The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Micheal Ferland

30 minutes ago, Rink on Renfrew said:

I’m super happy with the Ferland signing it’s about time we employ a hard forchecking style, it going to go a long ways towards giving our skilled players more turnovers to jump on. We were lacking both Ferland and Millers skillset. I’m happy JB picked up these two players.

Yup.  I think he gets a solid B+ to A- this off season.  His best off season to date.  Just need to lock in Boeser and we are good to go.

• Cheers 1

• -AJ- unfeatured this topic
4 hours ago, Rink on Renfrew said:

I beg to differ, Edler was our best defence-man last year, hands down. It’s not even close. I truly don’t understand how someone can put Stetcher in the same realm? Edler was head and shoulders above Stetcher offensively and much more competent defensively & on the PK. Why doesn’t Edler get any respect on here? Especially since he just became our franchise leading scorer. I really like Troy as a player and I’m happy with his growth but let’s not put him on Edlers level.

I was also very happy to see Stetcher make Team Canada for the WHC but he was sheltered and practically sat durning the last 10 minutes of the important games. You can blame AV for his coaching decisions but he was not playing exceptionally well defensively.

Agreed, Stecher is a great player to have but Edler proved his worth last year - win/lose record when he was healthy/injured was clear as day last year. I hope the added depth allows him to play less heavy minutes and remain healthy....a healthy Edler and the vastly improved schedule (compared to the last two years) could end up being two of the biggest positives this season.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Rink on Renfrew said:

I beg to differ, Edler was our best defence-man last year, hands down. It’s not even close. I truly don’t understand how someone can put Stetcher in the same realm? Edler was head and shoulders above Stetcher offensively and much more competent defensively & on the PK. Why doesn’t Edler get any respect on here? Especially since he just became our franchise leading scorer. I really like Troy as a player and I’m happy with his growth but let’s not put him on Edlers level.

I was also very happy to see Stetcher make Team Canada for the WHC but he was sheltered and practically sat durning the last 10 minutes of the important games. You can blame AV for his coaching decisions but he was not playing exceptionally well defensively.

Some people have no idea what they are watching I suppose. As you say, Edler was by far our best defense man in every way.

Stecher is a 3rd pairing d man.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Some people have no idea what they are watching I suppose. As you say, Edler was by far our best defense man in every way.

:towel:

17 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Stecher is a 3rd pairing d man.

:blink:

:bigblush:

12 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Washington was not on a 'downslide'.  That is ridiculous.

Hoglander will have already started his year in the SHL someone else here already said. He won't be at training camp.

Washington didn't have Green, they didn't have some of the pieces they used to have.  I'm not saying they didn't deserve to win, but the team they had didn't do as well for points as the teams they had had before.  I don't think they were as good a team.  They were on a downslide, it continued the year after and will again this year.  You can be less than you were the year before and still win the cup.  The previous teams (there were 2 really fine Washington teams a few years back): they were better and should have won.  The competition was probably better, maybe they were unlucky.   The Islanders were on a downslide the last time they won the cup, the teams they had before were better.  You can win the cup and not be as good as you were the year before.  Easier to show this, of course, when the previous year's team ALSO won the cup.  Look at our Canucks team the last time we won the President's Trophy.  Fantastic team, but went out in the first round.  Getting long in the tooth, Torts saw this, as did many others.

Edited by gameburn

7 hours ago, Rink on Renfrew said:

Stecher was better: better plus minus, and played more games.  The reason we have statistics is to try to do better than habit or prejudice.  The habit is to think of Edler as a top-2 D, the prejudice is to think he really is a first rate defender.  

Plus-minus stats matter -- especially for defenders.   I don't care if Edler got a few more points per game than Stecher, if he also gave up many more goals per game than Stecher.    Forwards get more points than Defenders, does that mean that forwards who have more points than defenders are better defenders too?   Edler blocks a lot of shots and hits a lot of players in his own end because he is more prone to letting players into his end with the puck.  More likely to be chasing than intercepting.  How many times last year did we see an attacking forward simply chase down pucks that started out being closer to Edler?   It would be like saying a medical doctor is better than another doctor because he puts more stitches in a patient, or does more operations -- maybe the doctor just doesn't help his patients prevent illness enough, or deal with symptoms earlier, etc. 

In terms of the eye test: Stecher had fewer really bad games than Edler.  

Edited by gameburn
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 3

Stecher has shown me nothing special, to be honest. He is a decent, solid defenseman who is really a 3rd pairing guy on a good defense. He is a little of this and some of that.  He has solid advanced stats... better than almost all our blueliners if I recall. But unless he shows more, thats all he is. Maybe with the ability to sub up if need be?

Guys like Ferland, Myers (as unsold as I am on his defense) and Miller support play on the ice.  These guys are what we sorely needed.

We are still underskilled at this point, imo.  Bo now has 2nd line winger options - but he can support better wingers. Here's hoping Benning found more gems in the draft.

I do love the Ferland signing.  If he can stay healthy - this is one of the better signings of JB's tenure. This dude causes HAVOC at one hell of a good price.

