The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Micheal Ferland

30 minutes ago, gameburn said:

I'm not the only one who thought Stecher was better than Edler last year.  A couple of the writers said as much in the post-season interviews.  

Edler's contract says it too: you don't give 2-year contracts to your number 1 D.  Never.  Or is it that he is injured and too old that's the problem? Can a guy be old enough to not be signable for more than 2 years and be your best D?  Stecher and Hutton carried a LOT of minutes last year.  So many in Hutton's case that they couldn't afford to risk letting him go to arbitration.  Where was Edler?  Missing in action, like Tanev.  

Take a look at CBC commentary (Hrudey in particular) they are aware that he had some very uneven performances.  Hrudey went out his way to mention that "Edler finally had a good game." Edler cost us not only the 30 games he was MIA, but at least 6 others where he couldn't catch up to the play.

Not being able to play matters as much as playing poorly.  He did some of the latter and a lot of the former.  30 games he missed last year.  At the crucial times.

Stecher did well to prove he can play a top 4 role last year (solid '#4D' IMO).

He can't hold a candle to Edler though.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, gameburn said:

I'm not the only one who thought Stecher was better than Edler last year.  A couple of the writers said as much in the post-season interviews.  

Edler's contract says it too: you don't give 2-year contracts to your number 1 D.  Never.  Or is it that he is injured and too old that's the problem? Can a guy be old enough to not be signable for more than 2 years and be your best D?  Stecher and Hutton carried a LOT of minutes last year.  So many in Hutton's case that they couldn't afford to risk letting him go to arbitration.  Where was Edler?  Missing in action, like Tanev.  

Take a look at CBC commentary (Hrudey in particular) they are aware that he had some very uneven performances.  Hrudey went out his way to mention that "Edler finally had a good game." Edler cost us not only the 30 games he was MIA, but at least 6 others where he couldn't catch up to the play.

Not being able to play matters as much as playing poorly.  He did some of the latter and a lot of the former.  30 games he missed last year.  At the crucial times.

Where is the source of actual hockey people that thought Stecher is better than Edler.  That is asinine.

And Edler got a two year contract so that the Canucks don't have to protect him in expansion. He gets another contract with a NMC after that. Seems pretty simple.

How ridiculous that some idiot low IQ talking head says stecher is better haha.  Good god...:frantic:  Talk about supposed hockey people, if they even said that, having no knowledge about hockey at all.  Anyway, I never heard that anywhere.

Oh yeah....did you notice hutton was so great last year with all those minutes you talk about no team wants to even sign him? Hrudey is mostly a drunken idiot. Silly narrative imo.  :picard:

Where are the sources for you statement?

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Cheers 1

On 7/10/2019 at 5:13 PM, Sweathog said:

I imagine Tkachuk will be quiet as a church mouse playing the Canucks this year.

I doubt that. Not in Tkachuk blood lines to be that way. I watched his dad get drafted and now both younger ones. Great players. With lots of heart. 

4 hours ago, Silver Ghost said:

Name one hockey player who doesnt have "uneven performances".

Edler is not a #1 dman, but he is OUR #1 dman. Maybe Hughes will be able to develop into that guy. But one thing is certain: Stecher isn't and neither is Hutton.

Edler gets way too much flack on cdc. Its not his fault that he would be a great #2 guy on a team and has been miscast and forced to be a #1. 

You are right.

Stecher is way better at being a  #5 Dman than Edler is at being a #1 Dman!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Where is the source of actual hockey people that thought Stecher is better than Edler.  That is asinine.

And Edler got a two year contract so that the Canucks don't have to protect him in expansion. He gets another contract with a NMC after that. Seems pretty simple.

How ridiculous that some idiot low IQ talking head says stecher is better haha.  Good god...:frantic:  Talk about supposed hockey people, if they even said that, having no knowledge about hockey at all.  Anyway, I never heard that anywhere.

Oh yeah....did you notice hutton was so great last year with all those minutes you talk about no team wants to even sign him? Hrudey is mostly a drunken idiot. Silly narrative imo.  :picard:

Where are the sources for you statement?

