The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Micheal Ferland

2 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Yeah, don't think you know what that word means, because quite ironically it applies directly to those who can NOT see the long term plan or big picture but only what's right in front of their face, always reacting to every move in isolation instead of seeing it in context of the overall plan.

I know what it means. As in how can someone be so short sighted to think that the plan hasn't changed many times since the day Benning started.

4 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I still have this relic..  very sharp blade on it ,

has retired as a weapon of self defence, . Vandals, thieves, hooligans, ect.. ect..  oh and the odd spider kill.

When I was a kid, Chris Oddleifson gave me a stick.  He was my first favorite player, so I was excited, but we never had a place for it so it lived in the closet.  It wasn't autographed, and it had a chip in the blade, so it wasn't otherwise special.  After a few years, in my early teens, I needed a new stick for street hockey, so I got out the saw and slapped a Superblade on it.  Mixed feelings cutting it, but then I was using his stick, which was kinda fun too.

Thing weighed a ton, and probably tired me out quicker, but it never broke. 

Wish I had a pic of me when I got it, though.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And they are all at cap numbers that leave plenty for the young core guys.  

And.. movement..  that’s the big one,.  That’s the activation of the revolving door for prospects (and we have great potential in ours) to push the vets on this team at a time where those vets are potentially assets for picks from other teams when the time is right..

Eventually we MIGHT see a Podolzkin push a Boeser on to another team..  and in return we continue with lining up the future of the franchise.

Benning could be here a long time after this season.. gets to be Godfather for the Team he played for.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Is this the best signing of the off-season?

Ferlund is only 27 years old, an age where many NHL players are in their prime and expected to stay in their prime for a few years at least.

He is a legitimate Power Forward, fully developed, controls the front of the net on the power play, hits like a cement truck, and backs it all up with his own very good pugilism.

He is a fan favorite and (if reports are true) a valued teammate.

He tallied 18, 25, 41, and 40 points in his last 4 years and averaged 73 games per year.

He is 6 foot 1 and 217 pounds and skates like the wind.

He also fills a position where we were lacking as well as bringing some of the toughest play in the league.

We signed all of this for $3.5m per year for four years without crippling contract provisions.

What am I missing here?

I can't believe we got all this for this price and terms.

Me either.. stokeddddddd! 

This is making the summer really drag on now!  Ughhh.. can hardly wait to see what this roster can do!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Reminded me of my first stick purchases, a Sher-Wood, and later that fall, a Victoriaville.

Both were about that same price, which was a heck of a lot of money to me in the sixties.

(Sorry it is off topic; just had my failing old memories stirred...)

Yeah i bought both those sticks used from guys who played in men's hockey and cut em down.. i think i was 13-14 at the time.. both sher and vics were ok but that titan was my fave, had good flex and durable, rifled many a good snap shot with it.. fack i love hockey! Will to the day i croak! Well unless bettman has a son and he takes over from dad.. at that point i'd shave a stick into a sharp end and do the japanese suicide thing.. 

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Agreed. Other than injury replacement I do not see him breaking into that top 6. Ideally JB can move him for a pick. Baer does have serious talent but does that reside in a 3rd line role? He could surprise and come out strong in October. I honestly have to see Miller and Ferland play to see how this shakes out. There is always a market for players after the first 15 - 20 games.  Does Pearson start as strong as he finished? 

Miller is a stud. He will come as delivered. Ferland can’t wait to start hitting some of his old teammates. He’s gonna bust some nuts playing with Petey and Brock. It will be like Manna from Heaven for him. 

As for the 3rd line I like Leivo and Virtanen on there. 2 big bodies. We have other players who can fill in for injuries. We have good depth now because of Benning’s great summer signings. 

Eriksson and Baertschi are excess baggage at this pint. Get what you can for them and move on. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, iceman64 said:

Yeah i bought both those sticks used from guys who played in men's hockey and cut em down.. i think i was 13-14 at the time.. both sher and vics were ok but that titan was my fave, had good flex and durable, rifled many a good snap shot with it.. fack i love hockey! Will to the day i croak! Well unless bettman has a son and he takes over from dad.. at that point i'd shave a stick into a sharp end and do the japanese suicide thing.. 

My go to stick was the Koho Revolution Mario Lemieux curve. Unbreakeable and great all around curve in the blade. 

4 hours ago, higgyfan said:

In 3 years, LE's contract will be finished, but I would think it could easily be bought out the year before, if need be.  Add that to your calculated 25m and voila!  There's 31m + whatever salary cap increases.  Thankfully, there are no NMCs, so any player can be traded at any time, if required.

I’m not so sure about buying out LE at any time given the way his pay was given out.  We’d have to add all his bonus payment plus 6 million divided into two...pretty sure he’s never getting bought out..

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

I’m not so sure about buying out LE at any time given the way his pay was given out.  We’d have to add all his bonus payment plus 6 million divided into two...pretty sure he’s never getting bought out..

Once again we come to the only conclusion for Loui, Utica. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Hmmm that looks strangely familiar lmao! 

I remember my dad on the farm saying, “what the hell are you doing; hot water costs money?”  I’d have the tub full and my sticks soaking.  God he’d get pissed.  Man “those were the days”. 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I remember my dad on the farm saying, “what the hell are you doing; hot water costs money?”  I’d have the tub full and my sticks soaking.  God he’d get pissed.  Man “those were the days”. 

Let's not forget "close the door I'm not heating the whole neighbourhood."

Edited by Ryan Strome
  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Let's not forget "close the door I'm not heating the whole neighbourhood."

Followed by.. stop crying or i'll REALLY give you something to cry about... coming from a 240 pound scottish dad wasn't pleasant to hear either..

However he paid for my hockey so all was forgiven 

Edited by iceman64
  • Cheers 3