The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Micheal Ferland

20 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

JD Burke lol.

Plus Edler was very strong....stecher just happened to be his partner.

Edit: I just don't see stecher as anything but a 3rd pairing d right now. Could he continue to get better....sure.

IMO the heavier forward group will make Edler's game even better. He plays a heavy game already and has a touch of meanness as well. Subtle at times. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 5:56 AM, Attila Umbrus said:

I think that in part is also him just getting used to the new roster. You get the puck to the guys you have chemistry with. By the end of the season he was passing it more and more to Petey on the PP. And we were all finally rejoicing on here lol. Maybe it was more a case of just building a bit of trust with Petey? Hopefully we don't see the same thing to start this season. I don't think we will. I am ready for Hughes to be our defensive pivot on the point, but Green will make him earn it first. So probably Edler to start the season and Hughes by the end of season.

Your explanation makes sense.  There were a lot of new players in the lineup -- especially Pettersson of course.  And Edler missed some games fairly early.

Your explanation also makes sense of how a guy into his 30s could improve his game so much.  He really was a different player last year.

• Cheers 1

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 11:38 AM, Silver Ghost said:

Edler should not be on the top PP unit imo. He shouldn't have been for years now but, like I said, he has been forced into playing the role of #1 D. He lacks the creativity to be a top pp guy, especially now when changing the effectiveness of the PP is a different beast than it was when it was simply about the Sedins controlling the play. It has more weapons now, and as such needs new more effective players manning the point. 

This is where hopefully the emergence of Hughes and the signing of Myers can have a ripple effect. Perhaps they can take more if those PP minutes and allow Edler to focus more on his 5 on 5 play and as a PK guy. 

Not wanting to be traded was his right. He exercised it. And thank god in lot of ways. Where would the D have been without him?

Sticking up for teammates physically has never been Edler's game. No one should call him out for that. Not every top 2 dman in the league does that. Actually very few do. Because they are more valuable to their team on the ice than they are in the box or injured. Players have roles for a reason.

I think you have it about right, imo: not a top-2 guy, but has had to carry that role for a few years now.  This would cause any decent 3,4,5,6 defender to look less than stellar on some nights. Proof of what you are saying is that he seems to take more penalties when he is matched against the other team's top line. 

I think that when we needed Edler most was this last year.  And possibly this year coming up.  For this year: a lot of players will have to get used to all the changes -- Edler is kind of used to craziness.  He will be a rock, I think.  I hope. 

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 2:30 PM, Kanukfanatic said:

Now you are saying posters thought Edler didn't play well?  Come on....in your other post you said sports journalists or hockey people....not over sensitive Canuck fans thought he was bad.  Just at tad bit of a difference wouldn't you say?    Way to change it up :frantic:.

Edler has a two year contract. It ends just before the expansion draft. He won't be under contract with the Canucks so they won't have to protect him for the ED. They can sign him again after that to another, and probably last, contract with the Canucks. 

Edit: I love the Ferland deal and wanted him at the beginning of UFA. Thank god JB pulled it off!!

Thanks for the explanation on the contract/Seattle thing.  I couldn't remember what the date was for the special draft they do for it.  It would have to be between seasons, so if his contract has ended at that point, yes, you are right: he is not our concern.  

Re: others on Edlers alleged poor play.  I didn't have the patience to go back through CBC's commentary/after game summaries.  But I do recall Hrudey and Kyprios just assuming that Edler hadn't been good lately.  Here's one by Botchford. where he states that the entire D needs to be rethought, and that only 4 players on the team can win games, Boeser, Horvat, EP40 and "a goalie."  

https://theathletic.com/834387/2019/02/24/the-athletties-the-state-of-the-rebuild-edlers-contract-and-the-draft-picks-proclamation/

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, gameburn said:

Thanks for the explanation on the contract/Seattle thing.  I couldn't remember what the date was for the special draft they do for it.  It would have to be between seasons, so if his contract has ended at that point, yes, you are right: he is not our concern.  

Re: others on Edlers alleged poor play.  I didn't have the patience to go back through CBC's commentary/after game summaries.  But I do recall Hrudey and Kyprios just assuming that Edler hadn't been good lately.  Here's one by Botchford. where he states that the entire D needs to be rethought, and that only 4 players on the team can win games, Boeser, Horvat, EP40 and "a goalie."  

https://theathletic.com/834387/2019/02/24/the-athletties-the-state-of-the-rebuild-edlers-contract-and-the-draft-picks-proclamation/

The Vegas expansion draft was held on June 21, 2017.  The NHL draft then went ahead on June 23/24.

FYI.

I had to look up the actual dates...I couldn't remember how long before the NHL draft the ED draft took place.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, gameburn said:

I think you have it about right, imo: not a top-2 guy, but has had to carry that role for a few years now.  This would cause any decent 3,4,5,6 defender to look less than stellar on some nights. Proof of what you are saying is that he seems to take more penalties when he is matched against the other team's top line. 

