VAN

1st

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 2
  • Wat 1

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

Here's the thing for me.

We can break down, analyze, criticize, speculate, project, guess, use Ouija Boards & Magic 8 Balls but....

We've screamed for things in the recent past and it becomes a matter of "are you ever satisfied?".  Sure, the ultimate goal is the cup but it's also important that we, as fans, have some fun along the way whether or not that's in the cards.  That we have a competitive, determined, fast, hard hitting team to watch.

We've made moves toward that.

So the results aren't in yet - how about we wait until this group has a chance to give it a go and prove what they can or cannot do.

I get being critical - but it gets tiring.  Give us at least a day here and there to celebrate.  We've earned it.

I don't ever feel that any one move makes or breaks us.  But I know that not making those moves eventually will.  We needed to get younger/faster...and we did.  Then it became a matter of needing some grit.  Check.  

I'm excited for next year and the details are worried about by guys that get paid to do so.  I'll leave them to fine tune the details.

Well said!!! Great perspective!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

Pettersson is not McDavid, Boeser is Not Draistl, the only real difference between the teams was goaltending, Markstrom had his best ever season and stole at least 8 games and probably 12 points all by himself, the Oilers lost 10 to 12 points through bad goal tending. That  is the game but both teams missed the playoffs

Gaudrea is not McDavid, Monahan is not Draisaitl. Yet Clagary has 2 great core players up front to go along with a strongly built team. They won the West and will be a thorn in the side of their provincial rivals for years when it comes to battling for a playoff spot. The same can be said about the Canucks with Petey and Boeser and what GMJB has done this offseason.

*A team is comprised of more than 2 players, no matter how elite. The last few seasons in Edmonton have been about what it should be, when you consider  what their supporting cast is and has been around McDavid and Draisaitl.

Thankfully we have been able to add to our supporting cast this summer (forwards specifically) with the likes of Miller and now Ferland. We will be a more well rounded and talented team in 19-20.

**The Oilers goaltending has been atrocious and they are cap crunched. Hence the Mike Smith hail mary 1 yr. contract...Mikko Koskinen making 4.5 per for 3 more years is absolutely laughable based on the fact he was awarded the contract for such a small NHL sample size (thanks chia)

Overall, I much prefer where we are at with our roster in comparison to the Oilers. And it seems some more moves will be forthcoming for us before the puck drops in the fall.

• Upvote 1

Miller Petey Boeser

Ferland Bo Pearson

Roussel Sutter Virtanen

Beagle Gaudette Leivo

when Roussel is healthy- that lineup would be very tough to play against, I still think to be a sure fire playoff team we need another top offensive player, but this team is superior to last years on paper for sure

I think JB has done a tremendous job given the cap issues

notice how LE and Beartschi are not on this list...

very surprised we got Ferland, especially at this cap hit

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

I wouldn't be surprised if we'd win the stanley cup and still have someone going "but we're not a good team for next year" or something silly like that. lol

Read some of that in the Raptor’s talk.  “What about next year?”  Who cares about next year?  Celebrate this year! 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Just woke up to this news. Stoked.

This is a playoff team. 

Deep forward group, for sure, especially if some of the young guys who have already made an impact take another step, which is completely possible for guys like EP, Boeser, Virtanen and Gaudette.

Defense still really depends on the health of Edler and Tanev.

And then of course, the most important aspect: goaltending; Markstrom will have to play like he did in the 2nd half of this past season. It's really his only "great" body of work at the NHL level, so I'm not sure if it's enough of a sample size to bank on. We'll see.

Luck permitting (and we're due), wouldn't be surprised if we get in.

Edited by kanucks25
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Read some of that in the Raptor’s talk.  “What about next year?”  Who cares about next year?  Celebrate this year! 

Yeah, and it's not like the Raptors are even a bad team next year. lol

Just now, kanucks25 said:

Deep forward group, for sure, especially if some of the young guys who have already made an impact take another step, which is completely possible for guys like EP, Boeser, Virtanen and Gaudette.

Defense still really depends on the health of Edler and Tanev.

And then of course, the most important aspect: goaltending; Markstrom will have to play like he did in the 2nd half of this past season. It's really his only "great" body of work at the NHL level, so I'm not sure if it's enough of a sample size to bank on. We'll see.

Better schedule and the insulation that Meyers, Hughes and Benn will hopefully keep Eddie and Tanev healthier. Even if that doesn't happen, we have a blueline where we don't have to play a bottom pairing defenseman 30 minutes a night when they're both out. We shall see anyways. 

But looking at the roster now, this team should make it imo.

• Cheers 1