The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Micheal Ferland

Just now, Pickly said:

Now THIS is a signing we can all get behind. Ferkland is an element this team sorely lacks and needs to be a playoff team. 

I wish this was true but there will be an element on here that say contract is too long or too much, then another element that will say Ferland is injury prone etc. I am 100% behind this as I remember how Ferland single-handedly won Calgary that playoff series against us. Calgary has him last year I think they go deeper in the playoffs

• Upvote 2

Just now, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

With the additions this off season this team is gonna be a tougher team to play against. 

if the other team wants to take the game to the gutter put him on the top line on Petey's wing.  He played very well with top line players in Calgary and Carolina.

• Upvote 1

Cap space or not, this was another signing to ensure our youth will be protected especially when we make the playoffs. That SCF this past spring had me worried about our wonder boy getting pummeled. Well with these addictions I think we can safely say we have a safe environment for Petey and co to keep doing their thing. It’s not September yet so being cap compliant doesn’t concern me.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Sutter yes

Loui ... who would take him without retaining salary?

Tanev worth more to us than a trade could bring in

I disagree - I think the moves Benning made this off season make him redundant - especially with his injury history. He can bring back some form of asset - prospect or picks in a trade.

Just now, MikeBossy said:

I wish this was true but there will be an element on here that say contract is too long or too much, then another element that will say Ferland is injury prone etc. I am 100% behind this as I remember how Ferland single-handedly won Calgary that playoff series against us. Calgary has him last year I think they go deeper in the playoffs

Meh, if the refs let us get away with taking runs at players without penalties, we’d win a lot of series ourselves.  Imagine Torres with an immunity idol?  Heck, Aaron Rome got suspended for a less than second late hit in the Finals.

1 minute ago, Zoolander said:

Here's my ideal lineup after camp... only question mark is Baer and if he can stay healthy in the middle 6

Leivo - Pettersson - Boeser 

Miller - Horvat - Pearson 

Baertschi - Gaudette - Virtanen 

Roussel  - Beagle - Ferland 

Edler - Hughes

Myers - Stecher

Benn - Tanev

While it's possible that the Canucks will deal Sutter this summer, I have a feeling he'll start the season with the team so I would exchange Gaudette with Sutter.  Not as complimentary a skill set as Gaudette would be with Baertschi and Virtanen, but still not a bad line-up.

I'm also now expecting Ferland to possible ride shotgun with Pettersson and Boeser with Miller moving to RW with Horvat and Pearson.  Miller and Ferland may rotate between the two lines.  Leivo can move up and down the line-up on either wing.  While it sucks for Leivo to be pushed down the depth chart, I don't think this will be like the Leafs where he couldn't even get PT.

• Upvote 1

Just now, MikeBossy said:

I disagree - I think the moves Benning made this off season make him redundant - especially with his injury history. He can bring back some form of asset - prospect or picks in a trade.

Who is Tanev exactly redundant with?  Stecher?