I think that when we needed Edler most was this last year.  And possibly this year coming up.  For this year: a lot of players will have to get used to all the changes -- Edler is kind of used to craziness.  He will be a rock, I think.  I hope. 

I saw someone (i forget who) post on here that Edler seemed to step more into the role of calm veteran when the Sedins retired. I never really thought about thst but its sort of true really. 

If Hughes can progress into that top D and Myers can step up with more responsibility and opportunity as he claims he wants to, I really think Edler and Tanev for that matter could settle in even more and be more consistently effective when not stretched too far. Art least I hope so. And i hope it helps limit the injuries too.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Just played in the National Ball Hockey tournameny in Montreal.

Ferland was playing for the Winnepeg Players.. 7 points 4g 3a in 4 games. They didnt make playoffs.

Message to Ferklund: 

Hey Micheal (cool spelling btw), that's awesome that you're doing things you love in the off season, we hope you're training hard! But, we desperately need you in the lineup, every night if possible, so please, puhleeze don't pull a Sami Salo. Mkay thx.

Signed,

Canuck Nation

#samisaloachilles2010ballhockey

Edited by Sophomore Jinx
  • Cheers 1

18 hours ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

Message to Ferklund: 

Hey Micheal (cool spelling btw), that's awesome that you're doing things you love in the off season, we hope you're training hard! But, we desperately need you in the lineup, every night if possible, so please, puhleeze don't pull a Sami Salo. Mkay thx.

Signed,

Canuck Nation

#samisaloachilles2010ballhockey

Burrows played ball hockey every summer. It's good cardio, so hopefully that means Ferland has a good motor all year much like Burrows did.

• Cheers 1

On 7/18/2019 at 7:37 PM, gameburn said:

I'm not the only one who thought Stecher was better than Edler last year.  A couple of the writers said as much in the post-season interviews.  

Edler's contract says it too: you don't give 2-year contracts to your number 1 D.  Never.  Or is it that he is injured and too old that's the problem? Can a guy be old enough to not be signable for more than 2 years and be your best D?  Stecher and Hutton carried a LOT of minutes last year.  So many in Hutton's case that they couldn't afford to risk letting him go to arbitration.  Where was Edler?  Missing in action, like Tanev.  

Take a look at CBC commentary (Hrudey in particular) they are aware that he had some very uneven performances.  Hrudey went out his way to mention that "Edler finally had a good game." Edler cost us not only the 30 games he was MIA, but at least 6 others where he couldn't catch up to the play.

Not being able to play matters as much as playing poorly.  He did some of the latter and a lot of the former.  30 games he missed last year.  At the crucial times.

On 7/19/2019 at 5:08 AM, gameburn said:

Edler played a lot of bad hockey a few years back, right up until this last year. Giveaways, yielding the zone too easily -- a lot of this. I won't deny what I saw, and I wasn't the only one to see this: these forums are filled with comments to that effect -- especially from 4 years back to a year ago.  It simply is not the case that we all thought he was great, a natural number or two, and a stalwart we should keep around til he retires, as if he was a Sedin.  In fact, Edler hating was a regular pastime here.  He seems to have played better this last year, which seems remarkable for a player over 30. I have no idea how he turned it around, maybe motivation, maybe better players around him. Maybe being out for 30 games lets you play better in the games you are in, not sure.  I still think of him as capable of falling back to that level.  I assumed that age and the fact that his play was less reliable before was a factor in the length of his contract.  

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/how-much-has-alex-edler-declined.2150787/

For the sake of my ignorance: please explain why a shorter contract evades the Seattle expansion situation.  

Really - are you serious?  What 'writers said as much in the postseason interviews"?   Got one?

You didn't seriously just link an HF boards thread to qualify your opinion, did you?

A shorter term of two years expires right prior to the expansion draft - without the need/requirement to protect Edler - leaving an expansion protection spot open for the younger players on the roster - and enabling Edler to control his own destination - and likely preferring to remain here - it isn't that difficult to understand how that avoids both the risk of Edler landing in Seattle - if he had signed for longer term - and the need of the team to spend a protection spot on a 35 year old.  Edler meanwhile gets his NMC for the duration of this term, to the eve of expansion.  I think it's pretty straight forward actually. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Silver Ghost said:

Almost as bad as relying on anything Hrudey says about the Canucks. Dude's having mullet/headband flashbacks most of the time.

oh man I'd love to see Hrudy's pouty face if we end up doing better than Cowtown this year. Talbot :lol:

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Burrows played ball hockey every summer. It's good cardio, so hopefully that means Ferland has a good motor all year much like Burrows did.

Same league/tourny Burrows was picked up from. He played for the Montreal Black Knights.