The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Micheal Ferland

6 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

I think this team is a playoff team now.  I would much prefer to keep Sutter and Beagle.  These are the types of players the Canucks would be trading for at the trade deadline.  This way no need to give up draft picks.  Inevitably there will be injuries, so the depth is needed.  Bo doesn't have to take defensive faceoffs.  He was noticeably tired in the 2nd half of the year having to take every draw.  If you are a playoff team, you have to think about being rested and ready to go in the playoffs.  Now the Canucks on paper are a playoff team.  No need to send Sutter or Beagle anywhere.

I hope we wouldn’t be trading for another player like Sutter, nor should we keep him - the heart is willing but the flesh is weak - too often hurt. The best way to minimize the inevitable injuries is to bring in players that are not often hurt.

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

@Squamfan just shared this in an Eriksson thread...  this could be fantastic.

There is something missing here because I am pretty sure after Chicago traded Huet to Europe the NHL came in and shut that loophole to prevent any other team from doing it.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

I know there is a group that will hate the Meyers deal no matter what but hard to argue against $ and term for all these deals

Screw those whiners. We got most of an NHL Line-up this year boys!

• Upvote 1

Just now, canuckledraggin said:

You should change your name to Future Man. Hilarious show, but you... not so much.

That could be a pretty funny persona.. one of those Russian animatronic fortune tellers constantly foretelling cap doom “3-4 years from now”

• Haha 1

Just now, Ray_Cathode said:

I hope we wouldn’t be trading for another player like Sutter, nor should we keep him - the heart is willing but the flesh is weak - too often hurt. The best way to minimize the inevitable injuries is to bring in players that are not often hurt.

On a better, puck possession PIT team he was damn near injury free.

We're a better, puck possession team after this summer.

• Cheers 1

So I just read the Sportsnet article on offseason team improvement power rankings.  We’re 14th and laffs are top 10.  We should probably be #5 on any list this offseason but yah looks like canucks are going to be showing a lot of idiots up this year.

oh btw the Oilers were one spot behind us.  THE &^@#ING OILERS!!!!!

Edited by Rindiculous
  • Haha 1

Just now, Ray_Cathode said:

He has very little value in a trade right now.  When healthy, he is a good defensive centerman.  If he plays 50-60 games by the deadline then he will be very easy to trade.  If he doesn't then he still may be healthy by the playoffs and be a useful healthy body.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Rindiculous said:

So I just read the Sportsnet article on offseason team improvement power rankings.  We’re 14th and laffs are top 10.  We should probably be #5 on any list this offseason but yah looks like canucks are going to be showing a lot of idiots up this year

Love being the underdog.  This team when completed (I don't think Benning is finished) will earn respect around the league.  Since 2011 I personally embrace the hate from pundits and around the league.   Pieces of ****  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

he was almost never injured before coming to Van........I think that was one of the things they liked about him.

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Eventually cap will become a problem and we might have to throw in sweeteners to get rid of it (some already talking about it with the Sutter and Eriksson deals, for example).

A few less of those questionable contracts and the cap situation would look a lot cleaner.

Hard to complain about this signing, though, as it's a free player for under market value.

Luongo's cap hit doesn't help either. Neither did the Gagner signing -> Trade for Spooner -> buyout. Or Eriksson.  

Benning's made some bone-headed decisions but I don't think Ferland @ 3.5/year is one of them. It's a fine number even if he regresses to a third line player like Brandon Tanev. 

It doesn't look like the Canucks are in any need to sweeten up contracts to get rid of this year at least, unless Boeser gets way more than I expect. 

• Upvote 1