The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Micheal Ferland

1 minute ago, Duodenum said:

Luongo's cap hit doesn't help either. Neither did the Gagner signing -> Trade for Spooner -> buyout. Or Eriksson.  

Benning's made some bone-headed decisions but I don't think Ferland @ 3.5/year is one of them. It's a fine number even if he regresses to a third line player like Brandon Tanev. 

It doesn't look like the Canucks are in any need to sweeten up contracts to get rid of this year at least, unless Boeser gets way more than I expect. 

I wonder if Boeser will take a bit less for the cause - maybe Benning already knows this.  

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

110 % agree - like I have said multiple times when I lived in Winnipeg back in 2017 I was fortunate enough to get free tickets to 8 Jets games (luckily 2 of them were against the Canucks so got to rock the blue and green proudly) and what does not translate on tv vs a live game is the foot speed of Myers. He is such a big guy he doesn't look like he is skating or appears slow on tv. Watching him live I became a big fan as he can move the puck, he can play the point and while he is not exceptionally physical he uses his stick much like Chara to defend. A lot of the hockey experts (not the blog clowns) such as Friedman, Kypreos, Dreger etc have lamented that he will be a top 2 guy and I agree.

Calder winner as a 19 year old defenceman. It's not like the skill he has just crawled up into a hole and died. If I recall, during his Buffalo season he wound up being paired with very-defensive defenceman Henrik Tallinder for a fair chunk of it. 

If he's allowed to *be* an offensive defenceman, he'll be huge for us. Just needs a competent and steady defensive d-partner. 

If he has to 'be' the defensive guy, he's going to look bad. Pairing him with a Byfuglin or a Trouba, who are usually found somewhere around the other teams' net, and he'll look like an oaf. Kind of like when we relied on Edler to get the point shot on the powerplay, it ended up in shin pads and a shortie in the other way. 

6 minutes ago, Borvat said:

Love being the underdog.  This team when completed (I don't think Benning is finished) will earn respect around the league.  Since 2011 I personally embrace the hate from pundits and around the league.   Pieces of ****  

My old avatar says it all:

20pc8pz.jpg

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Provost said:

I guess this completely shuts the door on any Lucic for Eriksson rumours.

It had some merit because we had need of Lucic’s remaining skill set.  Now we have it in the form of a cheaper player.

...and one that can still get around the ice and play.  Same term, younger, almost half the cost.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

So I just read the Sportsnet article on offseason team improvement power rankings.  We’re 14th and laffs are top 10.  We should probably be #5 on any list this offseason but yah looks like canucks are going to be showing a lot of idiots up this year

SN and TSN probably believe that by bringing in Barrie, he will be the missing link to their Cup dreams. But the Leafs lost a bit of grit and toughness, which is required in the playoffs. Ceci will be decent, but they lost Gardiner, Hainsey and Zaitsev. Spezza should be okay, but he's not much better than Marleau, if at all. Losing Kadri, the Leafs are now exposed for a beating lol  That forward group is Charmin soft.

Canucks are now a big, bad playoff team (on paper) IMO. They made more positive additions than any other team, and they haven't lost much. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

he was almost never injured before coming to Van........I think that was one of the things they liked about him.

True, but since coming to the grind of the wet coast, only one year in four was he injury free, and as I recall he was recovering from abdominal surgery in the first season here.

the team gets harder to play against definitely be contending for a playoff spots and its clear Benning has a plan for Sutter/Eriksson/Baerstchi pretty hard to start the season with that many players but I imagine they have a deal in the works

3 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

My guess is Ferland will come in slightly less than Johansson money.   Ferland has been proven to be a decent complimentary player but he has been a bit less productive than Johansson.

If I understand correctly, even if the Canucks are over the cap before the start of the season, since Roussel is expected to be in LTIR until December, they should have no trouble fitting Ferland under the cap to start the season.  They'll probably have to paper down Pettersson and Boeser to clear cap space to start the season in addition to sending down Eriksson and Schaller to gain even the little bit of cap relief that would provide.  CapFriendly has Gaudette, Sautner and Brisebois on the Canucks roster and they presumably will also be demoted.  That alone would save the Canucks a lot of cap space to allow them to rejig their roster after the season has started.

The addition of Ferland presumably spells the end of Goldobin.  He was already hard pressed to find a role with the team but with the addition of Ferland, I really can't see how Goldobin will have a roster spot.  He's skilled but he doesn't seem to have the type of game that the Canucks want to have on their roster. 

The Canucks could obviously still find a way to clear cap space before the end of the summer.  Perhaps the Canucks may have a trade to announce in the next few weeks simply based on the glut of forwards that we have.  They could wait until Roussel is closer to being healthy but if the rumors are true that the Canucks are looking to acquire Lucic for Roussel (another forward swap...), then maybe there are other contracts being exchanged as well.  I would think there would have to be a 3rd team involved to provide the Oilers and the Canucks with cap relief though.  Pure speculation on my part...

My god Lucic for Roussel is even worse than Loui for Lucic. 

Not sure how would work with cap. 

Roussel is a better and cheaper player than the other two. 

If true at 4x3.5 this is a great deal.

I guess his concussion history scared some teams. He hit me as a $5M player. 

With the 400 forwards we have under contract we should be able to field a healthy group of 12 forwards 2 or 3 times this season. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bubble Man said:

Aren’t we all predicting the future? Lol. If you are extremely happy about this contract aren’t you predicting success? 

I'm not predicting anything, but I'm assuming you're using the plural you to refer to the majority of posters in this thread. 3 or 4 years in the future is way too far into the future to be worried about contracts. In 3 years we will only have 9 contracts from this team unless players play themselves into new deals.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canucks

1 minute ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Apparently there's a NMC involved?

So far though, no one else is reporting that but PuckPedia and Sekeres. Any confirmation?

It's not like tying up like 3M is a big deal anyways.