Edited by kloubek
  • Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Rink on Renfrew said:

I’m super happy with the Ferland signing it’s about time we employ a hard forchecking style, it going to go a long ways towards giving our skilled players more turnovers to jump on. We were lacking both Ferland and Millers skillset. I’m happy JB picked up these two players.

This team reminds me of a team able to play AVs hard and fast style, but has more bite and size. I hope green takes a page out of that book because our cup finals team was one of the most exciting fast paced teams the Canucks have ever had. I remember watching them during the reg season and how they could just step the game up to an extra level when behind, and could come back, and when up they would hit the accelerator and go for the jugular. 

This group can be better given the depth imho. 

Edited by 18W-40C-6W
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, kloubek said:

Stecher has shown me nothing special, to be honest. He is a decent, solid defenseman who is really a 3rd pairing guy on a good defense. He is a little of this and some of that.  He has solid advanced stats... better than almost all our blueliners if I recall. But unless he shows more, thats all he is. Maybe with the ability to sub up if need be?

Guys like Ferland, Myers (as unsold as I am on his defense) and Miller support play on the ice.  These guys are what we sorely needed.

We are still underskilled at this point, imo.  Bo now has 2nd line winger options - but he can support better wingers. Here's hoping Benning found more gems in the draft.

I do love the Ferland signing.  If he can stay healthy - this is one of the better signings of JB's tenure. This dude causes HAVOC at one hell of a good price.

His potential may be a third pairing, but he is a big part of the heart on this team now and more so going forward.  He's a true canuck through and through.  He bleeds blue, green and white.  We win with guys like this.  

Edited by Hogs & Podz

15 hours ago, cory40 said:

I do.

me too! 

it's crazy that some fans are ready to give up on this kid. He's 21 years old. He's had a rough start to his career, but I think he's going to be a pretty good player and solid defensive prospect for us. I get the sense that he's going to receive a few callups from the Canucks, and he will slowly transition to the big club. It's development. It's small steps for Juolevi before he makes the big jump to the NHL. 

with this being said, i hope Juolevi doesn't turn out to be another version of Julius Honka :o

7 hours ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

This team reminds me of a team able to play AVs hard and fast style, but has more bite and size. I hope green takes a page out of that book because our cup finals team was one of the most exciting fast paced teams the Canucks have ever had. I remember watching them during the reg season and how they could just step the game up to an extra level when behind, and could come back, and when up they would hit the accelerator and go for the jugular. 

This group can be better given the depth imho. 

It is funny you say that because in the regular season in 2011-2012, we would be behind in many games but I still knew the Canucks would win. It seemed effortless the way they were able to just cruise around the ice for two periods and then just decide it was time to win the game.

Unfortunately they were built for the regular season as we saw when it got to the playoffs that year.

Edited by Kanukfanatic

10 hours ago, kloubek said:

What kills Stetcher is that he has an absolute muffin as a shot. It's not great at all. He is like you said a great 3rd pairing Dman, but i'd even say top 4 if he could get his shot working better for him. He's so mobile and calm with the puck, fearless really. If you added a good shot to that mix he gets into the top 4. I don't know if anyone else has ever noticed, but he uses and extremely small stick! It looks so small even for his size. Maybe it's just me? No wonder his shot is terrible with that beaver tail of a stick! I wish he would use something a bit longer even just to allow for better puck breaks ups and add some extra reach. It may even improve his shot.

Edited by Attila Umbrus
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

It is funny you say that because in the regular season in 2011-2012, we would be behind in many games but I still knew the Canucks would win. It seemed effortless the way they were able to just cruise around the ice for two periods and then just decide it was time to win the game.

Unfortunately they were built for the regular season as we saw when it got to the playoffs that year.

I think it was less about being a reg season team and more about losing our most important goal scorer a week before the playoffs started

Edited by MattJVD
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, MattJVD said:

I think it was less about being a reg season team and more about losing our most important goal scorer a week before the playoffs started

Partly.  But we have seen other teams lose some vital pieces and still not totally flame out. What a team though!!  :towel:

22 hours ago, 2009cupchamps said:

Sorry, but if you think Stecher is better than Edler you might want to start following a new sport. Hockey might not be the sport for you. 

I'm not the only one who thought Stecher was better than Edler last year.  A couple of the writers said as much in the post-season interviews.  

Edler's contract says it too: you don't give 2-year contracts to your number 1 D.  Never.  Or is it that he is injured and too old that's the problem? Can a guy be old enough to not be signable for more than 2 years and be your best D?  Stecher and Hutton carried a LOT of minutes last year.  So many in Hutton's case that they couldn't afford to risk letting him go to arbitration.  Where was Edler?  Missing in action, like Tanev.  

Take a look at CBC commentary (Hrudey in particular) they are aware that he had some very uneven performances.  Hrudey went out his way to mention that "Edler finally had a good game." Edler cost us not only the 30 games he was MIA, but at least 6 others where he couldn't catch up to the play.

Not being able to play matters as much as playing poorly.  He did some of the latter and a lot of the former.  30 games he missed last year.  At the crucial times.

• Haha 2
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1