The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Micheal Ferland

Petey is loving every minute of this offseason! Podz, Miller, Myers and Ferland is going to make us a whole lot harder to play against. Other teams won’t be making runs at him and thinking thy can get away with it anymore! If Tryamkin comes back as well, we are looking pretty good for the playoffs!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I think this is a decent signing. If Ferland can put up some numbers playing with Pettersson and Boeser he should be fine. One thing to note though is that Monahan and Gaudreau both saw their point totals rise by about 20 points when playing with E. Lindholm instead of Ferland. He's a good complimentary player for our two players, but I think someone with more offensive ability would be ideal long term.

We do have too much money tied up in non essential players though. Each deal individually is manageable (Beagle, Roussel, Sutter, Ferland, etc.) but it adds up quickly over time. Those players are good players and they do help us win, but there comparable players who aren't a significant downgrade on the ice while being a fraction of the cost. That's how teams like Washington, Pittsburgh, San Jose, St. Louis, etc. have their cap set up and they've been some of the best teams in the league the last little while. We need to be paying below market value in our bottom 6, not market value.

I think it's pretty much guaranteed that there will be more moves. We would be barely under the cap if we didn't make any more moves with Boeser at 7.5, Goldobin at 2 and Roussell on LTIR, but we would have to make a move when Roussell is healthy mid season. The most likely trade option is likely Sutter, but I'm not sure he can be dealt without retaining some of his salary. If we can find a way to stick it out until the deadline and just take the best pick available for him with retention, that would be ideal but I don't think we make it that long. Tanev could also still be moved, but it doesn't solve our logjam at forward. 

Fine for the regular season, but we saw what happened to that line in the playoffs without some sandpaper on it. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

Just now, Alflives said:

Stats support your opinion?  Show please. 

2016-17 19 VAN NHL 9 4 1 5 0 0 2 2 0 1 1 0 0 25 16.0 38 146 16:13 0 0   0 5 1 4  
2017-18 20 VAN NHL 62 29 26 55 -5 16 19 10 0 4 13 13 0 179 16.2 341 1085 17:30 10 29 25.6 24 29 26 28 Calder-2
2018-19 21 VAN NHL 69 26 30 56 -2 22 20 6 0 3 21 9 0 209 12.4 403 1322 19:10 39

Boeser without Pettersson shot 16% both years.  With him, he shot 12%.  Boeser played less minutes and less games.  Yet he scored more goals.  The instant reply well he was recovering from injury.  Petey is a phenom.  Shouldn't he have at least have gotten him back to average? or better?  Its really 70 games of analysis on side and the other, so you may say you need more time.  Thats right too, but when you combine it with seeing how they play on the ice; I think it makes it a reasonable thing to say that they lack chemistry right now.  The lack of chemistry is not from personality issues.  The lack of chemistry is from playing styles.

• Upvote 1