The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Micheal Ferland

3 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

I love the whole overall style of play.  

We don’t have a pure, heavyweight face puncher but a plethora of guys who can skate, hit and muck it up.  

Horvat, Virtanen, Miller, Ferland, Roussel, Motte and Benn are tough customers.. and Edler once in a blue can really lay the body too.

If coach Green can get them flying around it should be an exciting group to watch. 

It will be an amazing team to watch.  Very flexible: beat you with finesse one day, then close-check, hit and goaltend you into the ice the next. 

Myers got the money, and Benn got the local thing going, but Ferland is the game changer, imo. If he stays healthy?  A different team entirely.

Now, in a long play-off run... Miller is probably the guy who tips the balance: secondary scoring is so big then.  I suspect that both Ferland and Miller will see their point totals go up.  

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jam126 said:

Yeah, fair. I'm just talking about people who are straight up analysing just the fighting ability of Ferland and not his hockey ability as much. And putting him in matchups with Gudbranson? It's not a productive conversation. I love what Ferland brings, he's a deterrent, a fighter when he needs to be, and a big hitter. But most important is his talent, and it irritates me that we're talking about his impact with his fists instead of his impact on the scoreboard.

That was kind of my thinking too BUT how long have we been looking for a player that could fight as well as snipe? 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

I think fans are going to be pleasantly surprised just how good Ferland is as a player.  

If he can play effectively with Aho and Gaudreau then he has some skill for sure.  Look how difficult it was to find a winger for Horvat, then Pettersson.  Or Crosby or McD for that matter.

3 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

I think ol Ed Jovanoski was the guy who most tried to take pepoles heads off..not most dangerous...but just trying to savagely connect a huge bomb.  The shot on Deadmarsh. ...ouch. 

He used to throw those wild roundhouses lol.  I remember not liking Deadmarsh - at all - but felt bad for him after he got rekt by Jovo.   Iirc, that was pretty much the end of Deadmarsh's NHL career.  

5 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Why can't we have both?

No headhunting...I agree.  Rather, enforcing the law of our team - which is: don't do it (mostly, mess with our young'uns).  It doesn't have to jump straight to fighting.  A staredown.  A nudge.  But then the willingness to take that next step if the other side isn't tuning in.

We MUST have that because, up to now, the word was out that we didn't.  And it's laughable (to those who do take liberties) because they hone right in on the superstar who makes them look bad knowing full well that they can get away with it.  It has to stop.

Personally, I hate fighting and cringe at the thought of the possibility of serious injury and concussion.  But we'll be at the receiving end of a lot of that if we don't step it up.  Deterrents.  Rather than an ongoing deal.

Ferland is the new Bieksa here.  Have you seen his stare down?  Lol, freezes water. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

We’re so used to signing role players and trying to force them up our weaker lineup and then being disappointed.  

This offseason feels different.  Not not only is the quality of our pickups at a higher level than in the past, they still aren’t expected to come in and carry the team. 

It’s easy to be optimistic in July, but I think we have good cause to be.

(Last sentence) "For a change.."

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

(Last sentence) "For a change.."

...yeah, I’ve been optimistic about top 6s and top 4s featuring Granlund (almost 20 goals!) Baertschi, Etem, Hutton, Goldobin, Rodin, Stecher etc etc... 

“This time it’ll be different!“  :) 

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, oldnews said:

He used to throw those wild roundhouses lol.  I remember not liking Deadmarsh - at all - but felt bad for him after he got rekt by Jovo.   Iirc, that was pretty much the end of Deadmarsh's NHL career.  

Ya that was definitely the start of the end for Deadmarsh. The concussion piled up after Jovocop took his soul. 

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/PIT/2019.html

19 games

+7

52 hits.

40.6% ozone starts.

54.7% corsi

Playoffs

4 games

1 goal

47.4% ozone starts.

56.4% corsi

Not bad for a "terrible nhl defenseman".

Folks around here might think differently in a year or two of Gudbranson not being paired with struggling tweeners, not playing on lineups missing the majority of their vital veteran hard-minutes guys (Edler, Tanev, Sutter, Beagle...)    Not many players look 'good' when stepping up in those circumstances - 'just sayin'.

Exactly. We didn't really put him into a great situation to succeed. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

We’re so used to signing role players and trying to force them up our weaker lineup and then being disappointed.  

This offseason feels different.  Not not only is the quality of our pickups at a higher level than in the past, they still aren’t expected to come in and carry the team. 

It’s easy to be optimistic in July, but I think we have good cause to be.

Miller and Ferland are head and shoulders above the other recent signings going back a few years now.  And unlike Vrbata and Vanek, these guys are not rentals or temps. Miller would have been enough to make me optimistic -- we have so wanted secondary scoring here -- but Myers and Benn make a difference to our weakest area.  

Ferland is just bonus.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

I love the whole overall style of play.  

We don’t have a pure, heavyweight face puncher but a plethora of guys who can skate, hit and muck it up.  

Horvat, Virtanen, Miller, Ferland, Roussel, Motte and Benn are tough customers.. and Edler once in a blue can really lay the body too.

If coach Green can get them flying around it should be an exciting group to watch. 

When I think of Ferland, I think of a relentless forechecker.  The team needed that - in the form of guys that are skilled enough to play in the top 6.

They got not one, but two of these guys this summer - on great deals - that gives Green various options, ensuring that they have someone to fill that role on EP's line  - some size, speed, physicality, space-making, goes to the net and hard areas - exactly what was needed, between the whistles.

The bonus with Ferland is that he wears on, wears down opponents bluelines - and the fact he's tough in terms of standing up is a bonus.  I don't really want to see him having to scrap too often - both for the sake of his personal health, and the team's durability, but just that presence alone makes a difference imo.  Is a weasel like Kadri as likely to take liberties when there is a guy who will feed him his teeth on the ice?  Not as likely.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Exactly. We didn't really put him into a great situation to succeed. 

I was hoping we'd keep him around until the team was improved and see what he looked like on a healthier, deeper Canucks team - but having added Myers, Ferland, Pearson, Miller, Benn, it's a bit easier to let go of Gud being gone.  I think people around here generally put on the fishbowl blinders and decided he 'sucks' - I really doubt that's how Gudbranson's career looks in the longer run.  Anyhow - I just wish he'd gone to a team I like, but whatever, I'd still like to see the guy succeed - he seems like such a standup person - and he has a great toolbox to go with a level-head - it seems like he's already benefitted from a few minor tweaks in Pittsburgh.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

In the Sedins era, top line was Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

If Pettersson as the new Henrik, Boeser as the new Daniel, Ferland could be the Burrows.

Hope that line clicks and Ferland could still get his game to another level by scoring 50+ points.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Fighting/intimidation is a big part of the game. If it wasn't, players wouldn't be choke slamming rookies to the ice with nothing to fear. Petterson needs to feel free to play his game and not be headhunted. When you get intimidating players who can throw down on your side, it allows the skilled to play

• Upvote 1