The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Micheal Ferland

7 hours ago, HKSR said:

Man oh man, this team is feeling more and more like '94.

Add in Podkolzin and hopefully Tryamkin... and we are one tough SOB of a team.

Add in a Woo as well and nobody messing with this team

1 minute ago, BPA said:

I think we will be giving TB our 2020 1st round pick after all.

:)

We kind of ran out of steam towards the end of the season but I attribute that to having too many guys play outside of their natural (and best suited) roles.
Despite that though, you had to work hard to beat our team last year, pretty much every night.
What Benning has done is take the pressure off those guys who were asked to play over their heads last year, in adding some real key pieces.
I'm already on record saying Markstrom is going to have a helluva year with possibly a Vezina nod.
If we can cut out some of the fat still sticking around, this team could surprise.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Wonder if Calgary will have signs that say “traitor!!” :lol:

The most used sign in Calgary is ‘IM WITH STUPID!’ with an arrow pointing straight down.  

I could see them trying your sign, but it would say ‘TRAYDER’.  

Im from the area.  Trust me.  These are accurate.  :) 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Though I think he's going to be riding shotgun with Petey, your lineup birngs up an excellentpoint that TG now has the ability to move players around to counter the teams they're up against.  Suddenly they don't have a bit of depth, they have a ton of depth and most of the guys can play multiple roles.  Imagine Roussel and Ferland on a line together, going up aaginst Johhny Hockey and Monahan shift after shift?

Ferland - Roussel - Virtanen

Benn - Myers

The munchkins won't stand a chance.

• Upvote 1

One thing about these signings is that it seems like they all really want to be here. Either they wanted to be here from the start, or they were absolutely sold on the team and the city by management, which in turn helped keep the prices lower than they could have otherwise been.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Nigerian said:

I have to say, personally, I find Ferland better on Peteys line rather than Horvats. Horvat needs more skill on his line rather than grit. Boeser and Petey are two very skilled forwards who could use the grit working on the boards/net presence/dirty areas. Horvat and Miller would provide that second punch with a winger of Pearson/Leivo/Virtanen. 

Im just gushing at the possibilities with our depth in the next couple of years, Fam. 

It's an interesting point - Miller is the better playmaker imo - which also makes him somewhat ideal with EP and Boeser, both who are lethal when they shoot the puck - although Ferland brings more deterence/toughness alongside EP - and as you say, a playmaking element on the Horvat line could serve as well.  

I think I'd lean towards loading up EP's line - because with Miller, EP, Boeser - they would be getting high ozone starts - I'd like to see them maximize the impact that line can have.   You never know though - Ferland creates a lot of space, forechecks hard  - that could also really serve the EP line.   If there were no Miller, it would still be a great signing at those terms - but getting both of them = great work imo.

Beyond that EP line, all three of the Horvat, Sutter and Beagle lines can handle hard minutes - will be hard to produce against imo and could make life easier not only for EP's line, but also the Hughes pairing.

I like the idea of a Pearson Horvat Ferland line - I think that's a miserable line to have to deal with - speed, transition, forecheck, hard areas, hard to play against....the team finally has some elements to tenderize the opponent's blueline with.

It's nice to have a pair of really viable winger options though with Miller and Ferland, whichever ways Green puts that together.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

Just now, Tyndall2 said:

Got to some how get rid of Erickkson.  Can he be sent to Utica?  I know, a pretty pricey player to be playing in the AHL.  

Loui either retires, or plays in Utica.  There is no other outcome. 

1 minute ago, Tyndall2 said:

Got to some how get rid of Erickkson.  Can he be sent to Utica?  I know, a pretty pricey player to be playing in the AHL.  

he's likely in Van as the 13th fwd.......he's a guy who can slot into to any spot in the lineup in case of injury.  We may not like his contract, or reports from the media, but he can still be a contributing member of the club.  Obviously moving him is the goal, but not if they have to add a sweetner, imo.......he can still play.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Loui either retires, or plays in Utica.  There is no other outcome. 

Are you really still on the retirement thing?

His agent said he is NOT done with the NHL and plans to play out his contract.  

Plans to play out his contract doesn’t sound like someone who is gonna be walking away in a month or two.   

• Cheers 1