The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Micheal Ferland

2 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Continuing to build our team through free agency.  Ideal when desperate to make the playoffs, not ideal for long term, sustainable success.  We need Ferland I like the signing, I just wish we could undue 2 or 3 of our other terrible signings to make up for it.  Ah well, we'll see I guess

Why is UFA bad?

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Continuing to build our team through free agency.  Ideal when desperate to make the playoffs, not ideal for long term, sustainable success.  We need Ferland I like the signing, I just wish we could undue 2 or 3 of our other terrible signings to make up for it.  Ah well, we'll see I guess

That’s a fair enough take, but just because you have some regrettable contracts (Loui) doesn’t mean you turn down a deal.

Just because some are bad, not all FA signings hurt.

That said, something has to give before the season... we’ll see what it costs to make room. 

Edited by ilduce39
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Sutter, when healthy, is a huge part of the team and worth every penny.  After watching Beagle last year, I don't know how anyone would whine about his contract.  He's the bottom 6 anchor and when they make the playoffs, he will probably be the most important player not named Markstrom

Sutter and Beagle are now very important pieces to this team. We’re going to be in the post season. Those guys matter.

Erickson, Goldy, Schaller, Leivo are the guys who will be moved. That creates around $10 mil in cap on top of our $6 mil. 

Gaudette called up for injuries and if he’s showing he can supplant Sutter, Sutter is moved at the deadline. 

I don’t want to be overly optimistic as a lot of things would have to go right (few injuries, chemistry, great goaltending, young guys take big steps - QH, JV, EP, OJ) but if so the way this team is constructed they can literally push for a cup next year folks. 

Now it’s up to green to get the most out of these guys. If so, Sutter may remain. This team is built to go deep. It’s got every single piece, only lacking experience for our elite talent. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Wow...talk about a one dimensional opinion.

And it's not supper time yet...but maybe hanger is factoring in?

Ferland isn’t the guy that beat us up in the playoffs. The reason we got him for a such low cap hit is because we were the only team that gave him 4 years. Everyone else knows better. 

• Wat 1

7 minutes ago, dontaylorforprez said:

That’s what I was saying earlier.. I’d even throw in Sutter to add a little butter.. he’ll, throw in a late pick and we could almost have a deal.. heard Columbus needs help..? Would that be enough to land Jenner? Or would that be a “deep-bowled” pipe dream?

No, I think Jenner would cost more than that. Would love to add Jenner though. 

2 minutes ago, brownky said:

No kidding.

Jim Benning has one job: Make the hockey club better in the near and long term by whatever means or methods he feels are best. Preferably means and methods backed up by logic and common sense.

I see *nothing* from this offseason period that he has done poorly on so far. I genuinely think Meyers is a fantastic addition, especially for the money and the term, Miller will shine here and now with Ferland for that price tag... this has been one of the best off-seasons in probably around 20 years. The Luongo offseason was a pretty big deal too, I suppose.

The cost of 'disposing' of Loui and/or Schaller will hopefully not be entirely awful.

110 % agree - like I have said multiple times when I lived in Winnipeg back in 2017 I was fortunate enough to get free tickets to 8 Jets games (luckily 2 of them were against the Canucks so got to rock the blue and green proudly) and what does not translate on tv vs a live game is the foot speed of Myers. He is such a big guy he doesn't look like he is skating or appears slow on tv. Watching him live I became a big fan as he can move the puck, he can play the point and while he is not exceptionally physical he uses his stick much like Chara to defend. A lot of the hockey experts (not the blog clowns) such as Friedman, Kypreos, Dreger etc have lamented that he will be a top 2 guy and I agree.

• Upvote 1