Edler played a lot of bad hockey a few years back, right up until this last year. Giveaways, yielding the zone too easily -- a lot of this. I won't deny what I saw, and I wasn't the only one to see this: these forums are filled with comments to that effect -- especially from 4 years back to a year ago.  It simply is not the case that we all thought he was great, a natural number or two, and a stalwart we should keep around til he retires, as if he was a Sedin.  In fact, Edler hating was a regular pastime here.  He seems to have played better this last year, which seems remarkable for a player over 30. I have no idea how he turned it around, maybe motivation, maybe better players around him. Maybe being out for 30 games lets you play better in the games you are in, not sure.  I still think of him as capable of falling back to that level.  I assumed that age and the fact that his play was less reliable before was a factor in the length of his contract.  

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/how-much-has-alex-edler-declined.2150787/

For the sake of my ignorance: please explain why a shorter contract evades the Seattle expansion situation.  

6 hours ago, Silver Ghost said:

Name one hockey player who doesnt have "uneven performances".

Edler is not a #1 dman, but he is OUR #1 dman. Maybe Hughes will be able to develop into that guy. But one thing is certain: Stecher isn't and neither is Hutton.

Edler gets way too much flack on cdc. Its not his fault that he would be a great #2 guy on a team and has been miscast and forced to be a #1. 

He is hard to watch: wouldn't pass enough to Pettersson on the pp (we all noticed that.) Couldn't seem to avoid pounding the puck into defenders shin pads -- especially on the pp.  Seemed to break a stick every 4th shift.  Seemed to let the quicker forwards enter the zone far too easily.  Lack of foot speed hurts.  And a resistance to being traded for a prospect, wouldn't waive the NTC/NMC (this probably weighed on us a bit.)

On the positive side: he made fewer giveaways this last year, and scored a surprising number of goals/main assists.  (Still don't like his plus-minus numbers though.)

Did Edler provide any protection to the younger players?  Can't remember him doing that, was left to Boeser and Gudbranson if I remember right, or no one.  He may have been out of the lineup the night of the Matheson fiasco.  Can't recall. But a supposed top-2D would do more, imo

36 minutes ago, gameburn said:

Edler played a lot of bad hockey a few years back, right up until this last year. Giveaways, yielding the zone too easily -- a lot of this. I won't deny what I saw, and I wasn't the only one to see this: these forums are filled with comments to that effect -- especially from 4 years back to a year ago.  It simply is not the case that we all thought he was great, a natural number or two, and a stalwart we should keep around til he retires, as if he was a Sedin.  In fact, Edler hating was a regular pastime here.  He seems to have played better this last year, which seems remarkable for a player over 30. I have no idea how he turned it around, maybe motivation, maybe better players around him. Maybe being out for 30 games lets you play better in the games you are in, not sure.  I still think of him as capable of falling back to that level.  I assumed that age and the fact that his play was less reliable before was a factor in the length of his contract.  

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/how-much-has-alex-edler-declined.2150787/

For the sake of my ignorance: please explain why a shorter contract evades the Seattle expansion situation.  

I think Edler has come around from those back issues he was having a earlier in his career. It really hampered him and caused a lot of inconsistencies. I remember the same thing as you. Lemon for most of his contract only to show up at the end and sign another deal. But that was a while ago now. I think we're seeing a different beast all together. Edler has changed since the Sedins left. I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed? He's way more engaged now, he doesn't sit back, he's in interviews now, he's a vocal leader in the locker room. He's really come out of his shell and is the leader on that blue line. He looks way more engaged than he ever has at any point of his career...IMO The Edler of old days is gone. If keeps playing the way he does I could see him playing at least 5 more years in this league. 

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, gameburn said:

He is hard to watch: wouldn't pass enough to Pettersson on the pp (we all noticed that.) Couldn't seem to avoid pounding the puck into defenders shin pads -- especially on the pp.  Seemed to break a stick every 4th shift.  Seemed to let the quicker forwards enter the zone far too easily.  Lack of foot speed hurts.  And a resistance to being traded for a prospect, wouldn't waive the NTC/NMC (this probably weighed on us a bit.)

On the positive side: he made fewer giveaways this last year, and scored a surprising number of goals/main assists.  (Still don't like his plus-minus numbers though.)

