The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Micheal Ferland

12 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

If he brings what he did to us that series with any regularity he's going to be one of the all time fan favs.  

Absolutely, he's coming off a few injuries, but is healthy now and I hope he can play a consistent game here. 

• Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

So I just read the Sportsnet article on offseason team improvement power rankings.  We’re 14th and laffs are top 10.  We should probably be #5 on any list this offseason but yah looks like canucks are going to be showing a lot of idiots up this year.

oh btw the Oilers were one spot behind us.  THE &^@#ING OILERS!!!!!

How are the Oilers in the top 25?  I guess Granny is a better player than we thought.  Doesn't Sportsnet realize the Oilers downgraded their starting goalie?

Also, without Rattie, they won't win any preseason games B)

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

Now that we have Ferland, Lucic is not coming here nor would we swap him for Roussel whose cap hit is 2x less per season and he can actually skate and keep up with the pace of the game.

Where did you come across this rumour...source?

In any case, very excited at the makeup of our team. As many have stated, we have skill, speed, tenacity and push back capability. Going to be an extremely fun time to be a Canucks fan and watch how we play under Green's style and the roster we now possess!

Go Canucks Go! Well done JB, fantastic signing!

Seriously, how come we get Ferland for such a low cap cost?  There are guys singing for 6 and 7 million per season who score a few more points, but don’t add the toughness and hard to play against intangibles that Ferland brings.  He’s getting half of what 60 point Double Flamingo!  That’s a steal!  

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, fecklund said:

He's played over 70 games in each of his 4 full seasons. 

Doesn't tell the whole story, he has left games with injuries as well only to be back the next game. Picks up a lot of knocks over the course of a season. Has managed to avoid a major injury so far though, which is good. 

7 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Wait, are you sure?

You do you, Rick.

:picard:

I don't get the hate this guy gets, he's by far the best local insider and probably broke the news of the deal today, even TSN were using his tweets(they just didn't give him credit).  He's asking a legit question.

6 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Is it time to put to bed the misconception that Benning is bad with free agent signings? Knowing CDC no, people still think Virtanen has no hockey IQ. 

TBH no, I mean Ferlund hasn't even played a game yet.  Hopefully these earlier signings was just learning on the job coupled with the fact the players themselves were disappointments.  

12 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Some,.     Still wish to take a totally different direction in life ....   

Aside from the fact that our 1st round pick is not available due to the Miller trade and a team must be in possession of all the required compensatory picks in order to have an offer sheet go through. Assuming the player signs it. 

I miss when writers that wanted to be taken seriously had a basic grasp of the actual facts. Good times.

Edited by Silver Ghost

1 minute ago, Tre Mac said:

I don't get the hate this guy gets, he's by far the best local insider and probably broke the news of the deal today, even TSN were using his tweets(they just didn't give him credit).  He's asking a legit question.

TBH no, I mean Ferlund hasn't even played a game yet.  Hopefully these earlier signings was just learning on the job coupled with the fact the players themselves were disappointments.  

Branden Tanev got the same dollars and two extra years.  Ferlund effects the game far more than young Tanev, right?  This deal is a steal.  Dhaliwal is great.  We totally agree. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Silver Ghost said:

Aside from the fact that our 1st round pick is not available due to the Miller trade and a team must be in possession of all the required compensatory picks in order to have an offer sheet go through. Assuming the player signs it. 

I miss when writers that wanted to be taken seriously had a basic grasp of the actual facts. Good times.

We can still send in an offer sheet on him just need 4 1sts in the next 5 years.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Silver Ghost said:

You dont need a first next year to offersheet marner, you just need 4 firsts within 5 years.

One thing i have noticed is the preponderance for posters to look at players as if they are in their prime and going to repeat their very best years. I see that this is being optimistic but is it being realistic?

Or how these signings indicate that this management group has to think the rebuild is over or they have abandoned it completely.

Sometimes it is not just the player but the position expected of the player and the ramifications that can happen.

On the bad outcome side  is Eriksson, his lack of top six potential has affected this team more negatively than is obvious. His position had to be replaced, the expected 25 to 30 goals per season.

What did the team do to replace him? If he scored 25 or 30 goals as season do they need to replace him?

It is possible to say they signed JT Miller. They may have anyway but if Eriksson was still a 25 or 30 goal scorer would the team need Miller?

Further the Eriksson bad outcome is, so far, the cost of the millions spent, the roster spot taken up that a younger player may have been able to learn in, a first round pick, a 3 round pick and ? He is still here.

Just looking up a little bit of injury history on Ferland, a lot of "upper body injuries" last season. Concussions? At least one after a fight. Dating back to December last year he is listed with an upper body injury an additional 6 times after, 2 - December, 2 - Jan., 4 - Feb through to May. Also most of his points came in the first 3 months of the season last year playing with AHO. Now this doesn't say he isna't a top six player but these inflated numbers may not come in Vancouver and these "upper body" injuries are still a mystery apart from him listed as having a concussion in December after that just the vague statement.

But what about Boeser now? Or Goldoblin? Trade bait? Sweeteners? How about Eriksson and Boeser for Minnesota's 1rst round pick in 2020 and a prospect?

They will have to move salary, i do expect that Boeser will not sign before the season starts so they can get Roussel onto LTIR but signing Ferland is starting to scream of selling out the future mostly because they will have to do something to fix the mistakes of bad contracts, add sweeteners, like 1rst round picks and young players.

So for some posters here this does help the team to a possible playoff spot to others this is selling out the future to save a job, this, IMO is not good for the franchise, if this bombs then what? Big deal if Benning is fired the damage he will have done will take another 7 years to overcome.

So plan the parade for a playoff game, that seems to be what is being sold. Good luck because Chicago has got better, much better and so has Dallas and the summer isn't done yet.

• Wat 1