The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Micheal Ferland

Just now, Metal Face Doom said:

I hope this is sarcasm because if it isn't, you're just hating for the sake of hating.  That's not to say all of Jim's signings have been great, they haven't been.  But this one was a great one.  

Pretty sure it was sarcasm.

2 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Great signing, Benning has figured out how to do UFA signings. Once he gets trades down pat we will be set. 

Haha this is so true.  Let's all take a moment now to realize that Myers and Ferland were signed at under market value by JB.  Easy if one of them completely drops off a cliff to say they were bad signings (by the revisionist historians), however at this point in time I think we can all realize we got great value for both of them.

Edited by Kobayashi Maru
  • Upvote 4

Just now, mll said:

The amount of cap space that can be banked with players on LTIR is pretty limited.  If they are unable to bank cap space the Canucks will have to be 3M under the cap to take him off LTIR. 

Yeah, but unless Roussel is way ahead of schedule, they have until December to figure that out. Also they are likely to have another injury or 2 to add to LTIR by that time.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

I wanted Meyers and Ferland and JB gave me exactly what I wanted! 

Plus Miller, this team is going to be big, fast, skilled and Nasty. I think Jake is going to learn a lot from Ferland as well. We all know players play “bigger” when someone takes that lead.

I’m hoping some of his Physicality rubs off on Bo as well, but thats not a major issue. But should Bo start using his size as more of a weapon, watch out! 

The way Bo crashes the net is more than enough for me.  Knowing Bo, he'll add hitting to his repertoire if he sees it as a necessary improvement.

• Upvote 3

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

Can they throw in something about how much better the Leafs do it too?   Just to round it out a bit?

It sure gets old and tired, doesn't it?

I mean, I would expect the team friendly deals and great fit of Ferland, Miller, Myers, and Benn would at least give Benning a moderate comfort level to now include a quality sweetener to get Eriksson offthe books and to trade a guy like Baertschi, Sutter, Goldobin, etc to recoup the prospect/pick he will be giving up.

I have had my complaints about Benning but I will say that this is the first summer where the puzzle picture is very clear in terms of what he is doing and why. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, billabong said:

Roussel LTIR boom fixed cap issue

whats the problem here? 

That they can hardly bank any cap space and will need to be 3M under to take him off LTIR.  Not necessarily easy to make a mid-season trade to find that cap space.

11 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

Chemistry?  I am sorry man.  To be perfectly honest.  They have zero chemistry.  Boeser is great and Petey is out of this world, but they have zero chemistry.  Goldobin and Petterson had chemistry.  Goldobin is not a good two way player though unfortunately.

Fixed it two way player being key word

3 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

Boeser had more goals in less games and less ice time without Petterson.  Pettersson is going to be a top 5 player in the league.  That doesn't make any sense from a talent standpoint.  

You watch them play and Boeser isn't great when he doesn't have the puck.  Pettersson is a phenom, so he is going to drive most if not all of the play on his line.  You don't play with two pucks.  Boeser didn't play well with the Sedin's either.  Although theoretically a shooting winger and an all-world center are a perfect fit.  In actuality Boeser doesn't play to his maximum potential with Pettersson.

Boeser was recovering from a significant injury and you can't really gauge what he was/wasn't (fully) in consideration of that.  Takes awhile to regain the confidence that you won't get slammed.  

There are goals where one guy knows where another's going to be/what he'll do - Petey and Brock are developing some of that.  Helps when there's also a friendship there...you're connected.

You may argue that Petey would/could've set up anything like this.  I think this is a direct result of their chemistry...and I expect more of it.

• Upvote 3