punch holes through his opponent.

I think ol Ed Jovanoski was the guy who most tried to take pepoles heads off..not most dangerous...but just trying to savagely connect a huge bomb.  The shot on Deadmarsh. ...ouch. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jam126 said:

Yeah, fair. I'm just talking about people who are straight up analysing just the fighting ability of Ferland and not his hockey ability as much. And putting him in matchups with Gudbranson? It's not a productive conversation. I love what Ferland brings, he's a deterrent, a fighter when he needs to be, and a big hitter. But most important is his talent, and it irritates me that we're talking about his impact with his fists instead of his impact on the scoreboard.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Totally agree.  Ferland is a proven top line player.  He’s been with Johnny Hockey and Aho.  He was great with both.  He comes in great shape too, so he can handle the minutes.  He’s a really good skater, with a great shot, and good hands.  He’s smart too. He just happens to be a big boy who can bop too.  

I understand the excitement, believe me I'm excited that we have some guys that will stand up, but it's getting a tad ridiculous IMO.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jam126 said:

I understand the excitement, believe me I'm excited that we have some guys that will stand up, but it's getting a tad ridiculous IMO.

I think fans are going to be pleasantly surprised just how good Ferland is as a player.  

• Upvote 2