The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Micheal Ferland

16 minutes ago, luckylager said:

I'd prefer to keep him. He's a very smart and crafty player but I think his talents would be wasted on Sutter.

I don't see that happening. We need a healthy Tanev to anchor Hughes IMO. Allow the kid to really jump up in the play.

The uncertainty of a “Healthy Tanev”..   this is becoming an experiment in futility that holds back solid D pairings right through the entire D core.     End takes up 4.5 in Capspace for a player who is absent .   No.     Tanev is weak physically and could not support Hughes game properly.    

Just now, SilentSam said:

The uncertainty of a “Healthy Tanev”..   this is becoming an experiment in futility that holds back solid D pairings right through the entire D core.     End takes up 4.5 in Capspace for a player who is absent .   No.     Tanev is weak physically and could not support Hughes game properly.    

Interesting. I don't think Hughes needs a physical dman, just a responsible one.

But I agree, holding our breath hoping for Tanev to stay healthy is ridiculous, but I can't help it.

Lots of off season left

2 hours ago, Darius said:

Over at calgary puck and hf calgary the majority seem to like ferland and dont like that he ended up playing with a rival they dont particularly like.

im looking forward to how the the team handles guys like Kadri (now in our conference) and other pests whose job it is to get under the top line's skin.  They are much better equipped to handle this now than they were a year ago where everyone lost their $hit if Gudbranson didnt go nuclear...they can put a tough/pushback type player on each line.

FTFY 

The Avs were moved from the Pacific Division when they realigned for the Las Vegas expansion. 

It will definitely be an interesting matchup however as within the conference we will still see him more than with Toronto.  

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

CDC & HF are polar opposites. 

The problem with HF(Bs) is that anyone signed in; regardless of which team they support, can invade other team forums.  There's no telling whether the posts are created by Canucks fans or fans from other teams that are just trolling.  It's just too easy for them...and apparently endless fun for the bored and uninspired.

35 minutes ago, tas said:

you don't consider turning over 20 of 23 roster spots and going from a rapidly declining, last kick at the can team to a rapidly rising, contending for the playoffs team, including bottoming out entirely in the middle, in 5 offseasons, a quick turnaround?

When did I say that?  I think they done a great job turning the team around in the last 3 years. I’m just pointing out the obvious, to which you just stated as well.  

The first few years was about giving the team a “last kick at the can.”

the second half was about building it up

and getting back into meaningful games.  

Seems like were on the same page. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

When did I say that?  I think they done a great job turning the team around in the last 3 years. I’m just pointing out the obvious, to which you just stated as well.  

The first few years was about giving the team a “last kick at the can.”

the second half was about building it up

and getting back into meaningful games.  

Seems like were on the same page. 

no. benning's mandate or plan was never another kick at the can, but he inherited the roster that he inherited, and that's what it was built for. 

45 minutes ago, tas said:

you don't consider turning over 20 of 23 roster spots and going from a rapidly declining, last kick at the can team to a rapidly rising, contending for the playoffs team, including bottoming out entirely in the middle, in 5 offseasons, a quick turnaround?

30 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

This is a really interesting point in all of this. It calls into question how people perceive time in regard to the word "turnaround". Well done!

Canucks still refuse to rebuild...

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

eriksson NTC

vanek NTC

suter ntc

beagle ntc

rousell ntc

Did Vanek have a NTC? CapFriendly isn't showing one for that contract (maybe they just don't have all the information from back then), but regardless, he was traded anyway.

With the rest of them, obviously they have them. However, the smart thing he's doing with them is these clauses all deteriorate in power over the courses of their respective contracts. For example, Roussel's NTC goes from a 15 team no-trade list last season, down to an 8 team no-trade list for the next two seasons, and finally a 5 team no-trade list in the final season (the Beagle, Ferland, Sutter contracts all change similarly). So regardless of them being given out, it's not like he's giving full NT/MCs, where there's no way out in the event the player under performs. Even Eriksson's contract, by far the worst of them, changes to a 15 team no-trade list after this season (which might not matter anyway, as both sides seem to be looking for a way out). I don't know how this compares with other teams, but since Eriksson's signing, he's put a bigger emphasis on this aspect of his contracts.

No GM signs a player expecting to trade them right away, so if said player wants a NTC for the first year or two, that's really not a problem. It's after that, when the team may want more flexibility, that matters more in this regard. If that list of contracts you just provided is any indication, he's learned how to use these clauses to his advantage pretty well. Hell, throw Myers in there too (I believe his contract was specifically designed to make him the most appealing option for the ED).

This isn't a counter to your post or a taking of sides with HW — just an observation. Not interested in the rest of your post.

• Cheers 4

2 minutes ago, tas said:

no. benning's mandate or plan was never another kick at the can, but he inherited the roster that he inherited, and that's what it was built for. 

And he supported that rosters but bringing in complementary pieces to that inherited roster.

UFA vets, players “built” for playoffs, and cheaper youth that could make an impact in the nhl quicker than a draft pick. Aka retool on the fly. 