Did Edler provide any protection to the younger players?  Can't remember him doing that, was left to Boeser and Gudbranson if I remember right, or no one.  He may have been out of the lineup the night of the Matheson fiasco.  Can't recall. But a supposed top-2D would do more, imo

I think that in part is also him just getting used to the new roster. You get the puck to the guys you have chemistry with. By the end of the season he was passing it more and more to Petey on the PP. And we were all finally rejoicing on here lol. Maybe it was more a case of just building a bit of trust with Petey? Hopefully we don't see the same thing to start this season. I don't think we will. I am ready for Hughes to be our defensive pivot on the point, but Green will make him earn it first. So probably Edler to start the season and Hughes by the end of season.

• Upvote 1

If Edler sticks to playing "D" and let's the goaltender do his job rather than Edler playing goal and screening the goaltender, then his performance will immediately improve...he needs to box out better and focus on the players around the net rather than focusing on the puck and playing goaltender.

Ferland on the other had, will be a deterrent to others taking liberties against our star players as will JT Miller...

If Tryamkin comes back, then he too will be a deterrent...

JB looked around the league for an enforcer who can play the game and produce on the score sheet and got the best one available in Ferland. In otherwords, he got the biggest bang for the buck in targeting this type of player...the player now needs to play a physical game, produce on the score sheet, stick up for his team mates, and stay healthy...all for $3.5M per. This is a good signing if all these things happen...on par with the JT Miller trade.

6 hours ago, gameburn said:

Edler should not be on the top PP unit imo. He shouldn't have been for years now but, like I said, he has been forced into playing the role of #1 D. He lacks the creativity to be a top pp guy, especially now when changing the effectiveness of the PP is a different beast than it was when it was simply about the Sedins controlling the play. It has more weapons now, and as such needs new more effective players manning the point. 

This is where hopefully the emergence of Hughes and the signing of Myers can have a ripple effect. Perhaps they can take more if those PP minutes and allow Edler to focus more on his 5 on 5 play and as a PK guy. 

Not wanting to be traded was his right. He exercised it. And thank god in lot of ways. Where would the D have been without him?

Sticking up for teammates physically has never been Edler's game. No one should call him out for that. Not every top 2 dman in the league does that. Actually very few do. Because they are more valuable to their team on the ice than they are in the box or injured. Players have roles for a reason.

Edited by Silver Ghost
  • Cheers 2

WTF? I come to read the Ferland thread, only to find out that there's pages and pages of comments that have NOTHING to do with Ferland. And most recently a Stetcher/Edler argument has broken out. Is it that hard to stay on topic, or take that topic to the appropriate thread?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Drop Em said:

WTF? I come to read the Ferland thread, only to find out that there's pages and pages of comments that have NOTHING to do with Ferland. And most recently a Stetcher/Edler argument has broken out. Is it that hard to stay on topic, or take that topic to the appropriate thread?

Welcome to CDC, where tangents are common.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Drop Em said:

Lol oops. I just answer people. I should pay more attention to which thread i am in.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, gameburn said:

Now you are saying posters thought Edler didn't play well?  Come on....in your other post you said sports journalists or hockey people....not over sensitive Canuck fans thought he was bad.  Just at tad bit of a difference wouldn't you say?    Way to change it up :frantic:.

Edler has a two year contract. It ends just before the expansion draft. He won't be under contract with the Canucks so they won't have to protect him for the ED. They can sign him again after that to another, and probably last, contract with the Canucks. 

Edit: I love the Ferland deal and wanted him at the beginning of UFA. Thank god JB pulled it off!!

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Hutton Wink said:

Perhaps...

"Edler and Stecher are a top-15 pairing in the league" - JD Burke

JD Burke lol.

Plus Edler was very strong....stecher just happened to be his partner.

Edit: I just don't see stecher as anything but a 3rd pairing d right now. Could he continue to get better....sure.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Cheers 1

I just hope Ferland still plays his game. Seems like a lot of tougher guys who have come over to the Canucks over the years play a lot softer than when they were on other teams. Though I think the main reason for that was lack of team toughness and them having to do everything by themselves, and coaching. Green likes physical play so should be fine.

• Cheers 1