The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Micheal Ferland

I suppose some thanks to the Flames and Hurricanes for developing this fine young player, who will be a fan favourite in VAN for years. He's entering his prime, perfect timing. Benning did say that teams that win have players between 27 and 32? (or something like that).

Well, he brought in:

J.T. Miller - 26

Ferland - 27

Myers - 29

Benn - 31

Fantenberg - 27

Benning isn't messing around this year.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thinking about Ferland's acquisition a bit more, it reminds me a bit of the acquisition of Raffi Torres in 2010.  Now Ferland doesn't have nearly the same rep as Torres and, IMHO, is a much better player.  The comparison though is that Ferland brings the Canucks a similar physical element that Torres brought when he joined the 2010-2011 team.  Now I might be wrong, but I felt that Torres' addition changed the way the Canucks played and the way opposition teams played them.  Ferland may have a similar effect particularly if he can keep his style of play, stay healthy and avoid suspensions.  The Canucks will be even better served if Ferland's play inspires Virtanen.

Overall I like the addition and it's helping to bring excitement to the upcoming season.  The main wildcard right now is what the Canucks will do with the glut of forwards they have so that will be an interesting story line to follow over the summer.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RonMexico said:

Who could be that myopic though? The fact that Linden got canned shows the plan changed.

Yeah, don't think you know what that word means, because quite ironically it applies directly to those who can NOT see the long term plan or big picture but only what's right in front of their face, always reacting to every move in isolation instead of seeing it in context of the overall plan.

9 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Oh they exist

Yep. When you have lost a president and a head coach obviously things aren’t going as planned. But some people here are quite stubborn.

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

This is exactly right and it’s easy to see. Although you still see a lot of posters on this board with the belief that the focus hasn’t changed and the plan has been the same since day one.  

Not only condescending but borderline trolling.

42 minutes ago, aGENT said:

No, we see it as part of the evolution of the plan.

It's been explained countless times but the "stubbornness" is on the part of the eternal critics who either ignorantly or willfully are blind of what's happened.

Even the vaunted #shanaplan didn't come in and blow things up day one (in fact, they never did anyway).  Likewise JB and Linden came in the first year with a view to analyze the team and roster, while starting to make changes.  Kesler was forced on them, they moved out NTC Garrison for Dorsett, and got Vey as the first of many younger stop-gaps to fill the emerging holes.  Yes they admitted they were giving that core another shot that year, as part of the overall process of analysis and where to start making the changes, NOT as "a different plan that then changed."

The following years were of moving out older players and NTCs and bringing in stop-gaps and placeholders - a.k.a. TRANSITIONING -  typically younger ones with upside with the prospective hope they could even become part of the new core; players exactly like Baertschi, Vey, Etem, Pedan, etc., while we waited for draft picks to be chosen and developed.  Along the way we've been able to draft higher-end talent and brought them into the roster, all the while making sure they are properly sheltered by capable veterans, NOT signing them as "mixed messages trying to make the playoff so Aqualini makes more money."

Now we're at the point where the Sedins are gone and the kids have taken over and are now the core.  They are productive and have bottom-6 sheltering, so we can now add complementary pieces around them to fill out the roster into a competitive playoff team.  Oh look, the team's been completely rebuilt -- how'd that happen??

The team was transitioned, rebuilt, whatever you want to call or label it, in a mere five years, and if you want to play the "changed plans mixed messages" game then fine, then you have admit they did it in just four or less -- even more remarkable.  Some saw it early on, some eyes were opened along the way, and MOST are seeing it now.  The truly STUBBORN ones are those who by their own ego and short-sightedness were in denial and missed the boat the entire time by criticizing everything out of (admitted) ignorance and lack of perspective.  Fortunately those numbers have become EXTREMELY small, as we knew they eventually would, of course including the select few "usual suspects."

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

there are going to be people upset if this team makes the playoffs. Makes me wonder why they watch this team at all. 

I know right? "Why didn't we tank for the deep 2020 draft?"

I bet that's the exact sentence used too. lol

• Cheers 1

Just now, The Lock said:

I know right? "Why didn't we tank for the deep 2020 draft?"

I bet that's the exact sentence used too. lol

oh, its going to be more than that. It will be generational. The most generational ever. Draft of a lifetime. Best draft in the history of the NHL. 

• Haha 2

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

oh, its going to be more than that. It will be generational. The most generational ever. Draft of a lifetime. Best draft in the history of the NHL. 

And the depth will drop off EXACTLY at the end of the 1st round. Pick 31? The next McDavid! Pick 32? Bust!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Thinking about Ferland's acquisition a bit more, it reminds me a bit of the acquisition of Raffi Torres in 2010.  Now Ferland doesn't have nearly the same rep as Torres and, IMHO, is a much better player.  The comparison though is that Ferland brings the Canucks a similar physical element that Torres brought when he joined the 2010-2011 team.  Now I might be wrong, but I felt that Torres' addition changed the way the Canucks played and the way opposition teams played them.  Ferland may have a similar effect particularly if he can keep his style of play, stay healthy and avoid suspensions.  The Canucks will be even better served if Ferland's play inspires Virtanen.

Overall I like the addition and it's helping to bring excitement to the upcoming season.  The main wildcard right now is what the Canucks will do with the glut of forwards they have so that will be an interesting story line to follow over the summer.

I'm liking what it means for guys like that little pee-rick Kadri - now in Colorado.  Watch your back Nazem - you've got it coming.

Or the likes of McMe1st - who could not handle DDorsett - and now has nightmares about Ferland under his bed to contend with (once again).

41 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

I haven’t looked but who are the likely candidates (if you know off the top of your head)?

quinn vs jack for sure (won’t that be fun!)

kakko

who else? 

Then Hughes, might be one or two more, Byram might make the conversation if he makes opening night roster.

• Upvote 1