The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Micheal Ferland

5 hours ago, dontaylorforprez said:

That’s what I was saying earlier.. I’d even throw in Sutter to add a little butter.. he’ll, throw in a late pick and we could almost have a deal.. heard Columbus needs help..? Would that be enough to land Jenner? Or would that be a “deep-bowled” pipe dream?

No, I think Jenner would cost more than that. Would love to add Jenner though. 

1 minute ago, Tyndall2 said:

If he retires do the Canucks get stuck with some type of CAP hit?

No cap.  He retires and disappears along with his contract.  He goes to Utica and we get 1 million about in cap saving, which goes to whomever (MacEwan?) takes his spot up here.  

30 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

image.png.b36a890052e8f0d3391448964671f95e.png

For all the old folks out there:  does anyone remember the "garbage eaters" that used to be on the Upper Levels out to Horseshoe Bay in the 60's and 70's?  They were garbage cans in the shape of big green birds with white teeth on a hinge that you pushed in to deposit your garbage.  I always had this feeling of deja vu around Dubas, and now I know what it is!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Are you really still on the retirement thing?

His agent said he is NOT done with the NHL and plans to play out his contract.  

Plans to play out his contract doesn’t sound like someone who is gonna be walking away in a month or two.   

Let’s give the whole idea of playing in the AHL settle into Loui’s mind.  I don’t think his agent could say anything else at this point, could he? 

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

There is about 7.88 million of cap space with which to sign Boeser - not including the LTIR flexibility with Roussel.

In other words, more than enough cap remaining.

No need to dump Boeser into an LE dump - that is a horrible idea.

They can still add if they want.

If they decide to take advantage of a cap deflated free agent market, they could still sign a depth defenseman - and there are a few good ones left out there - for 1 million - and it would be inconsequential to their cap space.  I like their youth depth on the left side (Sautner, Juolevi, Brisebois) - but they are still able to add a depth D - and still have 4 contract spaces - (1 to Brock, maybe one to Goldy if he isn't dealt) - and two remaining for depth.

or take back a contract if they can find someone to take Loui. 

7 hours ago, 250Integra said:

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Baertschi - Horvat - Leivo

Ferland - Sutter - Virtanen

Roussel - Beagle - Gaudette

Goldobin

Edler - Tanev

Hughes - Myers

Benn - Stecher

This is near perfect imo

I will differ from most?  I would have Baer top line & Miller 2knd line.  Extra speed, dangle and puck class.

But it would change a lot.  Miller or Ferland top line on the road, or as a bigger body was needed for match ups. Remember, he was a top 15 drafted skill set.

Part and parcel, Ferland is the perfect 3rd line wing. Can play 2knd capably.  And first if called on.  Cudo’s to Jim for bringing him in at 3.5 mill. Miller the perfect 2knd line player capable of plying first.

i was against signing this player.  But that was based on reports the ask was 5 or 6 years to $5 or $6 mill, or higher.  We waited for the secondary market.  And scored Ferland at a very fair price!

:towel:

• Upvote 1

Just now, logic said:

Our forward group is just sick, I would put a bet on us having the most 15 goal scorers in the NHL next season

Potentially 20+ too: Petey, Brock, Ferland, Miller, Bo, Pearson, Jake, Baer (if healthy), etc. Damn, JB, is on fire. 

31 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

In hearing a clip from JP Barry from this morning on 1040, it sounds like both sides want to get this thing out of the way.

Said they're past any requests on the board and they're all looking for a solution and that changes can still happen.   With the FA wave having subsided it opens the door for a trade or ?  

I'm glad it's not just a matter of "he loves it here and wants to stay".  It seems everyone wants to close this chapter and move on so...hopefully.

Yes, they want LE out as well. However, he also said the most likely solution is us having to take back another (bad) contract in exchange. I hope not, as we still have 3 or 4 of them.

16 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

One thing about these signings is that it seems like they all really want to be here. Either they wanted to be here from the start, or they were absolutely sold on the team and the city by management, which in turn helped keep the prices lower than they could have otherwise been.

There was a quote earlier in the thread from Ferland who said that both himself and Tyler Myers were impressed with Travis Green and that he made the difference compared to other teams....

• Cheers 4