Once that “oil well” was proven to be completely dry. They reset. Hired a new coach and changed the focus with the plan to “rebuild”

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Wanless said:

Different positions sure

But when scoring is an issue you go out and get it. 

Anderssons TOI was 16/game, 19 points. 

Hutton had 25 his first full year as a comparable. 

The point is we got a second liner

Flames got a 5-6 dman. They're everywhere. Hell we had 4 on the bench each game last year

You weren't comparing Andersson to Hutton you were comparing him to Baer.

Andersson was 20 when he started in the league, Hutton was 23.

Flames got a 5-6 D man as a rookie.  He just finished his second year.  Now since your posting on CDC you probably assume by the second year in the league he is a finished product but he is still developing.  Put in our lineup last year he would have been a lot higher than third pairing D.

Anyway, the point I was making is you can't just plug in how many points a player got and assume that tells the whole story especially since they play different positions.  By this logic, Tanev at his peak didn't have the value of most fourth line wingers.

1 minute ago, DrJockitch said:

You weren't comparing Andersson to Hutton you were comparing him to Baer.

Andersson was 20 when he started in the league, Hutton was 23.

Flames got a 5-6 D man as a rookie.  He just finished his second year.  Now since your posting on CDC you probably assume by the second year in the league he is a finished product but he is still developing.  Put in our lineup last year he would have been a lot higher than third pairing D.

Anyway, the point I was making is you can't just plug in how many points a player got and assume that tells the whole story especially since they play different positions.  By this logic, Tanev at his peak didn't have the value of most fourth line wingers.

Anderson played with top D who could shelter him.  It’s the Gretzky effect.  

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

I think it depends.

If he's here and healthy, it could possibly be...

Miller/Ferland EP Boeser

Baertschi Horvat Ferland/Miller

Pearson Sutter Virtanen

Leivo Beagle Motte

I think the 3 additions - MIller, Ferland, Pearson - probably push Goldobin out, and probably LE - of the 3 I'd prefer to keep Baertschi unless there is a decent market for him - no need to dump him, no need for cap space or to sell low on him imo - and the competition could just push him to another level - in which case Pearson (may have good chemistry with Horvat, but so does Baertschi) - Pearson isn't exactly a misfit in 3LW type role (maybe better suited than Baertschi). 

Great problem to have imo when guys like Baer, LE, Goldy are on the edges of your lineup - and Schaller (a pretty good, serviceable depth forward) is a longshot to earn a spot.

I agree with that sentiment. I just don’t think Pearson will end up on the 3rd line. He and BO showed great chemistry last year. Throw Miller on that line and it could be a solid second line. Which puts Baertschi on the 3rd line where Leivo is a better fit. 

Good depth to have. Like you said we probably don’t have a cap issue this year even with Baertschi around as I think Benning is done with signings other than Brock and maybe Goldobin. 

I’d rather personally keep Goldobin around for another year on a cheap contract as our 13tj forward then have Baertschi sit in the press box but we will see what Benning and Green have planned. 

4 minutes ago, tas said:

Drafting Tryamkin, Demko, Virtanen, Gaudette, Brisebois, Boeser, Lockwood, Juolevi, Rathbone, DiPietro, Gadjo, Lind and Pettersson while acquiring young players like Vey, Baer, Etem, Granlund etc = 'going for it' / 'last kick at the can'

Acquiring Gagner, MDZ, Vanek, Leivo, Pearson, Beagle, Roussel and this summer Edler, Myers, Benn, Miller, Ferland = FINALLY! Rebuild!

:blink:

:lol:

• Wat 1

4 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

And on July 10 Ferland signs for 3.5 million AAV  it's a Canuck fan's rejoice.

Rejoice? F! I was extatic, still am in a way, 2 good top 6 guys and physical and same on D

Went from fairly soft team who repeatedly got beat on to a team who you wouldn't want to make mad..

After watching butter for the majority of the last 40 yrs of that was getting painful beyond words

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

Start the conversation with Buffalo..

Baer, Tanev  for Ristolianen..       anything can happen.

Wrong side, wrong wing.  The Buffalo news today:  

Behind Ristolainen on the right side are Montour, Miller, Jokiharju and Zach Bogosian (who doesn't figure to start the season due to hip surgery). Throw in on-the-cusp-of-the-NHL Borgen, Casey Nelson and Fitzgerald and you've got a massive surplus.

The Sabres are ultra heavy at right defense and left wing and far too thin at center and right wing.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

And he supported that rosters but bringing in complementary pieces to that inherited roster.

UFA vets, players “built” for playoffs, and cheaper youth that could make an impact in the nhl quicker than a draft pick. Aka retool on the fly. 

Once that “oil well” was proven to be completely dry. They reset. Hired a new coach and changed the focus with the plan to “rebuild”

no. he simply recognized what point in the lifecycle the roster he was overtaking was at and did what he had to do to get to where we are now. moving on from kesler, garrison, hamhuis, higgins, etc. wasn't taking a last stab at glory. he filled in the age and roster gaps as best he could with his hands tied by long term contracts that either nobody wanted or that had NMC/NTC. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3